Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who've mounted a 'glass tailpiece, what do you got in the way of taillight ideas? Man, I just can't make up my mind. Seems like every option I try in one way or another diminishes from the beauty of the tailpiece.

BTW, I'm working on a '71 CB350 with a CR450 short seat (you know, the one that fits with the long fiberglass tank).

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, I'm not sure if it would work for you, but I used Semi marker lights on the back of my 360. I'm not sure how well they would work with a round tail section though. I made mine out of a seat off of a powerwheels so it is flat in the back. The semi lights mount with a rubber gromet, so it might flex enough to fit depending o n how round your tail is. They look clean and cost next to nothing. I think I paid $3 apiece for mine. Good luck finding the right light. I know I spent a lot of time thinking it through before I could decide.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If we're talking "bumstop" tails - I like the solution RichieD the shop teacher came up with for one of the two project bikes they did. The recessed a pair of round LED lenses into the bumstop so the lines of the tail were not messed up.

I have also found the tail light from a Hayabusa has almost the same curve as a bumstop. I have seen the stock lenses (sometimes with the bulbs and bracket) sell on Ebay for under $10 . You'd have to build some mounts and maybe trim the tail a bit to make it work....

Jim

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
well you will hate what the license plate will do to your tail looks as well so while you have to fit the plate try and fit the lights in to that bracket .some guys on ebay like speedmoto sell tail lights incorperated with the plate and its a small task to bracket small bright plastic turn signals to this.
Now you are getting the idea of design challenges.That bike designers face ...welcome to the world of transportation design.

If all else fails stare at Ducati they will turn some light bulbs on in your mental design factory.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

Edited by - LiLBULL on Sep 02 2007 10:03:58 AM

·
Registered
97 Posts
I found a great solution to licence plate light woes. They now sell bolts with LEDs in them. No matter what you mount your plate to your going to have to bolt her down, so it's a great clean alternative and opens up all sourts of placement options. I think I saw them in a Dennis Kirk or J&P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts