Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I loaned my FCB bike to another uscra member and it got crashed. They put it back together pretty much and fixed what needed it.

BUT, now since I got it back at the spring giro I noticed a little ding in the tank, looking closer it is where the right hand top triple clamp bolt hits the tank. Upon closer inspection I see that the steering stop on the left side of the lower triple tree (I think that's what it is called) is broken off.

Short of a lower triple, which I don't have, is there another way to fix it--ie: have a nub welded on, or even put a bolt in there for it to hit against it? Or, is OK just to run it like that and have more manueverabiltiy in pushing it around?

Plans are to use this bike in the endurance race and FCB next weekend.

thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
weld a nut or bolt or whatever on there, rules say you have to hit steering stops before damper bottoms out, or maybe champ will lend us a bike hes not using them this year anyway

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Midge, no steering damper. I don't have a welder, but may be able to take the bike to a shop sometime before next thursday. Maybe Henry S. will have his welder at the track.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Without seeing the lower triple in person I can't say for sure this'll work but it'd be a rare one that it wouldn't work on.

Drill and tap from underneath, put an 8mm allen head bolt in from the top. Use a locknut on the bottom if you can, either way use loctite.

I've done it at the track between races in order to get a crashed bike back through tech for the next race.

Michael

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'd definitely try to repair it though. I've bent mine up, broken them, several times in crashes.
The main reason I keep them fixed is it often gives you a moment to keep your hands from getting trapped between the clipons and the tank in a crash.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've seen cheapo frame mounts for dampers made out of two front axle caps and long 8mm bolts. It might take a little file work, but CB axle caps are close to the same diameter as the frame downtube on a 350. Almost all CB's have a nifty hole in the lower tree that would accept the plunger end of a basic damper as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The nice thing about the 8mm bolt trick where it works is that you can often use it to limit the steering lock to less than stock, and leave plenty of clearance between tank and bars to keep from trapping fingers. It's certainly as strong or stronger than most stock steering stops, especially if you use a grade 12.9 bolt.

YMMV, etc

Michael

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
rule says steering damper recommended but not required,
if you have a steering damper the steering stops must hit before steering damper bottoms out,
i welded on modified bolts to limit steering to less than stock to prevent top triple clamp form contacting aftermarket tank, i also put a steering damper on just for the hell of it

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
champ i know your just looking out [thanks] but a whole new untested front end a week before the race date isn't really practical advice, jack needs a steering stop welded bolted or other wise installed in a good solid safe manor, I'd say that's doable

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by champ

quote:Champ, you are just full of good advice tonight! Thanks
Jack, Just looking out for your safety.......and everybody else!!!
Champ, I understand that, and appreciate it. My original post, shown above was more directed at your response to my leathers question over on the other thread "lose weight". I would never intentinally do anything unsafe, but I will admitt sometimes I don't think all the way thru, like that with no steering stop I could smash my hand, lose control and hurt someone else.

It all makes sense! It will be fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts