Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT KIND TO USE, I AM BUILDING A 80 CB750 CAFE AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT KIND OF TANK TO USE I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING WITH KNEE INSERTS I FOUND SOME BUT THEY ARE LIKE 800 BUCKS AND THATS TOO MUCH FOR ME.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING WITH KNEE INSERTS
so basically you're gay...that is what you are trying to tell us, right?

unstick your caps lock key.

what model cb750? F, K, or C? it makes a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i am gay, is that a problem???? no really its a cb750 k , i have built a couple xs650's in the past and am trying something different. dont really know where to start and figured i would get involved in a new forum thanks for the great welcome to your site.

·
Registered
201 Posts
geeto your gonna lose on knee dents.. just face it they are the coolest part about owning a cafe racer!!!! just bang some into your tank and come out of the closet geeto!! and get some clubmans already!!

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
dude, we fuck around a lot here....it is all in good fun.

if you bothered to use the search function you would have learned two things: 1) we fuck around a lot; and 2) the knee dent thing has been beaten to death.

The cb750c custom tank has smallish knee indentations in it but it is a teardrop shaped chopperish looking tank. The cx500 ad 650 are more square and have a little more pronounced sections are are probably your closest realtive to the DOHC cb750.

and suzukisam, Function wins over form in the end...unless you have a bona fide reason for needing them eventually they will just be another fad.

·
Registered
201 Posts
that's ok I live my life on the losing side.. I have looked it up and thats why I'm giving you hell about it!! cause your still giving hell about it! I'm just messing with you too.. I've been hazed enough I think I've earned the right to give a little back haven't I?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
if you don't give it back here....I just won't respect you.

Its the internet, nothing said here is meant to be taken seriously. Besides if we don't mix it up a little how are we going to give you a snazzy new nickname? who knows you could be my next gay uncle or additionally evil, or well...pretty soon it will get sorted out.

besides, it is kinda fun to go back and forth like this. personally I don't really care what people do...unless you are banging around an NOS tank, then we may have words (I collect weird things like that). I am like the bad guy in wrestling, love to hate but at the end of the day it is all meaningless and fake anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah, the trick is to not puss out. We've had a couple of soft ones this week, and I'm kind of losing faith in manhood.

Tank: doing knee indents RIGHT is expensive (or cheap, but that would mean you're skilled with metal, in which case you probably wouldn't be asking). But as others have pointed out, there are some tanks like the CX500 that are already there and fairly cheap on ebay.

Has anyone around had experience with joining fiberglass and metal? Perhaps cutting the angles out and then covering with screen and glass would be an option.

Anyway, the knee indents aren't the hard part. The hard bit is painting the checkers on the tank and finding those badass '69' racing decals.

A

·
Registered
201 Posts
well I have worked in a shop where we made vintage speedsters from scratch on an english wheel.. so the knee dent should be a walk in the park. I'm not going to lie and pretend I did much of that actual hand crafting, but I did some and I made many vintage patch panels and things. so I've been around it a lot and have done a fair amount myself. so I'm good with the knee dents and painting checkers.. there is an easy trick for your checkers. you use 3/4" masking tape and lay three stripes the use another couple pieces the other way to cut your squares then u just remove the squares you don't need after you've cut the whole thing into a grid.. I can post a tech thread on it if you want!!

And you can't get rid of me, I'm not weepster!!!! I'll just get meaner!!! lol... anyway if I can't be a smart ass then I'm not having fun!
aren't cafe bike about being different and and getting away from the norm? cause I ain't "normal"... ask my wife!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:

And you can't get rid of me,
no shit! you've only been around for only a couple weeks and you've already thrown up over a hundred posts!!!

"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top." -Edward Abbey

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
"Its the internet, nothing said here is meant to be taken seriously. Besides if we don't mix it up a little how are we going to give you a snazzy new nickname?"

i have one all picked out for the weepster!

but only if he comes back and plays nice.

texy

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
yes i am gay, is that a problem???? no really its a cb750 k , i have built a couple xs650's in the past and am trying something different. dont really know where to start and figured i would get involved in a new forum thanks for the great welcome to your site.
I dunno tex, I think he may have picked up his toys and gone home...

..too bad too, we were easier on him than most.

I just love that people log on to a new message board and they automatically assume every question is new and novel and has an obvious answer that they just haven't figured out yet. Like we haven't talked about knee dents or bars or rearsets a thousand times before.

Plus I love the assumption that "cafe bikes" are now style bikes and not functional motorcycles anymore, therefore we need to pound knee dents and install half baked equipment in order to look the part.

I thought we created the FAQ's so we wouldn't have to hear anymore "I just got a cb750 and how do I make it look cool" posts. If someone doesn't want to do the FAQ on clubmans, I think I am going to do it this weekend...which could be a good or bad thing depending on your stance on the issue.

Solid - if you can wade through most of the crap here, we haqve tried to answer your question as best we can. There are a few more posts in the history that discuss cafing DOHC cb fours, might not hurt to look for them. oh and here is your welcome ---> WELCOME TO THE MONKEY HOUSE

·
Registered
201 Posts
well if you truly want me to go I can! But generaly speaking a hard time won't make me leave. I apologize if I have offended any of you cafe racing gods... but I am excited about my bike.. and think even race bikes in the most basic form are still worthy of class and good looks. and in my case, my bike is gonna be a bar hopper. I'm just cruising it.. though it would be fun to have a race bike. I've looked up many things in the faq that I have not asked or posted... and correct me if I'm wrong(not intended to be a smart ass comment) But I thought all threads were open to everyones thoughts and comments? I'm getting the feeling I don't understand the rules or something.. I looked for a faq on rules and am not finding one on rules.. maybe someone should right one on etiquette for this forum.. ha ha... I know weepster would have ben better off. I mean so far every time anyone has thought what I had to say was stupid they just said so!

oh yeah and the over a hundred posts in a couple weeks... see the problem is... I need a life

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 24 2007 6:38:55 PM

·
Registered
201 Posts
by the way i wasn't trying to be a smart ass, prick with that last post I was mainly serious... the "gods" comment was border line smart ass.. but no disrespect intended.. I actually really appreciate the help I've been getting and don't intend to piss anyone off..

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Shut the fuck up, knee-dent poser prick!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts