Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
You definately CAN do what you want with the Sachs bike, maybe without much trouble. Sort of makes me wish I had not sold my VX800--- that's about as close as we could likely get in the States. I've always wanted to do a cafe or at least a standard based on the Intruder 1400, but there is 'way too much stretch in the neck to do either, and Suzuki didn't offer the Intruders any other way. The VX800 routes coolant through the frame. I believe the Intruder does, too. If the Sachs does, too, it might be something to be aware of while doing any modifications.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Here's a pic taken before it was stripped down. 5396d1392125491-suzuki-intruder-dsc_0016.jpg
I have to be honest - what's going on there is way more interesting than a TT1 replica. Everybody does that with a pantah, but you rarely see sporting upright hooligan bikes/street trackers with those old rubber band motors. Put a set of aluminum cross brace renthal bars, and a numberplate instead of a headlight on the front and you are 90% of the way there.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Thanks for the pics (is that you in the 3rd one)
This was my first thought
Now that's the dude from Storz, I stole the pic from his website.

this is me

Kerry_Re_Tires.jpg

and yes you guys can take your shots about the davida.

BTW, that pic was taken in winter of 2006 when it was 30 degrees outside. If you have been following my best gear thread, those are the now almost 30 year old gloves.

I'm the dipshit in shorts talking to Roper in this photo:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You definately CAN do what you want with the Sachs bike, maybe without much trouble. Sort of makes me wish I had not sold my VX800--- that's about as close as we could likely get in the States. I've always wanted to do a cafe or at least a standard based on the Intruder 1400, but there is 'way too much stretch in the neck to do either, and Suzuki didn't offer the Intruders any other way. The VX800 routes coolant through the frame. I believe the Intruder does, too. If the Sachs does, too, it might be something to be aware of while doing any modifications.
Cheers Jim
The Sachs doesn't have coolant running through the frame

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is that one of them new airbag jackets?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have to be honest - what's going on there is way more interesting than a TT1 replica. Everybody does that with a pantah, but you rarely see sporting upright hooligan bikes/street trackers with those old rubber band motors. Put a set of aluminum cross brace renthal bars, and a numberplate instead of a headlight on the front and you are 90% of the way there.
That's exactly what the current owner had in mind

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
That's exactly what the current owner had in mind
well I don't think he's wrong. It is certainly a more "useful" motorcycle in that you aren't in a full racer tuck all the time. With your level of finish I think you'd have something that would draw a crowd, not just stand out in one.

Small front fender, fork brace, dual disc up front, Stack Tachometer, bar end turnb signals like an old beemer...I mean I could do this all day.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
well I don't think he's wrong. It is certainly a more "useful" motorcycle in that you aren't in a full racer tuck all the time. With your level of finish I think you'd have something that would draw a crowd, not just stand out in one.

Small front fender, fork brace, dual disc up front, Stack Tachometer, bar end turnb signals like an old beemer...I mean I could do this all day.
It's been quite a pleasant afternoon. I don't often get the chance to yak all day on the computer. I've given myself a couple days off from tooth paste tube making and the shed, and it's made a nice change.
You have certainly given me some food for thought.

The endurance racer looks the mutts nutts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood...it was more an inditement on what seems to happen here a lot....

Q is this a good idea?
A no it's not for these reasons..

Response: oh well I already started doing it so fuck you haters.

thats why I said something. Sounds like there was a miscommunication in this case.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Maybe I misunderstood...it was more an inditement on what seems to happen here a lot....

Q is this a good idea?
A no it's not for these reasons..

Response: oh well I already started doing it so fuck you haters.

thats why I said something. Sounds like there was a miscommunication in this case.
My fault as I said I didn't word the thread very well. My only excuse is that I'm still a novice when it comes to writing on this forum

Steve

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
My only excuse is that I'm still a novice when it comes to writing on this forum

Steve
this Forum? It's easy. Be brutally honest and as big a dick as you can. We'll accept you as one of our own, and all will be right with the world. Oh and you have to sacrifice a chicken, a live one.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
of course if you are going TT1 you need to go full endurance racer on it:

I apologize for the thread jack but geeto maybe you would know where I could find a full fairing like this for my xs11. I want the endurance feel when I am done but haven't found a fairing that fits the excess. Air tech has one but I hate it.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
I believe that is actually a stock Ducati 750F1 fairing or at least a fiberglass replica of the stock fairing. The 750F1 was the pantah based road going replica of the TT1 that ducati built because people were pissed off that the pantah didn't look anything like the race bikes.

I don't think that fairing will fit your excess11 because....well... it is too narrow. However, I think the fairing the 900SS from the 90's used is a similar shape and might be wide enough...there was a guy on here who mounted one to a GT750 and that is no narrow bike.

other than that, I think a stock 1986/87 ninja 1000R fairing is pretty close as well, but I don't know if there were fiberglass repops made.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Back to the original Sachs question. I don't think there is any way to make that bike resemble the Norvin. In my mind the essence of the Norvin is the look of the Vincent engine with all of it's bits. The Suzuki engine does not have that shape or the bolt on pieces. It also has the exhaust coming out in the wrong places and the shaft drive is a killer to the Norvin. On the other hand, since you already have an aluminium Manx tank that you want to use, go with what the bike is and highlight the tank an updated seat style to more match the forks and engine. Maybe look at more of a Britten style and highlight the pipes and blend an alloy fairing into the tank and the seat into the tank, too. Since you will have to deal with the shaft drive, why not a single side swing arm and monoshock. I think the whole point would be to make it look like what a Norvin could have evolved into.

As far as the Pantah goes, I like what the original owner had started. The original Pantah styling was the worst thing Ducati ever produced except the Indiana.

21 - 40 of 122 Posts