Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI EVERYONE i started a suzuki gs450 to make it caferace i almost finished but im having trouble to start it i dont know what is happening it doessent crank at all im thinking that the ground wires arent good assembeld and im sorry for my bad english please someone help me

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check for continuity across the starter solenoid coils when you press the starter button.

Continuity but not engine turning means.
Blown main starter fuse - easy check
Failed starter - check for 12v at starter + post with button pressed.
No earth from engine to battery. - check for continuity between battery neg and engine case. Should be 0 ohms.

No continuity across starter solenoid means.
Failed starter solenoid - Check for 12v on power side of the solenoid activation coil.
-failed starter button - Check for 12v in and out of the button when pressed. Possible failed ignition switch....

To be fair this is all fairly simple stuff to check. If you haven't done it already you have asked for help too soon....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Did you hook up the clutch lever switch?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
... im thinking that the ground wires aren't good...
Too easy, just connect a jumper cable between the negative terminal on your battery and a good ground point on the starter motor, now it has a good ground. If that doesn't work :/ difficult to say without knowing what you changed on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
The battery negative grounds on the engine crankcase - of which the starter motor is bolted straight to - so the ground to the starter motor should be good.

That is assuming he hasn't powder coated a bunch of stuff and compromised the continuity.

I guess its a good time to ask what the hell have you done to this thing in your efforts to "make it caferace"?

- - - Updated - - -

And to check the starter motor jump the 2 poles on the solenoid and the motor should spin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hii i found the problem it was starter solenoid wire cut ,soo i did fix it but still doesent start. it has spark ,it has fuel,i cleaned the carbs twice just to be sure, i checked the engine timing and its perfest like how its supposed to be 18 pins,it has pod filters,it just cranks but doesent start any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Hii i found the problem it was starter solenoid wire cut ,soo i did fix it but still doesent start. it has spark ,it has fuel,i cleaned the carbs twice just to be sure, i checked the engine timing and its perfest like how its supposed to be 18 pins,it has pod filters,it just cranks but doesent start any suggestions?
That would certainly do it, but you did fail to mention you cut any wires in your first post.
Can you smell fuel or do the spark plugs get a little wet after you crank it over? If no, clean the carburetors properly, 3, 4, 5, or more times until you get it right.
If it still won't work, remove the caferacer pod air filters and throw them as far as you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it has compression too and i putted on pods because its a cafe racer and i wanted to remove that big box

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Yes it has compression too and i putted on pods because its a cafe racer and i wanted to remove that big box
Haha - at least you're honest. Clueless, but honest.

Your carbs are not drawing in fuel. The stock airbox is kinda "restrictive" and therefore allows fuel to be drawn into the engine.

Take off the pods and put your hand over the carb inlets whilst cranking the engine.

Or use some starter fluid.

Then when you have the engine running you can either spend the rest of your life trying to re-jet the carbs to suit the pods or just put the airbox back on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If it's carb jetting, just quit complicating it and buy a dynojet kit
or you can fiddle with sourcing the radio shack washer pack that contains the sizes needed to shim the slide needles, & then buy Mikuni main jet pairs in 4, 5, &6 sizes up from stock, & 2 mikuni pilot jets 1 size larger than stock. Then spend many evenings learning how to do proper plug chops and jet swaps.
and if you bought generic pods, throw them in the trash now and buy a pair of K&N, APE, or Uni pods.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Starting fluid would tell u real quick if you're not getting enough fuel OUT OF the carbs.
Make sure you start with internally clean (the passages you cannot see inside of them) carbs, as stated x1,000

1 - 16 of 16 Posts