Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready (in my mind anyway) to start tearing my CB550 down to the frame. This is a first for me and so I figured I'd ask if anyone had any advice. I probably won't start before Thanksgiving as I've got some stuff I want to do to make my little shop more comfortable over the winter. Even here in Greensboro it's chilly in the winter. Last year I froze my ass off drumming out there.

One thing I wondered about - is it worth raising the bike onto some kind of platform? I don't have a whole lot of room, but I could sqeeze it in. (Said the bishop to the actress)

Are there any tools I'm going to use a lot that I should just go ahead and buy?

Stattz

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I think you hit on an important topic already....comfort. The more comfortable you are the better work you'll do and the quicker it will get done.
I got my balls busted for it a lot....but until very recently I did all my work floor level....gotta admit things have been much easier with a lift.

The one thing I would recommend for tools. SIX point sockets and wrenches...when tearing down an old bike they can save you a lot of stripped heads on nuts and bolts. Sears now sells six point metric combination wrenches.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
a platform is ok, a lift is about 10x better. working on the ground sucks. make sure you have a good torque wrench, and an impact driver for removing things. 2 things i cant live without anymore. you'll figure the rest out. is that greesnboro n.c.?? i had a friend in hickory for a long time. she was a party a minute. i spent some time in salisbury at catawba partying. and yeah, it snows there. ive seen it.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am very low tech and do a lot of my work on a milk crate. Having the bike in the air makes it a lot easier to work on and you notice a lot more things. My father has a lift but I can;t always get my bikes on his platform and since we have 15 bikes, one bike can't monopolize the lift.
Buy a good allen key set, really good philips and flat head screw drives (magnetic tip prefered), a pair of ring pliers, an impact driver (screwdriver you hit with a hammer). and I personally like a set of nut drivers and good six point sockets. I have in the past set bikes up on jackstands but only when the exhaust is off and both wheels had to come off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is Greensboro NC. Hickory is about an hour away. Not many cafe racers here, but loads of squids and Harley types.

Stattz

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
number one honda mechanic say you must have a impact driver with phillips head #2 to work on honda motorcycles. big hammer help too!

-texasan

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
No doubt, the impact driver is an absolute must have. Learn how to use it well too. I've found that on the nastiest bolts the driver likes to be hit with a medium size ball peen. In general I like to use a hard rubber/nylon faced mallet...but the ball peen seems to add the extra shock that some screws require.

At the first sign that you are doing damage to the screw head....go with the driver before it's too late. Often I'll break them all loose with the driver without even trying them by hand.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I love my impact driver. The impact end has mushroomed very nicely over the years. I'm still on the original bits, and the original case.
As a back-up, when all attempts with the impact driver result in a stripped head, I use my Leatherman Crunch. That thing has the best jaws of any mini vice grip I've ever used.

FR

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
number one for dismantling old bikes ,Impact Hammer,you WILL strip heads without one!you will!!!

another usful tool is a inexpensive propane torch some times it helps to use a little heat and rust buster called BLASTER(available at napa) in a spray can.you can spray and comeback after lunch or next day or next time you turn around and they will be easier to loosen.

I also recommend a milk crate as its so cheap compared to a luxurious lift now Johhny b builds bikes so he should have one it gets back breaking after a while but one bike ......milk crate!

you dont need an arsonal of tools for a japanese bike just the normal sizes in metric oh and did I say IMPACT DRIVER A MOST!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts