Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, new member. I got a 1983 Suzuki Gs750 that i bought recently off a older man, I have a few questions and could use some help. He told me the engine was a strong runner and it just needed a battery and should run fine, however when i put a battery in the bike it doesnt attempt to start. The clutch lever is disconnected currently, do this bikes have a clutch switch? If i jump the starter solenoid, the bike does turn over. Also i think someone tried to wire up tail lights as theres a few lug style connectors close to the battery. Need some help please!

Also, where is the VIN and serial numbers marked too on the bike, I would like to research it so i know exactly what model I have. I bought the bike without the registration and would like to obtain it. Thanks

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Step one obtain a copy of the owner and service manuals. -> Bingo! https://www.carlsalter.com/suzuki-service-manuals.asp
Look on the frame near the steering head for the VIN stamp, the only time it is not there is if the steering head is not visible due to body work like on a BMW K bike, then it's stamped elsewhere on the frame.

"He told me the engine was a strong runner and it just needed a battery and should run fine" he lied :rolleyes: that's like 'the bike ran when I put it away', I too have some of those laying around.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Have you finished reading the service manual yet? I did :| you have a bone simple motorcycle.
You said you can get it to crank, so the problem is not the starter (which has carbon brushes inside so it will eventually need fixing.)
You have breaker points ignition, also bone simple if you are any good with servicing breaker points ignition. Check for spark, if you have no spark on 2 cylinders start there.
... zero safety switches showing in the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the bike will crank if I short the solenoid as in shorting the + 12v across the terminals with a screwdriver. However If i push the start button as of now nothing happens. The bike is in neutral, Although i think the ignition switch is getting bad on it because sometimes ill turn the key and get no dash lights. Ill take a few pictures of it and the extra cables around the battery that i have no idea what theyre for. I basically got the bike for close to free which is why I don't mind tinkering with it, if it needs major work i'll sell it for parts but hopefully I can figure out the wiring so it runs! Havent had time to tinker with it yet had to fix my truck

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
every suzuki I have ever owned has had a neutral safety clutch switch wired to the left lever control. get a manual, look at the wiring diagram, trace the neutral safety switch. Often times people unplug it without realizing that the circuit needs to be closed and a jumper or loop needs to be made and plugged into the harness.

#7 in the diagram

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
What Geeto said and those Suzuki slide style switches are notoriously dodgy.

Also check if you have a sidestand switch (not sure what year they started putting them on).

·
Registered
641 Posts
An 1980's motorcycle is almost 40 yrs. old! most or some of the connecters could be corroded if it's not the ign. switsh or neutrial safty switch. Also the contactors in the starter switch itself could be corroded and not working. I've run into issues like this alot on these older bikes. Could be a fuse or fuse holder ? on the starter solinoid? or the solinoid itself too. If you get a test light and follow the wiring diagram from the battery positive post through every point on the diagram you should find the brake in the circuit? good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts