Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am very new to all of this and i was wondering what you all thought about a 1977 suzuki GS 750 build. I did a search but didn't turn up much. If you know of a link to someone who is doing a build on a GS or similer suzuki or had thoughts and pictures on one please send them my way. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Seat looks a tad big. Looks nice though. Screw looking for what other people have or are doing. Just build what you want out of the bike.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
i have a soft spot for GS750's, heres one i restored in memory of a late friend..

what is it you need to know mate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wanted to see other peoples projects to get some idea on how to do mine. I don't know if i want to keep it more stock or modify it a lot. I really love both looks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Borzwazie it looks great to me, the tail is alittle large but if it was mine i wouldn't complain. RetroTony that bike looks killer, hopefully if i keep it stock i can make it look have as good as that one. But right now it's heads or tails if i'm going to try and keep it stock or try and make it a cafe racer. I don't see many GS's on the road so either way i go i think it will be a head turner.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i have a 79 gs750 cafe bike. the people over at thegsresources.com know everything there is to know about the suzuki gs models. great place to get parts too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I surely miss my GS. I'll second thegsresources.com Is the shiznat for parts and info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I surely miss my GS. I'll second thegsresources.com Is the shiznat for parts and info.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i bought the bike last april and did stuff piece by piece through the summer while i was riding it. if you saw it up close it needs a lot of cleaning up. which is why its in my garage stripped to the frame right now so i can do a complete proper build. so far the ground-up build is taking a lot longer. luckily i bought another bike to ride around on.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i bought the bike last april and did stuff piece by piece through the summer while i was riding it. if you saw it up close it needs a lot of cleaning up. which is why its in my garage stripped to the frame right now so i can do a complete proper build. so far the ground-up build is taking a lot longer. luckily i bought another bike to ride around on.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I commute on a 1977 GS750 and I can't say enough nice things about it. Bike flat rocks. If you want to do a cafe bike I would suggest not worring about the bodywork so much but sort out the chassis. Out of the 1970's jap superbikes the gs750 has the better fram design but it is saddled with crappy soft shocks, spongy forks, and lackluster brakes. Doing a dual disc conversion is easy once you source the parts, and there are plenty of little tricks to improve the suspension depending on how wild you want to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
first time posting here. i have a 1978 gs550 that im giving the cafe facelift to. i think yours looks real good mate, the gas take alone is AWESOME. the seat does seem a tad long, seems like it may even be blocking the taillight...is it one of those i keep finding on ebay?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some pics of my 650 katana, i have a build thread of it somewhere on here. The tank is modified from stock but would fit your bike without any mods at all (mines about 3 inch longer than stock). GSResources is THE place for GS's. for sure :)

Got any pics of your project then? Where and what are you starting with and how deep you going into it? I've got many parts for 650's and 1000's, most are interchangeable apart from engines really (1000 fits 750 frame i hear?).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Although I've never owned a GS I too have a soft spot for them,especially the four bangers. They were some of the best machines of their era and like all the better UJMs of the time they are nearly bullet proof.

Most people know here that my heart is with the old Kawasaki KZ fours. That is because of,like me they are somewhat raw and a little rough around the edges. You DON'T necessarily "meet the nicest people on a Kawasaki" and that's always been some of the appeal for me. The Suzukis are a good mix/balance of refinement,power,smoothness and looks. In stock trim I think they rival or may even better the look of most KZ's,but don't tell anyone I said that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts