Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run synthetic in all my cars. Does anyone have any experience using synthetic in these bikes?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Define "these bikes"

I run belray synthetic in my cb750 SOHC. Runs good. I do it because I ride in NYC and often find myself stuck in traffic a lot which causes overheating. If I lived in the country I would probably run dino oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 76 CB500T. But i would be interested in what others are using in their non T cycles as well. Thanks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
no problems with clutch slippage geeto?

fat people are harder to kidnap
I run stock fibers and steels with barnett springs. No problem with slippage at all. Actually even stock I didn't have a problem with slippage as long as the clutch cable was adjusted properly (ok so very little slippage made the cable a little harder to adjust).

·
Registered
453 Posts
cool. i had always thought that synthetics with wet clutches didnt play together well. i've wlays ran mobil 1 in my saturn, since new in fact. 434,892 miles as of this afternoon.

Edited by - fuzzybutt on Aug 10 2007 9:19:30 PM

·
Registered
278 Posts
Once broken in I've always run synthetic on my 450/500T hybrid. I've never had issues. My CB200 didn't much care for it though.

A

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
cool. i had always thought that synthetics with wet clutches didnt play together well. i've wlays ran mobil 1 in my saturn, since new in fact. 434,892 miles as of this afternoon.

Edited by - fuzzybutt on Aug 10 2007 9:19:30 PM
of course you haver to keep in mind the motor I have is internally stock with a few outside tweaks to bump up the hp. No big bore kits or anything. I imagine with a really hot motor and synthetic you would have to run the full barnet setup which sucks since barnett plates swell more than stock plates and can cause dragging issues when warm.

There is one guy on the SOHC board (ilbikes) who runs 836, stock plates, and barnett springs and doesn't have issues but I don't know if he runs synthetic.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I run synthetic in my race bikes. Clutch hook up is actually a bit harder on this particular bike. I have to do a couple of practice starts before a race to warm the clutch up or it will grab pretty harshly.
Important thing about synthetics with wet clutch is not to use the "Improved Mileage" synthetics...they have friction modifiers that will accumulate on a wet clutch. Standard synthetics are fine.
JohnnyB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts