Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

right out of the barn and looks like another one, just found last week in yet another barn, will be coming to live here too

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm for the last several years it's kinda gone like this......

guy or gal walks in and starts telling stories

then I start in with insidious hypnotic mind control techniques

next thing I know

a truck loaded with mud and manure covered iron goodies rolls in and I try hard to get paid to suffer this stuff, so far that part of it hasn't seemed to work out for me

bike is a bit on the flabby side for sure but this is one I sold to a good friend about 8 years ago and he wanted me to have it back because he has too many toys in his barn distracting him and likes seeing me suffering more than him

the twin to it another guy told me about when he walked in and saw this one, he just happened to see it a couple weeks ago and didn't think anything about it

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh and I went in one a few months ago that had six KZ1300's in it, couple XL250's, and some other race/dirt bikes I forgot what they were

they were just sitting there dying a slow death

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've never ridden a turbo bike, is it scary?

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by TonyDanger

I've never ridden a turbo bike, is it scary?
With a name like TonyDanger, why should that matter? Or are you double checking that it's scary before you ride one?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
not really. The easiest to ride of the 80's turbo bikes are the cx650 turbos. they are Fuel injected and despite having usual 1980s turbo lag (like in a saab turbo or porsche turbo).

The hardest to ride of the turbo bikes is the kawasaki GPZ750 turbo. It made between 95 and 100hp but it went from making nothing to all at once in less than 500rpm. Once that turbo spooled it hit you like you were a deer in headlights with all its fury.

I don't know much about the seca turbos. For some reason yamaha kept to a carbed turbo setup where as honda, kawasaki, and suzuki allran fuel injection.

suzuki's xn85D is probably the rarest turbo 1980s factory UJM with only 1153 made from 1983-1986. Clean examples sell anywhere from $3000-$7000. It was overshadowed by suzuki's GS1100 and GS750, whcih ironically today are nearly worthless (on maybe not worthless but $1500 tops). It was also a pure sport bike where as the honda and the seca are more sport tourers. It ties the kawasaki for sheer fast but is much easier to ride.

1980's factory turbo bikes are pretty rare today because of the disposable nature of 1980s japanese motorcycles in general combined with the fact that turbo technology wasn there like it is today and these bikes were fineky and maintenance prone. Some are rare because they didn't sell a lot (XN85D), some are rare because they were wrecked often (GPZ750), some are rare because of poor maintenance designs (cx500 turbo and cx650 turbo), and some were so common as to be considered worthless and throw aways in the 1980s and 1990s (xj650 Seca). The point is they are out there and are now becoming collectible so snatch them up while you can.

·
Registered
216 Posts
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga
With a name like TonyDanger, why should that matter? Or are you double checking that it's scary before you ride one?
:D I like being on the verge of out-of-control

I should ride a few and see if I like them. I think I'm just going to start storing bikes at my dad's shop. No time like now to start building a fleet.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by TonyDanger
:D I like being on the verge of out-of-control

I should ride a few and see if I like them. I think I'm just going to start storing bikes at my dad's shop. No time like now to start building a fleet.
If you like the verge of out of control go buy a kawasaki triple. Same maintenance, same rush of blinding acceleration, just as loud, but a hell of a lot lighter and much cooler looking.

The hard part about riding a turbo anything is finding one. These were halo bikes back in the day and therefore just as expensive if not more than the most expensive sportbike in each company's stable. The GPZ turbo my father almost bought cost just as much as the GPZ-zx1000R he bought instead (and the ninja has 120hp and smoother acceleration). There are very few left today of just about any of them - good luck finding one to test ride.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by parks61

g-man
is there a bike you haven't ridden?
-parks
It is one of the advantages of being an absolute bike slut - I get to ride all sorts of cool shit. Seriously, if someone offers me a chance to ride his/her bike I jump at it like it was made out of bacon.

Seriously though, I try to ride as many bikes as I possibly can for no other reason than the expirence of riding that bike. IT was helpful growing up in the 80's-90's when all of what is now "vintage" was just junky old motorbikes and having lots of gearhead friends into bikes only added to that. Also semi-working and hanging out in a vintage shop with a motorcycle only junkyard nearby didn't hurt either.

My brit bike expirence is somewhat limiting however since brit bikes were still way more expensive than jap bikes in the early 1990s. I have ridden 3 nortons, 3 triumphs, and 2 BSAs and that is it.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spirited and fun but nothing like a late liter GSXR

turbo doesn't hit with enough anger to terrify, but, when it spools up you know it's there

overweight and under chassis'd

the pressurized carbs, which are off it it right now, are interesting and a handful compared to a regular inline rack

I have to agree that Geeto has summed it up very well

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

the pressurized carbs, which are off it it right now, are interesting and a handful compared to a regular inline rack
i'm really interested in those carbs. pics please!!! what do you know about 'em?

...off to surf.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they are 30mm cv's and totally sealed were normal CV's have no seals

I have six racks of them and they work very well for certain hybrid applications

the kaw triples........ I've owned a 60 Mach III and a 72 H2 and just about all the others around and about those except for a 250 S1

the 69 is the only one that I consider scary

goes from 18 horses to 60 at 6000 rpm I believe and carries that about 800 to 1000 rpm befor falling back off

nearly impossible to keep the front wheel planted

crap for brakes

and handles so bad they wobble while on the center stand

the 72 H2 was a fine machine and quite tame in stock form

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but a 370 pound GSXR 1000 with around 175 horses and an engine that delivers amazingly deceptive power which is as constant as if it were an electric motor....... one of those will make you soil yourself

104 mph in first gear....... just under 3 seconds and carries the front wheel on past 90

will accelerate in top gear from 33mph all the way to 186 without a hiccup and rocket ship fast!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
A stock h2 is rideable but really, was any h2 ever left stock?

Those seca carbs are really neat, I have heard about people using them on a lot of other turbo applications. When I was still thinking about building a turbo cb750, someone suggested I search out a pair.

I think the CV carbs are what makes the seca more rideable than other turbo bikes of the era. While I normally loathe CV carbs in performance applications, a pressurized system where the carb adjusts to air pressure is rather efficient. With modern boost controllers and some updates to the ignition timing I bet you can really clean up the lag of that old seca and increase the boost at the same time.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
all the stock ones I sold, usually with second gear on the way out, got the ports hogged, chambers, and bigger carbs, undercut transmissions, and did low sixes with crazy people riding them.

I've only ridden one modified for drag racing

it really was scary

I think at least one side of the Seca turbo is too big, be nice for it to start in at 4000 and maybe blow off at 12 psi way on up there

I had a really nice bone stock blue and white 72 H2....... I wish I had kept it. Unlike most everyone else's, mine was anvil reliable and never gave any trouble. Never felt one bit of remorse for selling the 69..... until I watched nice one stock ones fetch 5 figures.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
What was that turbo Kawasaki made for a while? The Z1...something like that?
I've never so much as sat on a bike with a turbo.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Branson the turbo kawasaki you are thinking of is the Z1R-TC of turbocharged. It was basically a z1r with a rayjay style turbo kit on it and a single "injection" setup that was setup by ATP and halfway between a carb and a lake injector. They ran at about 6psi and were stone reliable but not much of an improvement over a stock z1r - then owners found they could turn up the adjustable wastegate to 30psi and make crazy hp until she popped, and pop she did. Rick Brett the famous kawasaki restorer and parts guy in the UK has one he runs at about 30 psi but the motor has been rebuilt to take it. They were $5000 new (about the price of a new car) in 1978 so not many got sold (500 units total). Additionally Craig Vetter produced the "Mystery Ship" which was also a turbo z1r, was fuel injected, and sold through kawasaki dealers. They sold 8.

This is kind of a cool site:
http://www.turbomotorcycles.org/

Hack - modern turbos spool so much faster and are 100% more efficient than what is on that seca. If you spend good money for a ball bearing dual scroll small turbo I betcha that beastie will come on like a switch at 2500rpm and run hard till redline. If you want to do it cheap, all the local turbo guys here pirate the stock turbos from subaru dealerships. My buddy works at one that does performance upgrades and he takes home a stock one a week.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts