Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here she is!!!

All kidding aside, it is very RARE to see a Cafe Race version of the very special CB350F. An interesting specimen can be found here: http://www.CB350F.com

Does anyone know of any others like this?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
A friend of mine has something similar - it is an old yosh cb350F racebike. It is mostly a junky old non-running racebike now but it has:

- yosh pistons (might be 380ccs)
- yosh cam
- yosh header
- titanium valvesrping retainers
- double coil vqalvesprings
- and god knows what other trick parts

it is a neat little bike and he keeps floping back and forth between selling it and keeping it and racing it in AHRMA or WERA but knowing him it will probably just grow more mold.

for some stupid reason those 350Fs are like roaches in NYC. All the hipster kids bought them and brought them in from other places. There are about 5 stockers I can recall off the top of my head in NYC, most parked outside.

As a former 350F owner, I think they are pretty but they are such a pig of a bike with absolutley no parts support whatsoever that I tell anybody considering one to run screaming in the opposite direction. For some reason and against the better judgement of many they have become cult bikes, probably because if you can't get something it just makes people want it more, and really you can't get much in the way of parts for these bikes. The bike really needs the 400/4's 6speed and extra ccs which is good because the 400 motor slips right into the frame. The 400 itself is a really cool bike though too and honestly I think the chassis is better.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
BTW, 350Fs are not rare by a long shot. Despite their 2 year production run they sold a butt load of them to unsuspecting buyers in the 1970s. Compared to a regular production brit bike they are downright common. Even compared to some other honda models that had 2 year production runs they are as common as hell (compared to cx500 turbos it looks like honda sold a million cb350fs). The reason you don't see that many of them is that when parts became scarce the ones that were dead mostly stayed dead. I usually turn up at least one moldering in someone's garage once a year when I am digging for project bikes. Last time I was at clancy's cycle salvage in New Orleans, he had 8 of them in the yard.

by the way - is that the uber rare stock silver paint or did you have that bike repainted? Is it a 1974?

there is some discussion as to whether they were actually sold in the US in 1974. Some believe that all 1974s are 1973 leftovers that could not sell but there are enough differences in the bike between the 72/73 models that support it being its own year production. They sold so few 1974 350f's, and there is some speculation that silver was even an offered color. It was for sure in japan and a few other markets but a stock silver one may be gray market in this country.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Geeto67, thanks for the awesome post. When I said rare..I mean you dont see CB350F's cafe'd out too often.

Let me ask..is it possible to put a cb350 (2) motor in a cb350F?

About the frame..it was striped, modified and painted silver :)

- Yes its a 1974

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JerryRice

I meant this bike being the original silver. Yeah none of them came with silver frames.

not possible to put a 350 twin in the 4 frame but some of the 350-4 suspension parts were lifted from the cb350twin. As far as I know the front ends are the same between the last year disc brake model twin and the four. The rear suspension I believe is striaght 400-4.

there are 2 other guys with 350-4s on this site, 3 if you count judey's milkcrates full of 350 parts. Nothing that looks like a mini cr750 though. That is a really neat idea however, to build a small scale street going cr350 phantom. I always though they would look good as a street replica version of the rc162 (minus 2 cylinders and plus 100ccs). they certainly have the sound.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
that bitch judey is at least smart enough to have always stayed clear of the 4's...with the exception of that SEXY tank. he's got one mounted on his twin project and it's killer. i even picked up a 4 tank for my own future twin project. god that tank is cool!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here's a very cool Hailwood/road race replica CB400F.
http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/mike-hailwood-replica.jpg
* Engine: Honda 400/4 with polished ports and casings
* Carbs: Fully refurbished and ultrasonic cleaned
* Ignition: Boyer Brandsen with battery and total loss system
* Frame: Powder coated (with V5). Goldstar clip-on’s and Amal levers
* Forks: CB 650 35mm with new top yoke and steering damper
* Brakes: Grimeca 230mm 4 l/s front and standard polished rear
* Shocks: New Hogan classic units
* Drive: New chain and sprockets
* Wheels: New Akront style front and rear with stainless spokes

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
yo cool,

wanna a CB400/4? drive to philly and buy mine. $1500.00 takes it!

that's right, $1500 boy-o!

cheers,

texy

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67
I always though they would look good as a street replica version of the rc162 (minus 2 cylinders and plus 100ccs). they certainly have the sound.
they sound amazing! i had one briefly and didn't find it to be slow at all for a 350. i had it up to an indicated 80mph and it felt like it had a good bit left in it. but the sound was the only reason i took it up that fast. mine had a 4 into 2 on it with 2 round things resembling mufflers.

speaking of sound, check this 125cc 4cyl...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts