Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i've had it with my screen printer. i asked them if they could turn around 50 shirts in 9 days, they said yes. i told them 3 times that i would pick up the 50 first thing friday morning. i show up at 10:30 friday (not first thing by anybody's standards!) and they haven't even gone to print yet. after fight with them, they finally agreed to next day air them to me at the race track. i get the shirts, and i am short 3 size smalls. i email them about them and they say it is no way their fault, that it is the customers responsibility to count everything. they have been rude with me through this whole exchange. yet when you call this place, the hold message talks about how they will do anything to make their customers happy. I guess being in my mid 20's and having small orders makes me less of a customer. there are 10 other screen printing places in town that i'm sure can do what this place is doing for me. i'm about to burn this bridge in the most professional way i know how to, but being new to business, i needed a mentor to guide me through all of this a bit. i don't want to burn myself to the ground before i even get started. below is the email i am going to send them. let me know if i need to switch anything around. thanks guys for the help

Because the shirts arrived a day later than I had originally planned for, no, I did not go through the box. I however, can count. I gave 1 small shirt to my webmaster, and I sold 1 small shirt...then when I got back to the campground, I went to load my backpack up with shirts before heading to the pits, and I couldn't find any more smalls. I figured I would wait till I got home to erase all doubt that I messed up on my part. I appreciate the quality contol on your part, but I am just telling you what I know. I have 3 customers waiting on smalls and you guys really aren't helping me look professional at this point. I find it ironic how your hold message talks about pressure free working environment and excellent customer service, yet I feel like I have been pulling teeth. I know this all started because I asked for a turn around in 9 days which you said you could do. I have promised that the incident was a one time deal and that proper time would be taken from now on, but I am still not happy with how I have been treated. If you couldn't do a turn around in 9 days, you should have told me so then so I could at least correct my press releases. I greatly appreciated you getting the shirts next day'd to me, that saved my weekend, but I don't understand why I continue to be treated like a second class citizen. Yes, I realize that I am a very young person and I also realize that I am not a big money account. I picked you all to do my work because I figured you would be the best in town. All I want is professional people to work with. Just forget the 3 small shirts and I will find a new business to work with. Invoice my bill to me and I will move on.

Sorry to have inconvienced you with my trvial little racing business,

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
well what you will learn soon

is the only way you'll be happy is to grow your own cotton, pick it, weave your own shirts, cut the screens (I'll not get into the silk worm farming), ink, yada yada yada bleh bleh bleh yada

and keep in mind that life would be great if it weren't for a large handful of people and ticks

valium anyone?

or really these guys may have the better idea

http://www.bcrevolution.ca/culling_populations.htm

http://www.infowars.com/articles/life/population_reduction_top_scientist_cull_90_percent.htm

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of business, where you depend on your vendors to deliver and they don't... As a word of advice, don't depend on just one vendor, have several that you can work with. For this last order - I would have split the order between several vendors - more work to manager - yes - but the smaller order for each vendor would have been easier for them to get the work done. In this last case, you could have had one vendor do large sizes, another vendor do medium sizes and a third vendor do all your small sizes. The more the mix, the greater the chance for a screw up. If you limit your production vendors to only one size - the less chance you would have had screw ups.

Of course - your last option is to do the screen work yourself, that should be in your long range plans.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have a question for you Ty,

why don't you do a run of 500 or more?

I think you'll find most places set up to do shirts are much better equipped to deal with that than small piece meal orders...

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
tyler,

cut this part, "Sorry to have inconvienced you with my trvial little racing business." first of all inconvenienced and trivial are spelled incorrectly, secondly, it just sounds petty. next never admit that you may have made a mistake, especially if you are sure that you haven't, "I figured I would wait till I got home to erase all doubt that I messed up on my part."

always leave the door open. they might realize that they screwed up and make amends. ask them if they have any luck making the ups driver wait for them when they go through a box of 50 shirts and receive the size and color run? tell them that you are considering going elsewhere, but you want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

my recommendation.....scrap the entire email that you have drafted as you wrote it while angry. now that you have taken a few breaths and are more composed, right down a few bullet points explaining your dissatisfaction with their previous service. remember, keep it short and sweet. leave it up to them to correct the mistakes. if they don't, take your business elsewhere, but still don't burn the bridge. life is too short to fool with amateurs...and you'll never know when you may meet up again.

good luck,

texy

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the place i am dealing with now is huge. they do the work for tony stewart and clint bowyers fan clubs. i mean, big, they can do 60 shirts an hour. they are so big i guess they don't like orders of 50. their minimum order is 24. i'm not doing a run of 500 because i can't sell 500. i couldnt sell 50 this weekend. i also can't afford 500 shirts...i could barely do the 50. you have to remember, my timing sucks. my webmaster is in the top 20 in points and has 3 rounds to get better...so he's not entirely focused on what my website looks like. my online store isnt up, so the only sales i am getting is from going to the races with my wares. so im going to go with a small company that will actually care if i come back or not. i just sent the preliminary stuff to my artist for my next hoodie...hopefully i have some luck selling it. i have 27 shirts sitting at the house ranging from medium to 2xl...any takers? $23 shipped to your door.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Tyler,
Tex is right. You don't need to burn this bridge yet. The time may come, but it isn't now. If their minimum order is 24, then they should have no issues with an order twice the size of their minimum. Remember, business is business so give them the chance to make it right. If they won't then seek another supplier. The bottom line is they don't really care about any issues that yo have to deal with as far as selling your product goes, because they are a big business compared to you. So either they can supply your needs in a reasonable fashion, or they can not. If they can, keep doing business and if they can't then move on to another supplier because in their business scheme you are too small to really matter.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the guys I know who do shirt pulls in their garage don't want to be bothered with as few as 50 all the same size

suck it up, sell some plasma, roll bigger

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I don't know much about making t-shirts, but that email isn't professional. I agree with Tex. Scrap it. Go down there and meet with the manager. State the facts. No one can argue with facts. Don't get emotional. Try to figure out a way that you can both win in the future. If that doesn't work, then just stop doing business with them. The email won't do anything but make you feel better for a little while.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are all right. thanks. I scrapped the letter and just wrote "Don't worry about the 3 shirts, i'll just chock it up as a loss. Please mail me my invoice."

I am done with these jerks. They have been screwing with me since april. Their artist sucks, no returned calls, so i hired my own. then i get the files sent to them, and they promise me they will be done on time...and they aren't. they even tried to get me to pay for next day shipping when it was their goof! I have heard lately that the guy who started the place locally just sold it out, and since the sale, things have been down hill. figures. since i'm a little guy, i'll deal with the little guys. thanks for the advice guys, cooler heads always prevail and maybe i'll learn that soon. hopefully i'll sell the rest of these at indy. i have two more designs almost finished up now and the hoody is being worked on right now. things will be ok i hope, but i'm running just a shade in the red till these shirts dissappear.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
well buttercup, toughen up and stop cackling about this crap on the net

makes your would be adoptive pappy not want to stroke you a check or hook you up with a few other strokes of genius

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crap....didn't know i was up for adoption hack! i'll be better behaved from now on...I PROMISE! thanks again for all ya'lls advice!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Who owns the artwork on your shirts? Don't assume you can change shops and take the work the first shop has done with.

Where I'm at any local racer that's worth a shit has their own shirts. Orders of 5-10 dozen are common. Fifty is not an unreasonable quantity, but think eonomy of scale. And pre-sell, the first shirts I did when I raced got rid of 60 shirts in a few hours. Had my money back before the check to the screen shop cleared.

You're gonna be in Indy anyhoo? http://www.arizonasportshirts.com/index.php There is nothing you want done they are not capable of. Haven't talked to the guy for probably ten years, but one of their artists used to be a buddy of mine.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Tyler,
Coming into this late, but FWIW;

The tone of your email is pissy. It's business, thus performance, keep it simple. Tex hits most points.

To me business is no different then any other relationship- it has to work for both parties.
You'll find a vendor that can perform to your expectations.

But business is tough. Trust me, you'll find out what you're made of (and I'm not always convinced I'm up to the task).

So chalk it up, no shortage of people who will fuck you. Own your vision. Own your art work, it's your business's ultimate capitol. And push ahead, hard.

Cheers,
leo

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hack told me to stop cackling about this on the net. being up for adoption and all...i'll chill. just hit the little email function and drop me a line and i can explain further on what i'm up to. but thanks to all for your advice, that first email, had i sent it, would have really made me look like nothing more than a punk kid, which i'm trying like hell to get away from (and no i won't quit wearing black socks!)

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
black socks make you look like a septuagenarian from florida......you don't wear them with sandals, right?

good luck!

texy

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh no no, you can't wear socks with sandals, we all know that! my black socks are safely tucked into my vans sneakers!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Don't be surprized if you have more problems with the small shops than the large. I am in the photo business, and for many years used a small, local lab--well it actually hurt my business since they could not offer the same products and services as the "big boys". I now use a medium lab that specializes in the type of work I do, and also one other that is one of the top 5 largest in the country. Both lab bends over backwards for customer service, but,like your vendor, sometimes they make a mistake.

Today I spent 2 hours faxing and cutting up little camera cards since someone at the lab screwed up and didn't get me 3000 cards that I had to have TODAY. I am not leaving them for that, but they know my problem and TOGETHER we came to a solution.

OH, and yes, you can wear socks with sandals, as long as you also wear baggy shorts and a Hawiian shirt. How do I know this?? Don't ask.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

oh no no, you can't wear socks with sandals, we all know that! my black socks are safely tucked into my vans sneakers!
...never trust a man who wears open toed shoes! or clogs!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I love my clogs, even with black socks & shorts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts