Cafe Racer Forum banner

that place in november

9K views 144 replies 23 participants last post by  imslow 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
other things ive heard. the longest safe track layout is less than a mile. (ive heard just over 3/4 mile) i also heard there is no highspeed stuff. all under say 4th gear max most of it being 2nd gear. before you guys all decide to go committing to this, ya better make sure its going to be worthwhile. its not far from me, but im definitely not going to waste my time.

jc

#4 ·
Anyone know how long was the Frontierland course? That was short, technical, and a damn good fun even on my BMW. BFD and I raced with VRRA on a small track (St Croix) and left with smiles on our faces. I think its worth checking out, besides, where else are you going to road race in November?
Wonder if we can bring the mini bikes and run the dirt course too. Now we're talking!

Jeff

#5 ·
i heard 8/10ths of a mile. and pretty much all 2nd gear, a little 3rd gear, and barely 4th on the straight. ill let you guys check it out. but im not going to commit until i know its worth doing,and so far, everything ive heard, to me at least, its not. theres a wera round at las vegas on nov 4th. (just giving you crap)

has there been an answer about camping? i dont see any garages, showers, or established pit areas there. much less electricity etc....just things to think about. i realize alot of us have generators, and are self reliant, but alot of people arent. alot of people dont have canopies and things like that. and it can still be cold, and or raining. ive heard summit refunds your $$$ if no tires touch the track for track days. jut seems like a big commitment for a pretty unusual thing.

jc

#6 ·
I typically gear my bikes so I use most of the gears regardless of track type.
At Frontier on my 200 I'd max out in fifth with NHIS gearing...course the two "straights" were both kind of downhill.
Roper said Frontier was one of the best races he'd been to. I enjoyed it because yeah, it was short and technical, and a track where a small bike, or a rider with skillz could do well against larger bikes.

Nelson Circuit at Shannonville can't be more than about a mile and it's a fun track. But yeah, I'd guess Etown in that layout is about 3/4 mile.
I'd expect it to be pretty much like the old Frontier event in a lot of ways ( like the camping and such). I'd hate to see the club pay a lot for this event....unless they've done some more work since those photos were taken.
JohnnyB

#7 ·
I'll agree that it will take some sorting out to make it viable but you shouldn't get too negative before you try it out. I'll even go so faras to bet you'd like it! Is it too far from you Joe? or its it just the 15th track within 5 hours of you? So jaded with your diverse track selection.

it'll need a bit of work but the owners seemed open to input. Yes, it is short but we could just do 8-10 laps instead. As for gearing? with a NH gearing if you came out of 12(or 13) onto the straight into 3rd you will definitely top 5th by the end of the straight. turn one ain't sht so keep on it.

another cool thing is the ability to run different configurations for diff classes. the config shown wouldn't work for say the modern 125's but there is another one that would. transformers yo.

that's all I got. y'all can sleep at the bowl if there ain't no camping. it'll be just as cold though.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

#9 ·
What we need is some continuity.

I take it from the saturday comment that a date is set? Where did you get that? I have been checking the USCRA list regularly trying to gather any info I can... I have also been e-mailing AND calling Champ and the the big boss to offer my help with no luck. We really have a LOT of interest here in NYC but I don't have anything to work with. It will be hard to get any turnout without some advance notice.

so what day is it?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

#10 ·
ya know, im not saying it cant be good for certain bikes etc. i cant imagine wrestling around a norton 750 or a big ducati around there. the red layout looks quite a bit safer than the regular layout. that keyhole entrance and exit corners look pretty dangerous the way they are. (but then t3 and 10 at louden i guess really arent that much worse) and im not saying no way am i going. but if im gonna pay the usual or more to race, and the track is just boring slow, id probably skip. especially if theres no place to stay easily. especially for a non points race at this point. if the turn outs are good, and the track is good, id probably do next year. it looks like its be awesome for the xrs though. the front straight at summit is just about 5/8 mile. just to put it into perspective. and id agree that it would be alot more attractive to me at least if there was a little more development then what you can see in the pics. also, if its gonna cost alot, why not look into summit for a date next year? i still dont get why not that. ive heard its not way expensive, and alot of the wera guys would probably show up.

jc

#12 ·
summit is booked! good luck getting a date there. pocono is booked too, but you might have better luck there, especially if we (the club) sticks to monday racing.

can someone tell me/us if this thing is gonna happen and how much it's gonna cost?

tex

#13 ·
Tex,

I keep hearing that Pocono is booked. Or another track is booked. But I've contacted Pocono. They have available dates. Cost is comparable to NHIS. And from what I've heard less than Englishtown. But I have not contacted Englishtown so I really don't know their rates. Also, Watkins Glen is available. Both this year and next.

Tracks are out there. Are there enough racers that are willing to go? That's what I think is the real concern. I think Bob is taking a big risk by putting up 10 to 15 grand on the hope that you'll get enough racers to show up so he could at least break even. I hope I'm wrong.

Craig

#14 ·
new groups are getting in at summit all of the time. i dont buy that completely just because i hear things like craig is saying. also, i know new yorl sportbike club just had a track day at pocono, thier first. it was friday. it would seem to be advantageous to have an established race club, as opposed to a bunch of squids who may or may not be back. i dunno. maybe im just biased. and if they had done something about it 15 years ago, thered be a date there. and hey...imagine 135 guy up against rabbie!

jc

#15 ·
pocono north course is AWESOME! fusa layout is good. east course is passable!

i'm willing to give e-town raceway park a shot (just need to know how much-ie is gonna cost-ie)!

champy want to chime in?

texy

#17 ·
Etown is going to be on Nov. 10.

As stated in Bob C's USCRA List post 25974.

I don't get the "slow" is boring. Slow is caused by turns...real turns. Turns are fun.... for those of us who can turn. How can a race be boring if everyone is going as fast as they can. I find the typical "fast" tracks a snore, too easy. Any schmoo with HP can win.
JohnnyB

#19 ·
josie-

i'm with johnny b.on this one, slow is all relative. i've seen the layout and it's technical and small without a lot of obvious passing zones, but what won't be a hoot about racing around that? it should make for some really neat dicing and strategy as motor won't make such a difference. i love summit and yeah, it has a huge straight and if your motor isn't fresh, that striaght can cost you a race, or in my case eight or so races. and what's the big deal about reaching top speed on a stock 350 anyway? and think about it, there are only two real braking zones around summit (T1&T5, and yes, you kinda might need to grab a gear for T4orT10). at the e-town track it'll be a party...working the bike the whole damn time. i think it'll rock. i mean, what's the most fun part of summit, braking down the hill from 5th to 2nd and building speed all the way to 9 or cruising by the flag tower in 5th to wave at phinney? what's more fun at NHIS, fast T2 or slow T3? i don't even think i'd care that much for riding/racing if it weren't for how much fun it is to carry speed through the "slow" turns.

damnit i really need a race-
tt

#20 ·
I can understand some of the two stroke guys liking a "fast" track...they are trying to keep it on the pipe all the time. But us four strokes...hey every turn is an opportunity, and slow turns a great place to out brake, out think, pick a better line than an opponent.
I'm not big on chicanes like NHIS has, but I like a track with quite few turns where you hardly finish one turn before you have to flop it over for the next turn. It's work, but yeah, it makes strategy and skill a big part of the race. Nobody likes getting passed every lap on the straight and having to earn it back on the turns. And who gets the respect...the guy with the HP, or the guy making the passes in the turns?
JohnnyB

#22 ·
This 2 smoke guy likes short tracks. JB is right about places to pass and not be repassed by someone with HP...like JB.
I didn't have any problem with my heavy SRX600 at E-town. and I think I was getting to the high 80's on the longest straight. That's not much slower than NHIS.

FC

#23 ·
you guys just need another track. if you want slow, go race a 50 in a parking lot and get yourself off that way. i race to go fast. close dicing with your buddies on anything is fun. paying an assload to go slow, and not have a place to stay, and no electricity, no showers, no camping, etc etc etc sounds lame. like i said, ill wait to hear what its like. im not jumping into this thing too fast. it just seems like there are and could be other things out there to go after that are better. passing on the striaght is fun. passing in corners is fun. brakes are fun. gas is fun. rubbing elbows with your boys is fun. but given the option, id rather save the cash and time and go to nelson, or vir, or mid o, or summit, or even beaver for that matter. chances are they will schedule for one summit weekend, one vir weekend, and probably mid o. i mean given the options, why not schedule it for the same weekends as other races int he area. im just bitter.

did i mention i beat tex 2x this weekend???

there, now i feel better.

jc

#25 ·
thats kinda funny. a 350 honda speed demon. almost 80? frank doesnt care, he'll race rv's from his house to there and be happy about doing that! @ 8/10's of a mile, how many laps?? 10? 12? hmmm. im not saying its not great to have another venue. i guess its just why that one? if its fun, and people go, im in for sure. if its expensive and the turn out is sucky, and there isnt more than what you see in the pic....id probably not list it as a must do. gunstock sounds awesome as i was in with the 1st group to go back there. they'll have to decide if the 350hondas can run there. unfortunately, if its the same schedule as always, ill be at summit on saturday, so there wont be any help from me. but ill be there. i wont be there for november cuz im done with the bike for the season. i have a pile of changes i want to make to it. so i gotta get started soon.

i hope it all goes well. and whats this new noise level thing going too be?? i guess ill have to get up there and check it out.

jc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.