Cafe Racer Forum banner

The 1966 YL1 100cc TWINJET lives again

7K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  DansMoto73 
#1 ·
well, many of you may remember the rust colored bike I rode in last year's giro. Here it is, almost finished . . . and it runs!! See ya in NJ.

See less See more
#4 ·
The tank was NOS from Thailand . . . eBay find. Worked out well, There is a lot on this bike now from Bangkok, there seems to be a lot of NOS stuff there for these type of bikes. Couldn't be found or done without the ’net

ps I didn't take a photo of the right side because I have only found a left NOS muffler . . . Still waiting for a right!!

Edited by - imslow on Mar 13 2007 12:32:43 PM

#5 ·
Evil,
Very nice piece of work there. That's a sharp little bike.

I've seen some very cool stuff on ebay out of Bangkok but have always been hesistant to bid on it. So the transactions went smooth?

I've been getting some NOS Honda stuff from Holland from a place BFD turned me on to....amazing what some of these other countries have for NOS.
JohnnyB

#6 ·
I had four things come from Thailand, 3 different sellers, all arrived packaged beyond expectations. Time is about 8-12 days, that tank was $50.00 for shipping. (I can't tell from the carton exactly what it costs, as it is in rupees or something). It's a little weird, I know, sending paypal to someone so far away, but I did check feedback before ordering. And even then I was a little skeptical, as who knows whether or not that is real anymore. But it all worked out. Someone is reproducing the decals, got those on ebay too. Still looking for a set of footrest rubbers. The last pair on ebay went for $55.00. Anyone know of a cheap replacement? I'm not going for perfect here. Just drivable.

#8 ·
NICE
you know there was a time when i looked at those small Jap 2 strokes as crap.
But now i kind of find myself likeing them.
maybe cause i am old ( 50 ) and these bikes were around in my youth
or maybe it is the simple look of them.
I even sold my 1984 FJ1100 a bike i loved after i started riding my 77 BMW R75
at any rate cool old bike
nice job

84 FJ110
77 bmw R75/7 der sofa
74 Suzuki t500 soon to be on the road

#9 ·
That is effin' SWWWEEEEET!!!

Absolutely beautiful. If I knew there was someone on here restoring one, I would've alerted you to an auction that was going last week.
It was a YL-1 race ported motor with the Factory GYT Expansion Chambers (in some kind of race frame setup I hadn't heard of).

I have a chance to buy an old one here in town, but I have no room and too many projects as it is. If I do buy it, it will purely to put the engine in my RD60. I don't consider it a "true" RD in that it's a one cylinder.

I just LOVE Yamaha 2-stroke twins.

Did I saw that is a SWEET bike??? Drool!!!

#10 ·
Quicklime.....

Please don't SAW the little Yamaha. Imslow worked hard on that project!!

You want to know sweet. I raced a Yamaha TA125 last season and it was the balls.....quick little bugger.

I got a new weapon for this season. 2 stroke of course.

Champ

#12 ·
ummm, JB, I made the seat. At least the upholstery part. The glass came from somewhere, I have so many cycle parts I don't remember where shit comes from any more.

and limegirl, yeah I saw that. the GYT kit for this thing was intense. the whole kit sold on ebay a month ago for $2000.00. Magneto, carbs, exhaust, pistons, cylinders and heads. Was supposed to be a real race conversion.

Camelhairy says the whole kit sold in his day for about $250.00, but to have it in a Yetman frame must have been the balls, instead of this presses steel thing.

#14 ·
the top of the motor will look really sharp at night with that cool headlight reflector unit on there. the midnight special agility section will be a chalenge at the jersey girl giro though. can't wait to hear it wail...nice job. definitely in the spirit of the giro.
parks

#15 ·
Hey,

I really liked that bike the way it was, but I love it now!

Johnny B, I just signed up for the spring giro. Probably ride the CA160 unless I have the Monza Jr. back together. Steve D is rebuilding the motor and the frame needs swing arm bearings. I am in Mexico for a couple more weeks, so nothing is getting done on the bike.

#21 ·
Dgy,
The last time I rode my YL1 that Fritz now has (I'll never forgive Gil for selling it to him) I was running 3rd in the 200 class....and fell off naturally...The 2 bikes that were inches in front of me were BS twins. That was one fast little bike. It was also the first set of chambers I ever made. I sure did want that bike back. I'm riding 50cc class this year and I'm going to run that rotten Gil off into the weeds!

FC (no, I'm not TOO bitter!)

BTW I paid about $75 for the GYT kit not $250. I was only making about $150 a week working with Yetman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.