Cafe Racer Forum banner

Suzuki Intruder

94K views 123 replies 23 participants last post by  steveo 
#1 ·
What do you all think my chances are of making a VS800 Intruder resemble this?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
There would be very little on the original machine that you could actually use without some very serious modifications...it would pretty much have to be a frame-up build. Unless you are some sort of mechanical wizard, I would chalk this one up as a daydream. Your profile doesn't say much about you, so I don't know what sort of skill sets you have, but if you are indeed capable of such a feat, I would love to see what you could come up with.

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry all, I should have been more accurate with the doner bikes description. It is in fact a Sachs 800 Roadster, which does have the Suzuki engine, but the similarity ends there.
I don't know if this model was ever sold in Oz or the US. There's not many around in the UK.
The frame will need minimal mods just de-lugging and some brackets welded on for the seat.
As you can see in the pic the bike already has wire wheels, usd forks and Grimeca front brakes.
This build is a bit of a gamble. All the doner bikes that I have used up to know have needed a total restoration as well as any modifications. This time I'll be altering a perfectly good (not so good looking) one.
If anyone's interested I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Attachments

#8 ·
Instead of making it look like a norvin, why not get really crazy and restyle it with an original design? Something that speaks more to the roadster name. Get a little crazy like a one piece Tracy style body in polished alloy, or something more flat tracker looking. Challenge yourself.

In stock trim and painted black it isn't that ugly of a stock bike. It just isn't old looking.

Only a a norvin is awesome. Anything that tries to be but isn't is just a disappointment.

#9 ·
OK, that's definitely a better place to start! Yes please...post some pics.

#11 ·
I can see where you are coming from Geeto, but I'm already committed to doing the Norvin based build now, as I have had an alloy 5 gallon Manx tank made.
I have a Ducati Pantah project coming up later this year which may be of more interest to you. It's currently a box of bits..
The bike will need rebuilding to start with. I have been told that it runs, but there will be plenty of work to do on the carbs and the belts will need changing. I am sure there will be more engine work to do.
My first thought was to build something along the lines of a TT2 (full race fairing, seat unit, and Mike Hailwood style tank.
But I'm open to your suggestions.
I've already agreed to buy the bike, I'm just hoping the seller will wait for a few months while I finish off the Sachs.
Here's a pic taken before it was stripped down.

Attachments

#22 ·
Here's a pic taken before it was stripped down. Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive tire
I have to be honest - what's going on there is way more interesting than a TT1 replica. Everybody does that with a pantah, but you rarely see sporting upright hooligan bikes/street trackers with those old rubber band motors. Put a set of aluminum cross brace renthal bars, and a numberplate instead of a headlight on the front and you are 90% of the way there.

#14 ·
I may not have worded the thread very well, but the intention was to share with you my plans for this particular build.
On the other hand I posted a pic of the Ducati to ask for any of your ideas for this project before I started it.
I guess I had better apologise if this has upset you in any way.

#17 ·
I don't think it upset anybody.

I would like to get excited about this. Most of your stuff is very well thought out built, but another "manx" parts bolted to X chassis is hard to get excited about. Based on what I have read it's a good unique platform for a custom, but the other bikes you posted, the yamahas, they are pretty much the same thing - manx style parts on a more modern platform. I mean, I get that is what you like but it doesn't feel formulaic to you? I dunno, maybe you'll surprise me and it will be awesome, but if there was ever an opportunity to branch out, this seems like as good as any. Believe it our not but I actually care about your progress and development as a builder - the world needs more bikes like the kind you do and less of the hipster, let's throw some bars on it and some clear over the patina and call it a racer. Just saying it would be nice.....

that being said, give it your best go. No matter what happens it probably will still be good.

#18 ·
Thanks Geeto that means a lot .
Your right I do really like the look of Manx Nortons /Tritons and I've built 6 up to now. It's getting a bit samey though. I think I've taken this as far as I can.
Thats why I've asked for some thoughts on the Ducati

Steve

#23 · (Edited)
Now that's the dude from Storz, I stole the pic from his website.

this is me

Motorcycle Automotive lighting Headlamp Vehicle Motorcycle accessories

and yes you guys can take your shots about the davida.

BTW, that pic was taken in winter of 2006 when it was 30 degrees outside. If you have been following my best gear thread, those are the now almost 30 year old gloves.

I'm the dipshit in shorts talking to Roper in this photo:

#21 ·
You definately CAN do what you want with the Sachs bike, maybe without much trouble. Sort of makes me wish I had not sold my VX800--- that's about as close as we could likely get in the States. I've always wanted to do a cafe or at least a standard based on the Intruder 1400, but there is 'way too much stretch in the neck to do either, and Suzuki didn't offer the Intruders any other way. The VX800 routes coolant through the frame. I believe the Intruder does, too. If the Sachs does, too, it might be something to be aware of while doing any modifications.

#34 ·
Maybe I misunderstood...it was more an inditement on what seems to happen here a lot....

Q is this a good idea?
A no it's not for these reasons..

Response: oh well I already started doing it so fuck you haters.

thats why I said something. Sounds like there was a miscommunication in this case.

#35 ·
My fault as I said I didn't word the thread very well. My only excuse is that I'm still a novice when it comes to writing on this forum

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.