Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to find a donor seat and build the tail cone from fiberglass. The ideas is to attach it to the donor seat pan and have a pad made by a local motorcycle upholsterer. However had the idea of removing the florist foam with a claw hammer, thank you for the idea!

WP_20151212_003.jpg WP_20151212_006.jpg WP_20151212_008.jpg WP_20151212_009.jpg WP_20151212_015.jpg WP_20151212_016.jpg WP_20151213_002.jpg

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Looks like you got yourself a real nice 750f. Some folks would refer to it as a "survivor".
Yea........from the look of the last photo it appears to be a nice example of an old 750F. Which are getting harder to come by as well.

They are more Superbike which is a real nice time in the history of these machines. Not so much 60s British single cafe look.

I hope you don't do anything that can be undone cause you have a fine looking machine as it sits.

good luck.

Screenshot_2015-12-19-18-38-41.png

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tail cone is off to the upholsterer for covering. He'll use black marine-grade vinyl and cover the tail cone as a "sock", then finish the seat pad and butt stop. I'm pretty satisfied with the project so far; all parts removed can be reinstalled in about a day so the stock 750F is still a reality. If I tire of the look, back to stock.

WP_20151220_001.jpg

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I felt a tiny bit bad after that first post(it was nicer than my first draft).

Not that I felt that I'm wrong but that you might take it as dissing your workmanship. Looks like you did a fine job building your bump stop seat.

As long as you hang on to all the original parts and keep it so it can be returned to original we can all laugh about this later.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I felt a tiny bit bad after that first post(it was nicer than my first draft).

Not that I felt that I'm wrong but that you might take it as dissing your workmanship. Looks like you did a fine job building your bump stop seat.

As long as you hang on to all the original parts and keep it so it can be returned to original we can all laugh about this later.
Constructive criticism is always helpful, especially in my case. Not having a background in café style bikes I don't know what's right, wrong, acceptable, or unacceptable. A constructive direction (cone looks too tall, too long, shape looks off) would have been helpful. But, it's an opportunity for me to do something different than cookie cutter. I appreciate your compliment regarding the building of the seat.

No issues with preserving removed parts. It may take a day or so but can be restored to OEM. ... and I'm laughing already! :)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The best thing you can do for that bike is to put an aftermarket exhaust on it, leave the airbox. Not for power gain, you'll lose close to 50 lbs. I don't know what's available any more.

Looks as though you may have clubmans on it. You'll find they are too low and narrow. That's a heavy ass bike. Superbike bars, a bend similar to the ones in the pic Knappyfeet posted are what you want.

You have a somewhat iconic bike there. Ok that may be a little strong, but people like them. I had one in high school, along about 1985-6. Same factory paint scheme as the one Knappyfeet posted. Yours is newer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keniniowa, After reading many threads, the air box has to stay. And after talking with Limey Bikes in Austin, where he said the same thing, no doubts about that. I have found several DOHC 4-1 exhausts (don't recall brand names) that will help strip the weight. When I do go with the 4-1, I'm thinking of a Dunstall-type muffler with reverse cone; don't want the shorty but will hopefully fit a longer one that will end near the vertical line of the tail cone and sweep up.

I've not changed the handlebars; they are stock and appear to be the same height above the tank as Knappyfeet's bike. I owned a Ducati 748 for about a year in the last 3-4 years; it was a cool and quick ride (not to mention the Ducati music created by the dry clutch) but the posture (leaning over and looking up) was too hard on my neck. When a previous thread response mentioned the "Sport Kit", and that the existing bars looked similar, I was satisfied with the set-up.

I teach motorcycle safety and get to ride a variety of training bikes (Nighthawks, CBRs, Rebels, etc.) and you are right: this one is heavy, even when compared to the ST3 I ride. Once we get it put together, we'll do the Total Control Intermediate Riding Clinic and then take the Advanced Riding Clinic; I'm really interested in how this bike handles at low speed as well as higher speed in corners. There may also be a track day in the spring.

I did find the 900F muffler supports that incorporate the foot pegs; the pegs are about 4-inches farther to the rear. I did have to cut the old footpeg through-bolt down to length (swing arm bolt is the original length) and cut some new threads, as well as get a brake shaft bushing made and pressed-in to the right plate, but everything else bolted up; the shifter appears to operate but am waiting for the seat before taking a ride. A little brown and white rouge on a buffing wheel did a remarkable job on the aluminum. Perhaps a little more spit and polish on the plates and we're ready for clear coat.

I did see a similar CB750F SuperSport for sale in Houston on craigslist; new whitish paint, nice condition:$3,450. Depending on the geography, they do have good value!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts