Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the movie. the worlds fastest indian. the story of the best motorcyclest ever. Burt Munro. if you havent seen it watch it. if you have seen it watch it again. this is for all the motorcycle lovers out there. and the speed freaks. a true story. the man of history.

motorcycle nut. anything that i can take and make it go fast.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I must disagree with you, Speedy-boy. I thought it was very disapointing, and certainly nowhere near the best movie of all time (Which everyone knows is "Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn, or Perhaps "Cyrano" starring Gerard Depardieu). Anthon Hopkins played Burt almost as a borderline retard, and there wasn't nearly enough motorcycle time, and especially not enough time spent at Bonneville. It's a dull, feel good, road trip movie. I took my kids to see it, and they were all bored outta their fucking skulls, and I found it only a little more interesting. The movie's trailer, however, is awesome; One of the best uses of music in film I can remember. Besides, "Police on my Back" is an old favorite. Another great Bonneville movie would be about the rivalry between Art Arfons and Craig Breedlove during the mid-60s... At least as long as it's not made by the same ass-fucks who made "World's Fastest Indian".

Edited by - judeyramone on Feb 10 2008 12:06:40 PM

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I think you're being a bit hard on the movie. True, it would be very boring for kids but I think the intention of the movie was to show the effort required to get to Bonneville at that time. I don't know if you have participated in land speed racing but just getting there can take as much effort as racing. And in that respect I think the movie succeeded very well. I would like to have seen more mechanical details of the mods he did to the Indian. To take a 1920 Indian that was designed to run maybe 70mph and get it to run over 180mph is staggering. Munro still holds the 1000cc streamliner fuel record at 183.586mph. I have to agree with you that Errol Flynn's Robin Hood is one of those movies that you have to sit and watch whenever its on but "The Worlds Fastest Indian" is a great movie.

Speak to me and I'm your friend. Race with me and I'm your brother.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
jude (man?)
wfi was a great movie. no, it wasn't video game action packed. and yes, some of the technical components were argueable. but i didn't mind feeling good at the movie. and my attention span found it to be paced properly (along with all who saw it with me) my (7at the time) kid loved it too. there are tons of (motorcycle) video clips out there more "exciting" but they ain't movies. i'm going to watch it again. then see "faster". then i might just have to watch sigourney weaver in "alien". that gets me excited.
-parks
ps dune didn't do it for me...too much almost naked sting.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like all movies. about history, anything with bikes. i didnt like biker boys it made motorcycle rides look bad. also did the movie torque, i love the old movie on any sunday. I have downloaded as much as i could about Burt munro. and about his 1920 indian. the movie doesnt go very much into on how he has more then just land speed records, also 1/4 mile drag, 1/2 mile drag, ect on the same bike.
munros goal was to make his bike faster every year. witch he has done. yes for kids boring, but for motorcycle riders like my self it touched my heart as this man loved his motorcycle so much he put every time of his life into making it better. thats a true rider.
also the movie goast rider. it was ok. but the bike was great. then you got the new wild hogs, again a family movie. its was ok. i ike the movies that have history behind them. im 27 years. old and i could sit and watch the history channel all day long. i taped almost every history show on motorcycles. and to this day still building up my own libray on motorcycle history. i though some of the older guys would enjoy such a movie.

motorcycle nut. anything that i can take and make it go fast.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Do you have an old movie titled "No Limit" in your collection? If you don't you should. Its a pre-war english movie about klutz who wants to race the TT on a home brewed special. Some good shots of the TT and the Island. If you can't find it let me know and I'll burn you a copy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
quote:
Do you have an old movie titled "No Limit" in your collection? If you don't you should. Its a pre-war english movie about klutz who wants to race the TT on a home brewed special. Some good shots of the TT and the Island. If you can't find it let me know and I'll burn you a copy.

Upload it some place for all of us. :)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Are you kidding me? That I can post here makes me feel like the Einstein of computer users. I used to think "burning a copy" meant pouring some gas on a disc and striking a match. You know, like how you make a cat bark. Pour some gas on it and strike a match. If someone wants to post instructions, in plain english, none of that computerspeak crap, I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i liked wfi. you gotta take a step back and realize it was made for the masses. it wasnt a gearhead techno flick. for it being a mainstream movie, i really liked it.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I didn't hate it. Re-read, friends. I said it disapointed me. It's a fantastic story, and could have been a fantastic movie, in the right hands. It was long on boring road trip, and short on exciting lsr. It ended up being, in my humble opinion, an average movie, at best. To say it's the best movie ever is just silly.

And no, I've never been to Bonneville, but I've wanted to for yrs and yrs. The Bonneville scenes from WFI reinforce that daydream, there's just too few of them. IMHO, the real Burt Munro story takes place on the salt, not on the way to it.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Actually, I have been to Bonneville. When I was 13 we stopped at the speedway during a crooss country move from CA to Detroit. My folks stopped the car at the sign and we got out and I actually touched the salt. It was early June though, and no racing going on. Still fucking cool anyway.

And sorry, I didn't mean to be a liar.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have to agree that there could have been a bit more of the LSR. But as I said I think themovie was about the man and the journey. Last year was my first trip to Bonneville. There had been a lot of rain and the salt was wet. Flooded in spots. Particularly at the end of the road where you go onto the salt. I hated it and told my wife we would NEVER be back. It was going to be one of those "things you have to do before you die" trips. The good Lord smiled on me and let me take a record. That plus that magic the salt exudes and I'm planning to go back this year. I think the movie captured that draw that Bonneville has on people. No, I think it was better than average. It was a damn good movie.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have to agree that there could have been a bit more of the LSR. But as I said I think themovie was about the man and the journey. Last year was my first trip to Bonneville. There had been a lot of rain and the salt was wet. Flooded in spots. Particularly at the end of the road where you go onto the salt. I hated it and told my wife we would NEVER be back. It was going to be one of those "things you have to do before you die" trips. The good Lord smiled on me and let me take a record. That plus that magic the salt exudes and I'm planning to go back this year. I think the movie captured that draw that Bonneville has on people. No, I think it was better than average. It was a damn good movie.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
its definitely NOT the best movie of all time. so lets jack this thread, WHAT is the best motor cycling movie of all time??? id have to say either roadside profits, or sorry, its not really a motorcycle movie, but that scene in coogans bluff when they are racing triumphs through the park is great. clint eastwood on a bonneville up and down steps, too cool. when ever that movie is on, i will watch it just to see that part.

found it posted on the web!!!
http://www.stage6.com/user/karl_v/video/2143839/coogan's-bluff-motorcycle-chase

jc

i dont know shit

Edited by - joe c on Feb 10 2008 8:10:59 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
its definitely NOT the best movie of all time. so lets jack this thread, WHAT is the best motor cycling movie of all time??? id have to say either roadside profits, or sorry, its not really a motorcycle movie, but that scene in coogans bluff when they are racing triumphs through the park is great. clint eastwood on a bonneville up and down steps, too cool. when ever that movie is on, i will watch it just to see that part.

found it posted on the web!!!
http://www.stage6.com/user/karl_v/video/2143839/coogan's-bluff-motorcycle-chase

jc

i dont know shit

Edited by - joe c on Feb 10 2008 8:10:59 PM

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Best movie/documentary? On Any Sunday.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Best movie/documentary? On Any Sunday.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
why does it have to 35 years between cool movies though? faster i always thought was just ok.

i dont know shit

1 - 20 of 44 Posts