Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GS 450E -82
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just wanted to show off my Suzuki GS 450E Tracker build :)

This is my attempt at building a poor mans supermoto.

The fueltank and seat are both Snell brand and the rear shock is from a Yamaha WRX 125 which is mounted to a Yamaha DT swingarm along with some 17" spoke wheels I bought from a friend. I've been looking at ways of making the rear stiffer since most shocks I've found used are meant for a linkage and too soft. I tried a Yamaha fz-08 rear shock that also turned out to be way too soft. Any recomendations would be appreciated!

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
To spring the rear heavier, you can either replace the spring with a heavier rated spring or change the angle on the shock so it's mounted more vertical. If you remove the spring from the shock body and mount only the shock body on the frame, you can determine if the mounting angle is going to provide the correct amount of wheel travel, if you already did that and the shock needs to be mounted as it is now, then a heavier spring is the better option.
... springs are not cheap, you are looking at 100$+ and it would be wise to determine the spring rate of what you have now so you can shop for something heavier duty.

·
Registered
Suzuki GS 450E -82
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To spring the rear heavier, you can either replace the spring with a heavier rated spring or change the angle on the shock so it's mounted more vertical. If you remove the spring from the shock body and mount only the shock body on the frame, you can determine if the mounting angle is going to provide the correct amount of wheel travel, if you already did that and the shock needs to be mounted as it is now, then a heavier spring is the better option.
... springs are not cheap, you are looking at 100$+ and it would be wise to determine the spring rate of what you have now so you can shop for something heavier duty.
Yeah I've been thinking about getting a new spring but thing is... I forgot I left the shock at the lowest preload setting so that's why it was so soft o_O. The bike is pretty high so the chain angle is pretty steep. I've solved this by buying the largest, thickest cutting board I could find and cut out loads of chain sliders I can replace once they wear completely :LOL:.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Preload can only do so much and then eventually you need to go to a heavier spring, nothing wrong with wood sliders for a chain, that's a perfectly good bush fix, chains going to ride on the centre rollers anyway. The steep swingarm can make the rear launch when you put the power to the chain, it's going to compress your rear suspension lots.
Test rides will tell you what you need to do (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts