Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that we have gone over several different ways to deal with a rusty tank but I can't remember most of what was said. I never have any luck with the search heading above. If I could come up with the proper thing to type in I would try it.Any suggestions. Was there a way that seemed the best? Tears in my T120 tank don't seem to be helping.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try this, it worked great for me just the other day.

Go to Home Depot/Lowes etc., and pick up some stuff called Prep & Etch made by Kleen Strip. Get the gallon/bigger size. Remove your petcock and plug that port, make sure the tank is empty and pour the Prep & Etch in. I usually let it sit for about 5/10 mins at a time, and then shake/rotate the tank to make sure it contacts all of the tank. Depending on the severity of the rust, you can throw in some gravel to help knock of the bigger pieces. You can judge how long to let it sit inside by taking a peek every once in a while. When its finished the metal should look like new. At this point dispose of the dirty solvent(or save it in a bucket for rusty parts/pieces)and rinse out the tank with water. Make sure you have either WD40 or gas to fill it with almost immediately, as flash rust will occur if not.

Hope this helps you, my tank was HORRIBLE and it turned out like new.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
"Sure I can help!
This is the method I've used with success:
http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/motorcycle/KElecSetup.html

But afterwards I 'push' a sacrificial metal (like zinc
or copper) onto the tank. When I've just followed
this method, there was much 'flash rusting'. To do
the 'push' replace the coat hanger (I use rebar and
steel wool) with your sacrificial metal (zinc is
expensive but it works! You are galvanizing the tank)
http://www.advent-rm.com/items.asp?criteria=line&linenumber=ZN5644
and switch the anode and the cathode and then turn on
the charger.

Another hint, whip out your multimeter and add enough
sodium carbonate to match the output of the charger.
I have a constant 10amp charger and I use 1/2 cup
sodium carbonate to 4 gal of water (or there abouts)
Too much electrolyte and the charger will overload

Don't forget to use a inline fuel filter just in case!

Good luck!"

Brought to you with help of RickL, Chad Soloman and ChiVinMoto in general. Thanks guys. Now that the secrets of the moto-universe have been unlocked, Enough of this computer!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
stephen-

i've used this stuff twice (one combo pac will do two tanks). of course, it costs more than i usually spend on the tank but you don't have to worry about the rust coming back. i like it but don't apply the final coating in the cold, it takes way too long to set up....and the stuff is noxious.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/8874

-tt

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I can't believe that I would push a bike, that I have been hauling around with me since 1971,into unheated storage with a half a tank of gas.If I can't provide any better care than that maybe I shouldn't be aloud to own such things. This could be the kick in the ass I need to weed out my stuff and only keep what I can take proper care of.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Orchard Supply Hardware, Home Depot etc, Get some swimming pool Muriatic acid solution or just straight muriatic, sulphuric, hydrochloric acid. Cut the straight stuff with about 70% water. Fill yer tank 2/3 with Hotwater 1/3 Acid, Don't breathe those vapor wisps coming out your fill neck. Let her sit for a few hours in the sun. Keep the pets away from it. Look inside the tank and when it's shiny again, dump it onto your greasy, oil spotted garage floor after you've picked up everthing and swept.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hey treps
will it make your garage floor look like....shiney....stainless?
-parks
ps. how's the taco?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts