Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I got this CL350, but my heart has been set on building a small 2 stroke bike, thus I'm probably going to sell the CL. I've looked at some H1's and H2's but they're either crap or too expensive plus I want something smaller. What are some good 2 strokers?

This is one BA 2 stroke cafe
]
[/center

Kyle​

·
Registered
692 Posts
That thing is awesome . I'd kill myself on a Kawi 2 stroke triple .

BTW- Is that a gem headlight on there ? Maybe it is a streeter .

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
that is cody's bike from the kaw triples board. I ahev posted other pics of it around the site and also build up specs. The goal was to build the lightest kawi triple he could using an h2 (750) motor. I believe the final result was in the mid to low 300lbs range. The motor is surprisingly stock and it does have all the street amenities except maybe a horn and signals.

sadly cody no longer owns this bike.

Anyway,

kawi h1's are still affordable as long as you get a later one. kh500s (1976) are the best deal going there. YOu are not going to get an internet deal on an h1, but scour your local shops and boneyards. MY last 3 h1's cost me $300 a piece.

Other bargain two strokers are t500s, gt550s, gt750s, gt380s, ym-1s, yr1s, s3 400s (only if they are running with good piston rings), rd350s, rd400s, the list goes on.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
You mean like this one right in your neighborhood?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&item=120298787022&_trksid=p3907.m32

I'd contact the seller, doubt he really let it fly for 1500 bucks.

BTW; I have a GT550 which I love, but none of the GTs are fast as compared to the Kawasakis. If I were building a two-stroke Suzi that speed was a real consideration it'd have to be a T500. My 550 handles better than I remember the Kaws I had in high school, but that's been a long time ago.

BTW #2; Check out the dash on that RD. I think the EGT and cylinder head temp gauges are kinda bitchin'.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
If you find an RD250, I believe the 350 jugs will bolt on.

I'm looking at a GT750 right now...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
fyi,

I don't know if you realize this or not but unless you buy restored you are going to have to rebuild the motor on just about any 1970's two stroke you buy (unless you buy an S3 400 because there are no parts for the top end).

The two biggest things that go on old strokers are crank seals and rings. Additionally look at some of the specific bikes you are looking for and learn their problems (h2's and T500s eat gearboxes, h1 cdi's crap out sometimes, etc...).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Back when I could still recover from crashing fairly quickly (read: highschool) my dad and I cobbled up an alternator from some bike or another onto my yz490 for some 24hr desert races I wanted to try. Never did get to the races....no funds....but that alt and a teeny tiny battery big enough to provide the field voltage and it'd run Cibie headlight and a couple wide angle side lights real well.

I always wanted to toss something like that in a small light frame on the street....it was ridiculous!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. Ive looked at about all the bikes you guys mentioned. I want to stay away from any watercooled 2 stroke, I like aircooled bikes. I think ill keep a search up for a cheap RD.

Kyle

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
well the only watercooled 2 smoke on that list was the gt750 (the 550, 380, etc are all air cooled). It is a shame that you have written it off since it is actually the best bike on that list. It is the most reliable, the smoothest, it doesn't rattle or vibrate parts loose when you ride, and there are people who actually hold iron butt records on the things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know all those things about the water buffalo, but i really want something lighter and more nimble that thing is a brute.

Kyle

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW Unga, could you send me some info on your motor, i might be interested, but i have a feeling it will be out of my price range.

Kyle

·
Registered
93 Posts
My vote is for the rd350. Light and fast. Easy to find a used one. Lots of stock and performance parts available. But maybe I'm a little biased.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts