Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put new mikuni vms on my 81 xs400 and with some initial "what the hell am i doing, and what does this thing do?" and a few bitch slappings on the forum here, i finally understand how they work sort of. anyway the xs400 will now do a wheelie with my heavy ass on it, accelerates at least as well as it did before. and while its still running rich at wot, it starts one kick everytime - it didn't do that w/ the stock cv's. thats all.

thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the VM is an awesome carb. The only thing the individual ones lack is an accelerator pump (GS750 rack carbs have them) which would get rid of the slight hesitation that comes from slamming the suckers open. The cv carbs most likely didn't have the accel pump either so you probably won't even notice. fix that WOT rich condition and you will be all set. Congrats dude.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I found a XS400 for a hundred bucks and want it badly but I need the cash for rockerbox incase I find something. Maybe I won't find anything he'll still have the bike. Where did you get the VM's and how much? Any pics of your XS?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are pics of my bike on the sticky: pics of your bike post in the general forum. its not a looker btw. it doesn't even have a tailpiece, its primer grey, its dirty, the pics are dark. engine first cosmetics second. i'd cry if it were painted nice, as many times as the tank gets removed or oil smeared.
the vms came from tucker rocky, they were about 160 bucks or so for the pair. took advice from here and used an yamaha rd throttle cable from hvc cycle set me back like 50 bucks they worked great. i see lots of potential in the bike as both a good looking machine and well performing machine. its taken my abuse pretty well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just curious as I'm picking up my hundred dollar XS400 on sunday. It doesn't come with carbs and I'll be working on this bike as a winter project. Would you just suggest a round or if I had some extra cash to throw around would the TM's be worth it or just stick with the VM's?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i picked the vm because it was more common, and i was sure it would work on a four stroke machine. i have, however, heard the tm is a better carburator. what year xs, what shape is it in?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It's weird. He said it's a 81 Special but it's got spoked wheels. Condition he said was good with no rust but just dusty from sitting in dry storage for like 10 years. Hey, for 100 bucks you can't be too picky. Only thing he said is missing are the carbs, headlight and side covers. I've got a headlight and the sidecovers would come off anyways so it's not a big deal. That's why I asked about the carbs. From the pics the bike looks good and the wheels are spotless along with the engine. We'll find out Sunday.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
both xs400 models from 81 are specials, the one with spokes is a Special II, i think. for racing/customizing purposes they are the same machine.
both have rear drum brakes, but the earlier models have a disk setup, i can't imagine it being difficult to swap the swingarm and wheel and gain a rear disk brake setup. i am also trying to hash out a second front disk brake for mine. i am thinking at least a new wheel and a fork lower would make it happen.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm gonna keep the wheels that are on it because there's no rust and their true. Oh man, first rockerbox tomorrow and then a new bike on sunday. Then next weekend, another vintage bike show and swap meet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts