Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gather round and I will regale you with the tale of the cursed dream, a motorcycle for which the dark nexus of the universe seems to congregate and bestow untold motorcycle riches upon those who possess it.....but always at the cost of their own avarice.

I first encountered said Dream while living in New Orleans. The bike, either a 1964 or 1965 blood red on red, had a murky past already when I first saw it derelict, shoved into an unlit corner, a skeleton of its former self. Supposedly it had been stolen 3 or 4 times but always recovered and rebuilt. There was a murder involved at one point also, but of that I am not sure. How it came to the shop was a mystery in and of its self as nobody could remember buying it and no customer invoice could be found for it. The owner of the shop claimed it as his own, and while it was there the shop flourshed working on everthing from vespas to NSU sportmax replicas, with some 50's MVs thrown in for good measure. Either way, while the bike was there times were good.

At some point I came to own this accursed object, maybe through horse trade, maybe it sought me out, but either way I gave no money for it. Soon after though the shop slowly began to shrivel. At the time I took her in I owned 3 bikes, my cb750, a 1975 kawasaki h1 that I exploded, and a 1974 h1 project, but within a month the cb550 chopper came to me for a very good price. And then another good deal popped up, and another, and soon my Storage unit was filled. I though nothing of it at the time, thinking myself a vain and excellent bargain hunter for rare motorcycles, but how wrong I was. With the dream in my possession I was offered everything from TZs to CB1100Rs, more than I had money for or time, but it knew there would be more money and the delusion of more time so it wore me down and the collection grew.

I tramped this dream with me around the country, like an unknown albatross. Always calling and culling the best deals to me. $500 running cb750s, secret caches of race parts, Kawi triples, Dunstall Nortons - it all found me. My ego grew, surely it couldn't be anything else?

Then 6 months back a friend needed some parts to keep his own dream running and I donated the wreck to the cause. While in his possession cheap brit bikes started to find their way to his garage, crawiling slowly, leaving a rusty streak in the streets to his door, while I lamented that there were no more $500 cb750 runners to be found.

And then I got it back one day again for free, and now the once great 20 bike collection that had begun to shrivel is once again striving, the projects are disappearing, and the forlorn and cheap and dribbling out the sipgot once more. I guess it is true what they say, becareful what you wish for....

·
Registered
865 Posts
Good story. Reading this makes me want to leave work early and go work on the whore in the garage.

Why is it when you have one you just want more and more!?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Good story. Reading this makes me want to leave work early and go work on the whore in the garage.

Why is it when you have one you just want more and more!?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Want to park it chained with 8 chains on the street?...

I might need some of that mojo to rub off seeing how I live around the block from you.
Since it's only halfway..I might get some half luck.

Larry -

·
Registered
325 Posts
Want to park it chained with 8 chains on the street?...

I might need some of that mojo to rub off seeing how I live around the block from you.
Since it's only halfway..I might get some half luck.

Larry -

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It isn't a radiating beacon of luck, think of more like a cursed monkey paw. If I chained it in the street it would just find a way to escape and possess someone else.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It isn't a radiating beacon of luck, think of more like a cursed monkey paw. If I chained it in the street it would just find a way to escape and possess someone else.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Let me take that upstate with me for a while.
Maybe tz350s will start coming over the border, or the rest of the untapped barns will open up

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Let me take that upstate with me for a while.
Maybe tz350s will start coming over the border, or the rest of the untapped barns will open up

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Firm prose Geetz, good read.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Firm prose Geetz, good read.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I get over to my garage this week I will take some pics of this accursed object. It is a real thing, not something I just made up. Jaguar, my friend Grant from HFL, and I were wrenching on a cb750 two weekends ago when the subject came up about that bike. I am not superstitious at all but there is a weird vibe that the bike gives off. Grant know some of its history, and I think Jaguar didn't believe us when we said it has picked up some bad new orleans mojo at some point in its life.

You can't bid for it. The last 5 times it has changed hands it has done so for little or no money. But IT picks it's owners. If I just randomly gave it away I am sure it would find its way back to me and make me pay for the transgression, and the last thing you want is some bad new orleans mojo turning on you.

Another New Orleans friend of ours suggested an interesting theory, and that was this bike has above average will to live. If you think about it, it was stolen a bunch of times, and always recovered and rebuilt, and it was beat for a long time and it always found a way to keep running. His theory is that it draws motorcycle deals to it in the hopes that some of the parts will fit and it will get restored. This means that the only way to break its spell is to restore it, but without papers or a vin, this is a dodgy proposition. Also it doesn't explain why the deals that come to the person seem to be things that the person likes, for me it was usually cb750s, kawi triples, and a norton, for my buddy it was triumph stuff, for the shop it was vespa and italian stuff.

maybe the whole thing is in my head and I am going batshit crazy very slowly. But if so, then it is a fun and interesting slowly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
entertaining web you weave Geeto67 I agree alot of the cool stuff is drying up except in the midwest for some reason but shipping costs make it not such a deal....oh well Im sure something else will take their place .Ive seen alot of dreams seems like they have been sitting so long only thing good one them is ussually the tank trim inside the tanks are ussualy rusted to the point of returning itself to the earth. I still dream of dreams my friend had one growing up we had lots of fun on .....I havent met a dream I didnt like they are true pure classics

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Bring it up to me and it can breed with my parts 160 dreams. But keep it the hell away from my nice giro bike 160 Dream, it doesn't need to be led astray...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I have a '72 Boneville, which I bought in pristine condition with 9,000 miles on the clock - practically brand new (no, I know better)...

Many stories to tell about it, none of them pleasant.

Once upon a time, I was VERY ready to part with it, but a woman made me keep it. Now I'm stuck with it forever (as is Gurl), and it's gonna be a multi-thousand dollar restoration. But... it's like my first-born. How does one discard that? Motorcycles are truly the work of the devil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts