Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I am pretty new to the forum and after lurking around for a while I have decided to build a cafe style bike of my own. Comments and criticism are encouraged, I have spent a lot of time under the hoods of cars but am still finding my way around bikes so your input would be great.
So here we go:
I found a 1970 Honda CL350 pretty cheap on Craigslist.
When I bought it it didn't run and was pretty rough but the engine showed potential and the frame was clean.
It looks like it was laid down pretty hard but nothing I intend on keeping was damaged.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I pulled the tank and seat so I could get to the electronics and carbs. I intend on deleting the starter so I bought a new small 12V 8AH battery that will tuck under a cafe style tail. After a heavy dose of ether and an oil change the engine started and actually ran pretty well. I threw the tank and seat back on and went for a test drive. The brakes are junk and the carbs need a rebuild but other than that the bike actually seems to be in great mechanical shape. I will fix the minor issues the bike has as I rebuild it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the tank off of a 1960's Wards/Benelli 125 in a junk yard.
I think it fits the vintage cafe look a lot better than the stock tank.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The frame on the Honda is to wide for the tank so I cut off the bottom of the Honda tank and used it to replace the bottom of the Benelli tank. It was a lot of work but now the Benelli tank fits on the Honda like it's stock.

Here you can see how much wider the cutout in the Honda tank is compared to the Benelli.

I cut out the bottom of the Honda tank and cleaned it up with a wire wheel.

Then I cut out the bottom of the Benelli tank and welded in the bottom of the Honda tank.
While I was welding on the tank I replaced the tall crude looking Benelli filler with the more flush Honda filler.

Here you can really see the diffrence in the two tank bottoms. Since the Benelli tank is so much longer than the Honda tank I had to make a filler piece to extend the tunnel. It needs a little bondo to clean up the seams but things are pretty close as they are. After I finished welding I filled up the bathtub and did a leak test. After a couple trips between the tub and the welder I stopped all of the leaks. I will still probably coat the inside of the tank with some sealer just to be safe. Sorry for the weird size, for some reason this photo turned out smaller than it should have.

Since I did not have the bike with me I waited to weld in a bung for the petcock, I will find a good place for it once I have tested the tank on the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fitted the tank onto the frame, it fits really well and I think it looks the part too!
I also started stripping the bike down, I am going to take it down to a bare frame then build it up again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by spacmanspif300

you should throw out that ugly exhaust.
As luck would have it both flanges were fubar on that exhaust so never fear it has been junked. I think I will go with CB pipes and upturned mufflers.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You know, some people actually prefer scrambler pipes. Instead of scrapping them, you should post them in the for sale and send them cheaply on to some deserving soul.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by buckandaquarter

You know, some people actually prefer scrambler pipes. Instead of scrapping them, you should post them in the for sale and send them cheaply on to some deserving soul.
If they were salvageable I would be glad to sell them (or just give them away) but trust me they are wasted. Besides the flanges being gone they also have some pretty big dents and holes, I really don't know how the exhaust got so shot, the rest of the bike actually looks pretty clean. If someone wants to pick them up they can have them but they are not worth shipping.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Hi-pipes and Scrambler pipes RULE![8D]

It's just the ugly ass,boxy muffler that is on that particular model. Some year Honda Scrambler mufflers(w/o the cover) look better than others. Still the pipes are cool and you can fit shorty cone tip or cocktail shaker mufflers for a better look.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
quote:Originally posted by spacmanspif300

you should throw out that ugly exhaust.

quote:Originally posted by plymouth37

If they were salvageable I would be glad to sell them (or just give them away) but trust me they are wasted. Besides the flanges being gone they also have some pretty big dents and holes, I really don't know how the exhaust got so shot, the rest of the bike actually looks pretty clean. If someone wants to pick them up they can have them but they are not worth shipping.
i was just attempting a tried and true method for tricking you into giving them to me. oh well.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts