Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
that is cody's bike from the kaw triples board. I ahev posted other pics of it around the site and also build up specs. The goal was to build the lightest kawi triple he could using an h2 (750) motor. I believe the final result was in the mid to low 300lbs range. The motor is surprisingly stock and it does have all the street amenities except maybe a horn and signals.

sadly cody no longer owns this bike.

Anyway,

kawi h1's are still affordable as long as you get a later one. kh500s (1976) are the best deal going there. YOu are not going to get an internet deal on an h1, but scour your local shops and boneyards. MY last 3 h1's cost me $300 a piece.

Other bargain two strokers are t500s, gt550s, gt750s, gt380s, ym-1s, yr1s, s3 400s (only if they are running with good piston rings), rd350s, rd400s, the list goes on.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
fyi,

I don't know if you realize this or not but unless you buy restored you are going to have to rebuild the motor on just about any 1970's two stroke you buy (unless you buy an S3 400 because there are no parts for the top end).

The two biggest things that go on old strokers are crank seals and rings. Additionally look at some of the specific bikes you are looking for and learn their problems (h2's and T500s eat gearboxes, h1 cdi's crap out sometimes, etc...).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
well the only watercooled 2 smoke on that list was the gt750 (the 550, 380, etc are all air cooled). It is a shame that you have written it off since it is actually the best bike on that list. It is the most reliable, the smoothest, it doesn't rattle or vibrate parts loose when you ride, and there are people who actually hold iron butt records on the things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts