Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
i’ve got a 1993 Suzuki gs500 which I’m currently chopping about and customising. I’ve bought a universal speedo which has the tachometer built in and everything is connected via wires. My bike has two cable sensors, one from the forks to the speedo which I can replace with the magnetic speed sensor but the trachometer cable leads to the engine. I have read up on this and a lot of suggestions are wiring to the coil or spark plug but if there’s a converter cable out there where I can bolt onto engine where the sensor is then wire into the dash that would be my ideal solution. If anybody can help or recommend a company where I can buy that would be great!
Thanks ??

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
.... I have read up on this and a lot of suggestions are wiring to the coil or spark plug but if there’s a converter cable out there where I can bolt onto engine where the sensor is then wire into the dash that would be my ideal solution. If anybody can help or recommend a company where I can buy that would be great!
Thanks ??
Not sure why you think something like that would be something you buy, I would highly recommend that you consult the OEM wiring diagram or post it so we can see what you can use to power up your electronic tach, considering it sounds like your original was also an electronic tach that should not be all that difficult to do!
It's just a pulse counter :|

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking... Just wire the new tach per the instructions and you're good to go. There is no "tach sensor", it's reading sparks not revs (which is why there's likely a setting for how many pulses per rev somewhere on it)

EDIT: On second thought you're probably asking for which wire triggers the tach now?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Go to carlsalter dot com and download your bikes service manual for free, I checked the wiring diagram your bike did not have an electronic tach, but you do now. Are you sure it even works on a 2 cylinder engine? reading the literature that came with the tach is your only option.

·
Registered
773 Posts
so the bike originally has a tacho driven by a cable from the engine, but the aftermarket speedo/tacho unit you're replacing the original dash with needs an electronic signal?

i may very well be wrong, but i'm pretty sure there won't be an adapter for some random aftermarket dash. just plug your new tacho into the negative side of a coil like everyone else would.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you bought the $35 cheapo unit, the tach typically does not work. Most of the feedback I saw had people trying to figure it out. I tried, I failed, I ended up buying a Daytona Velona unit that I really like. Check my build thread in my signature to see how I dealt with it. (It’s toward the end of the thread)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts