Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
this Forum? It's easy. Be brutally honest and as big a dick as you can. We'll accept you as one of our own, and all will be right with the world. Oh and you have to sacrifice a chicken, a live one.
I've been looking for hours and still can't find a live chicken. Just cooked a turkey curry will this count?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Back to the original Sachs question. I don't think there is any way to make that bike resemble the Norvin. In my mind the essence of the Norvin is the look of the Vincent engine with all of it's bits. The Suzuki engine does not have that shape or the bolt on pieces. It also has the exhaust coming out in the wrong places and the shaft drive is a killer to the Norvin. On the other hand, since you already have an aluminium Manx tank that you want to use, go with what the bike is and highlight the tank an updated seat style to more match the forks and engine. Maybe look at more of a Britten style and highlight the pipes and blend an alloy fairing into the tank and the seat into the tank, too. Since you will have to deal with the shaft drive, why not a single side swing arm and monoshock. I think the whole point would be to make it look like what a Norvin could have evolved into.

As far as the Pantah goes, I like what the original owner had started. The original Pantah styling was the worst thing Ducati ever produced except the Indiana.
Cheers Ken It 's weird how peoples tastes vary. Ever since parking my 250 Superdream next to a Pantah in 1980 the Ducati has been my favourite bike

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I apologize for the thread jack but geeto maybe you would know where I could find a full fairing like this for my xs11. I want the endurance feel when I am done but haven't found a fairing that fits the excess. Air tech has one but I hate it.
Joep7

There are 2 companies in the UK that might have what you want. They sell a Honda CR750 Replica fairing which might fit.
It may be worth while checking out the websites

meadspeed.com

tga.co.uk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Is that exhaust wrap on the handlebars of that Duc?

Gotta say that's the first time I've seen that.
I think you are right, certainly looks like exhaust wrap. Don't ask me why though.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
100_2629.JPG 100_2628.JPG 100_2626.JPG 100_2625.JPG Took a ride out to see the fabricators today, to check on the progress of the tank. Should get the bike back next week. On my next days off I should get the LeMans mk1 fairing fitted, Norton straights on, seat fittings on,
sort the rear mudguard/light, mess about with the angle of the exhausts. Once this is all done I can start stripping the bike to get the frame and a few other parts powder coated.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I thought I'd give a quick update on the Sachs. Finished the seat mounts, and remounted the coolant reservoir. The frame should be with the powder coaters tomorrow, so hopefully I'll start assembling next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Marauder would have been a much better starting point than an Intruder.
It's chain drive and has a completely different frame, you can actually work on the carbs and battery
I would build flat tracker if I found one cheap enough
Oh, steevo, re-size your pictures, I have no idea what I'm looking at

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Thanks Steevo, much easier to see whats going on. One positive thing about Intruder, you don't need to relocate battery under seat hump, it's already mounted under swing arm :cool:

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
I don't know....I feel like there is something that can be done with that. Ugly chic. I like the wheels, I like the engine, just the whole package is kinda thrown together. I feel like the next crusier trend lies somewhere in the heart of the indiana but I just can't see it yet....maybe I need to Mola Ram that sucker by buying one.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I don't know....I feel like there is something that can be done with that. Ugly chic. I like the wheels, I like the engine, just the whole package is kinda thrown together. I feel like the next crusier trend lies somewhere in the heart of the indiana but I just can't see it yet....maybe I need to Mola Ram that sucker by buying one.
I feel the same way about the Moto Morini New York. Bad, but something good itching to get out.

8158483275_00ef216fea.jpg

The Exclalibur, on the other hand, is ugly to the core. I'd take the awesome motor out and crush the rest.

001.jpg

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
I like the excalibur wheels. They look like old PM chicanes.

As one of my guilty pleasure admissions, In the mid 90's I used to have a secret crush on the suzuki intruder. Not just any intruder but the high tank one esp a 1400cc one in teal or black and red. Yeah I had no taste, I know. You just didn't see that many around and they had the 70's chopper molded frame look that made them look oh so custom. To a broke college kid a custom bike like that was awesome. And it was kind of ugly in an awesome 80's way too since they pretty much remained unchanged from 1985-2005.

The belle of the ball however since we are on power crusers was the magna, esp a black one with yellow scallops. That or a Honda ACE 1100 Touring in teal and white with 50's toaster accents. I spent a lot of time staring in Cycle Stop's window back then.

The magna, btw is the last four cylinder bike I can remember as having true 4 in and 4 out exhausts. All the way to 2003.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I bought an S50 about 5 years ago. In black, with the low bars and without the sissy bar thingie, I still think it was an attractive bike. Unfortunately, the horrible rear suspension and lousy ergonomics ruined it for me.

0403001143_cropped.jpg

Back when it came out, I thought the '86 Shadow was the bee's knees.

86HondaVT700C.jpg

The only one I'm really ashamed of was liking the GS550L Full Floater. It's hard to admit that I found this attractive.

1983_GS550L_Craig_500.jpg

41 - 60 of 122 Posts