Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm just starting to work on the fuel tanks (they are all steal as are required some places by rule) and I find that I've totally run out of my old supply of foam to prevent sloshing.
Does anyone know of a supplier that sell this foam at a reasonable price for lots of small chunks. What I don't really need is a huge, cut to size block for a race car fuel cell.
Since I bought the stuff the last time the price has gone way up and I also worry about quality because of the crap race fuel you are required to use in some places especially California.
Please pass along any ideas and thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You know that perforated big-o pipe they put around building foundations, farmers stuff about a hundred feet of that flex pipe into their water tanks to stop the water from sloshing around in the tank, if you can come up with a fuel safe product similar but smaller, I bet it would work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JCW,
I was a car guy. Built race cars for 40 years and we did use that stuff in the fuel cells all the time. The real problem with going to my old suppliers is that it is either sold in a pre-cut chunk for ...like a NASCAR cell or in fairly large chunks at fairly high prices. I am looking for someone selling the stuff in motorbike sized pieces. And trying to still keep the price down. I do thank you for the suggestions. Airtech are good guys and I've been dealing with them for quite awhile but those pre-cut chunks are small and fairly expensive. In fact I'm waiting for the bodywork for the Classic SBK's right now. We're going to dress the bike in both '70's /'80's limited bodywork like Wes Cooley or full fairings like Greame Crosby used in World Endurance.

So JCW know of anyone who makes Triple Clamps ? What we need is OEM Caster and measurements but with clamping that's more than one bolt top/bottom per fork leg. It's a thing we could do here but if you or someone in the CafeRacer world knows a shop with the equipment to just copy a standard OEM set with more clamping it will save time we're running out of.
Things sure take forever to get here from the suppliers.... have you noticed ?

And TR,
I need to be very careful about what kind of foam I use. First I need to be sure (Consider the CRAP FUEL and that's even race fuel we are stuck with here in California) that the foam does not turn to dust/goo if a wee bit of fuel is left in the tanks. It's also important to consider how large the cells (air spaces) in the foam are. You want the foam to slow down how fast the fuel moves from left to right or front to rear in the tank but you don't want it to happen so slowly that you starve the pick-up of gas. The other consideration is that you don't want to restrict capacity (the IOM races have a fuel stop at 1/2 way) too much. I try for foam that is usually about 3.5 to 5 %. of total volume loss.

Just a by the way at the Isle of Man you can usually fit a wee bit larger tank than the street versions of the motorbikes came with. Does help but you still need to be careful as the motorbikes spent a lot of time WFO .

Thanks again for the input and taking the time to post me back. Keep on keeping on ....fastly.

Cheers
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts