Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No splatter, so you've got that going for you!
I suppose splatter could be caused by not enough argon, or perhaps contaminates. I'm getting plenty of practice sharpening the tungsten electrode, today it split about 4mm, I wonder what would cause that?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Congratulations on the opportunity to learn a new skill!
Yes, I'm enjoying the challenge. Yesterday I jumped in the deep end, it was only the underside of the rear mudguard, what damage could I do? Today I jumped in the kiddies pool and practiced running a puddle on a bit of scrap, I usually do things back to front. Emboldened by this, I started on the tank, just tacking it together. I haven't blown any holes yet, but I'm not convinced I can do a good enough job, we will see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am making progress but sometimes it doesn't feel like it. I will review the 'How to TIG weld' by Mr Tig and others on YouTube now that I've got a little experience.
P_20161221_183252.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Santa comes early. Tell me about it says my wife. Hard but fair. My big brother has produced the goods in his workshop. The disc mounting holes have been re-drilled to the correct pattern radius and diameters and a inner ring has been fitted to centre it on the hub, not that it's needed, I think the mounting bolts are sufficient. The top triple tree has been machined to allow the forks to come through about 40mm to reduce the rake and trail a bit and to mount the the clip ons.
P_20161223_115116.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Happy new year everyone, may it be a good one. I did myself a favour for xmas and gave learning how to TIG weld a bit of a break, but I will be back into it soon.
I've started to put the front end together and I think I've a problem. I've had the top triple tree machined out to allow the forks to come through to reduce the rake a bit and to mount the clip ons a bit higher. A win win outcome, or so I thought. But I didn't think it all the way at the beginning. The stock setup has the fork coming half way through the triple tree and a cap is screwed into the fork from the top to secure it. With the new setup, I've lost that lock between the forks and the triple tree. Sure, it's locked in place by the clip ons on top and the cap still screws into the top of the fork and the indicator holder acts as a collar underneath, but I think I've lost torsional rigidity, Is my thinking correct or am I worrying sheep?
P_20170101_110633.jpg

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Do the forks slop around in the top triple or are they a snug fit? If they are snug you should be OK. But you could also cut a slot between the riser holes and the fork clamps to make a pinch bolt setup.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Do the forks slop around in the top triple or are they a snug fit? If they are snug you should be OK. But you could also cut a slot between the riser holes and the fork clamps to make a pinch bolt setup.
Hi hillsy and thanks for your advice. They are a snug fit, I have to use a rubber hammer to jar them out. That's a good idea about a pinch bolt, I will give it some thought.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm chewing Brad.
After waiting nearly a month for the welding mask to arrive and losing my faith in humanity, I bought another mask on eBay. I would have bought it earlier if I had checked how cheap it was, only $18.50 including postage. Of course the other mask arrived the very next day, oh ye of little faith. But it wont be wasted, as I am a Tasmanian.
My workbench has migrated from the woodheap to inside the shed, and has morphed from a plank into the neighbour's discarded kitchen bench.
View attachment 44538
Just to prove I've got no shame here is a photo of my 1st attempt at TIG welding. Needless to say I've got a long way to go before starting on the tank.
View attachment 44546
Cheers,
Mark

Not bad at all for your first attempt. Be sure and peel back any paint or rust and that will help out a lot. What kind of tungsten are you using? I've never had one split.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
What kind of tungsten are you using? I've never had one split.
Hi DND, I don't know, it says on the back of the pack that they are thorium free. The next pack I buy I will try the DC only ones, just to experiment.
P_20170102_080937.jpg
PS. I think I've figured out why the electrode split. I had sharpened both ends, thinking I could spin it around when I'd gunked up one end. But that is wrong because a gunked end will not fit anyway. There might have been a bit of gunk on it after sharpening and this stressed the electrode when tightened in the hand piece. All part of the learning curve.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Increasing the diameter of the exhaust pipes may lesson the back pressure and torque of the motor.
Hi Marc, I've been googling a bit on the exhaust design. I know what I want, a 2 into 1 system, just because I like the look and it will suit the bike, something like what's on the Guzzi Griso.
The best article I've found sofar is https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm. It focuses on Harleys, but the principles still apply to the Intruder.
My thinking is evolving, at the moment it's this. I have 2 bikes so I can experiment. The 1st set will use the existing header lengths of 74cm (front) and 88cm (rear) and 1 3/4" diameter into a 2 1/2" diameter collector leading into a single muffler of the same diameter. The 2nd set might have equal length headers, I would like to understand the reasoning behind differing lengths. The 2nd set will use 2 mufflers, 1 each side, but will still use the 2 into 1 crossover header design, something like this.
Screenshot_2016-10-12-08-45-41.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I'm back into tig tacking the tank extension, nearly finished. Couldn't help myself from checking how the whole thing is going to look. The tank could be deeper I suppose, but it ain't going to happen.
Touring seat.
P_20170103_151145.jpg

Isle Of Man seat.
P_20170108_071022.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just to give myself a break from the tank I had a look at the airboxes. I want to keep them but I think it is pretty well accepted that breathing has to be improved when free flowing exhausts are installed on the Intruder, that's the belief over on the intruders-alert forum anyway. To my way of thinking, the airboxes play a critical part plus I like the 90 degree rubber boots connecting the airboxes to the carbs. It's going to give a smoother flow than pods connected straight on the carbs, and if it's good enough for the Suzuki design engineers then who am I to argue.
I have decided to try the K&N cotton filters made specifically for the Intruder. I asked for advice in the Technical forum and the main thing was to keep them dry, so this was the determining factor in deciding how to let more air in. I left the existing inlet in the front airbox as is, and made another inlet at the other end. This is high up under the tank and hopefully dry. Initially I was thinking of discarding the covers that fit around the steering head, but now realise they keep the existing inlet dry, so now they stay.
P_20170110_122031.jpg
For the rear airbox, I put another inlet in the cover towards the front. I cut the existing rubber venturi inlet in half and glued it in, thinking it's better to breath through 2 short straws than 1 long one. I intend to keep the side covers but will have to pack the top out about half an inch to let air in.
P_20170110_121015.jpg
On a disappointing note, the only sign of the old air filters was a lot of gritty greasy foam in the bottom of the airboxes. But there is no complaining, you get what you buy with second hand motorbikes. It's like when you sit down for a meal, don't bloody complain about the food if you're not the cook. Well, that's what I tell my family when I'm coerced into the kitchen.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
The way the carbs are set up on the 1400 doesn't lend itself to a decent airbox design. By contrast, the 1500 has the rear cylinders' exhaust going out the back of the head so both carbs sit side by side between the cylinders. This allows for a larger airbox under the false tank.

In other words, retaining the airbox(es) you have may not be of much benefit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
The way the carbs are set up on the 1400 doesn't lend itself to a decent airbox design. By contrast, the 1500 has the rear cylinders' exhaust going out the back of the head so both carbs sit side by side between the cylinders. This allows for a larger airbox under the false tank.

In other words, retaining the airbox(es) you have may not be of much benefit.
Yes, I will see how it goes when it comes to tuning, time will tell. They might have to go, but I like to take the little steps before the big ones. As the 1st step, I've made the inlets at least as big as the outlets.
I wonder if the K&N cotton filters are any less restrictive than the original foam. I might wait and see before modifying the other bike. I've just ordered new foam filters on eBay for $20, it's a pity the previous owner didn't know how cheap they are.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm not making the progress I would have liked with this TIG welding, it was always going to be a challenge, a priest and nun type of thing. This is my progress so far with the tank extension.
I cut out the bottom of the tank to allow it to be lowered and levelled. I buggered this up a bit around the front because I didn't quite nut it out properly. I then cut the tank in half, just behind the filler, about the deepest section. I bent a 135mm strip of 1.6mm steel as best I could to the shape of the tank. I used 1.6mm because I have no faith in my tigging and it's just as well I did, Swiss cheese comes to mind. I then tacked it into the rear section.
P_20161221_115657.jpg
With a bit of tweaking I tacked on the front.
P_20161221_183252.jpg
Then I used the angle grinder to grind away the front of the tank where it meets the bottom, lowering it about 40mm.
Yesterday I started on the bottom. In another piece of 1.6mm steel I put in a new fuel outlet, the existing outlet is too high now that the tank is more level. I had a bugger of a go trying to weld in the nuts that will secure the outlet, the arc was coming out at about 45 degrees and I got sick to death cleaning the electrode, I gave up and called it quits for the day. But I was back into it again today. I cleaned all the splatter away from the electrode nozzle, much better.
P_20170115_131612.jpg
I found some of my old LP's in a cupboard, I haven't played them for years, some covered in possum piss. I washed them with the garden hose, and let 'm rip. Eric Burdon singing 'When I was young it was more important ...' and Neil Diamond singing 'Shilo, when I was young, you used to call my name...' took me back 40 years.
Anyway, I've decided I'm not up to scratch with this TIG welding, no way can I do a good enough job. So my son has a mate who is a professional welder, he's coming around next Sunday to see what can be done. Thank God for that.
P_20170115_165317.jpg
Tomorrow I will start on the exhaust. I will make a ply template, the plan is equal length cross over headers, Guzzi Griso style, 90cm x 1 3/4" stainless. It should be fun.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts