Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you noticed that getting parts from vendors; no mater where they are is taking weeks and weeks. I've tried different shipping companies and none are really getting the job done in a timely fashion. I'm not actually complaining I'm wondering if anyone has found a shipper that is still getting it done or maybe it would be better to ship premium ways like 3 day air or something.

I've got 6 race bikes on the build and they're all held up for bits. Even how the deliveries go is getting crappy. I live along a rural road in the dairy country of Northern California. I have a nice paved road leading to a paved drive. I received a large box of bodywork from AirTech yesterday. Shipping company left the box in the road at the end of my driveway and the wind blew it out into the road. Lucky for me it was so big no one hit the thing but still not a proper delivery and not how it was in the past.

I did have good luck with a few things coming from UK via DHL not the cheapest but I got the stuff. So has anyone found a company and a mode they're happy with that I should try ?

Cheers

·
Registered
790 Posts
not post is my first thought. i'm the australian distributor for california cycleworks, who ship to me via ups. if i choose worldwide saver it's still 3 days usa to au for a decent size box. maybe ups run their own planes?

the main issue as i understand it is lack of flights, meaning lack of cargo space. they're allegedly flying passenger planes around au with parcels in the seats at the moment. i've sent a couple of eproms to europe, 2 months even using a courier that partners with dhl. two months for a fuel pump from au to nz. i got some motolectric lead kits sent out, they took about a month to get from the san fran usps warehouse to the san fran international airport. i got an email letting me know when they arrived at both places, like it was progress.

the other issue is that it seems there's still so many deliveries being done that the end deliverers are busy as and dropping like your airtech box to save time. plus because of covid you aren't allowed to sign any more so they don't actually have to get that. although one post contractor who comes to me regularly has to take a photo to prove it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have an internet business and we have had orders take 2 weeks to get across the country. About the same, 2 weeks, shipping time to get a Duck part from Florida.

Interesting, Brad's comment, about the lack of aircraft. I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. I would imagine the social distancing inside the sorting plants isn't helping the situation. This is very similar to when catalogue shopping was the way of the world. It was always a couple weeks between the order and receiving the package, we waited with anticipation and excitement then. Patience is a dying virtue.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
It's ok nobody is doing any racing so far this year either. If you've survived or avoided the plague so far, the real problems are only just starting. I've seen only one jet contrail over-head in the last 2 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts