Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah they did something to the intruders post 2000 that killed the ride quality. I had a buddy with a then new '96 800 and I rode it once - it was like an easy chair going down the street. He also had full foward pegs.

I spotted this one on CL in dayton and other than the gayer than a purple dildo chrome flame decals it is just about perfect:
96 Suzuki intruder 1400
00T0T_lMa81nanK6P_600x450.jpg

I had a moment where I thought hard about going out and picking it up. But the moment passed. He wants way too much money and I want a house.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I don't know if anyone was aware, but, the original 700cc Intruder was designed in USA specifically for the US market.
The story goes that design parameter set by marketing in Japan was for a narrow angle V-twin which is why it has so many weird features (if you've ever done carb sync you'll know a major issue)
Supposedly, a 'clay' mock up was sent to Japan and the engineers were told to build it as delivered
It emulates a custom Harley Davidson which is why there are no visible cam chain adjusters and it looks air cooled even though it's water cooled (the 1400 is SACS, as used on GSXR.GSXF, etc)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You are right about the carbs. It seemed to take ages to get the bloody things off. I'm certainly not looking forward to fitting and balancing them.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It emulates a custom Harley Davidson...
But the thing is, it really didn't that much. First and foremost, the two cylinders' exhausts exited on opposite sides of the bike. Suzuki eventually redesigned the heads for the Maruader/M50 and Volusa/C50 to get that Harley staggered dual look on the right side. It also didn't have an air cleaner hanging between the cylinders. If you look at the photo of my S50 above, they did eventually hang a fake airbox (excuse me, "tool holder") there. Furthermore, it had those widely splayed frame tubes that were visible under the fuel tank, and those wide frame covers in the front. The whole thing looked more like a filled and molded gooseneck chopper frame than anything that ever came stock out of Milwaukee.

1985_VS750_Intruder_450.jpg

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The whole thing looked more like a filled and molded gooseneck chopper frame than anything that ever came stock out of Milwaukee.
You and PJ are saying the same thing. When that bick first came out the majority of the customs were HD based because there wasn't a kit/custom bike registration scheme or aftermarket engines. You just stamped your frame number into the custom frame and the registration didn't even change.

Either way it does look like what would have been on the cover of street chopper in the 1970's and that would have likely been an HD:
7009schop.jpg

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
You and PJ are saying the same thing. When that bick first came out the majority of the customs were HD based because there wasn't a kit/custom bike registration scheme or aftermarket engines. You just stamped your frame number into the custom frame and the registration didn't even change.

Either way it does look like what would have been on the cover of street chopper in the 1970's and that would have likely been an HD:
View attachment 5973
"Giant Sportster Issue" and they put a big twin on the cover.:)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have to give it to the japanese they really know how to take what we do here and make it better. The Intruder basically went 20 years without so much as a styling update and never really looked "dated". Their interpretation of the molding look, the frisco mount tank, how it all worked together even now the bike is still kinda good looking for a cruser and way different from what else is out there in the market now.

meanwhile, all those 70's choppers look awesome, but very dated and for a while were very unpopular. Even now a lot of this stuff is cool because it is so kitsch and you just don't see kitsch anymore - everything is appliance colors and boring.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
meanwhile, all those 70's choppers look awesome, but very dated and for a while were very unpopular. Even now a lot of this stuff is cool because it is so kitsch and you just don't see kitsch anymore - everything is appliance colors and boring.
I've always liked '70s diggers. Not that I ever want to ride one, because they must be awful, but they remind me of being a kid. When they were popular, I was too young to ride and looking at bikes was all I could do.

digger1.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
I always liked the Intruders. But, to me, they looked like somebody tried to draw a Harley chopper from memory and couldn't remember all the details. Not that that was a bad thing--- it gave them the cleanest look of all the Japanese cruisers. I rode a VX800 for years, which was more of a standard than a cruiser. It was a good open road bike, but the handling was a little slow. Dead-on reliable, would top out at near 130mph. Just different enough to make parts hard to find. Also, I really liked the 1400, which, oddly, seemed small compared to the VX, except for the front end. I ended up replacing the VX with an 1100 Shadow, which convinced me to stay off cruisers! If only Suzuki had made a short-nosed version of the 1400...

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I was working in a Suzuki dealers when the 700 was first launched
In Britain Suzuki had 3 different sissy bars and I think 4 or 5 different handlebar/riser combinations but they were only available n specific colour combination bikes - except for 'ours' :D
We kept a couple of sets of risers, bars and sissy bars so we could customise the custom, but after the first couple were just swapped parts around during builds :cool:
Even swapped front wheels on one or two bikes as they had a 21" and 19" with different width tyres
Later models had way less options, two sissy bars were discontinued and only 2 handlebar styles

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
If we are talking courier bikes, I owned quite a few between 1986-2002. R65, R80RT, R100RT, R100RS, and 4 K100's..etc
By far the best was a Honda NTV600 Revere. (I think the US model was the Bros). I had the NTV for 4 years and was very reliable, it only let me down once due to a broken wire on the ignition switch.
It clocked up 312,000 miles. I was sorry when I finally had to let it go

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Picked up the frame and some other parts from the powder coaters this afternoon. They have done a good job and at £110, cheap as chips.
Unfortunately I'm back on shift tomorrow so I won't be able to start assembling until next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Very nice. It would cost you more than that if you were to go and buy primer and 2k paint to spray it yourself. Looking forward to seeing it being built up Steveo!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
You're absolutely right Mark, not to mention the amount of work involved to get the parts ready for paint

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Spent another day in the shed. Most of the wiring is on and appears to be working. If I can get some radiator hose it would be nice to get the bike running Saturday.
I plan to spend tomorrow making some headlight/fairing brackets, and some rear mudguard mounts

61 - 80 of 124 Posts