Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do I even have to say it's not mine? Would someone please rescue this thing?! The only known CYB350 in North America is up on ebay. The auction is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...012QQitemZ220240704649QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and the story of the bike, poached from the sellers site, is here:

"Current Inventory
1968 Honda CYB350MotoeXotica is proud to offer this very rare Collector Bike. The 1968 Honda CYB 350 RSC is a racing Bike from the Sixty’s. This bike is in very good condition and is ready to be added to your existing collection or rider. This bike was built over a period of ten years. It was made of nothing but NOS CYB 350 parts. The only variation being the crank was built to copy the original lightened 350 crank. This is the sum total of years of letter writing, emailing and phone calling. It is probably the ONLY CYB 350 in the US with ALL of the kit parts as sold by Honda in the 1960s.

Honda in its early days began a program making available to the public “hot” parts to race their street bikes. I was quite possible to buy enough to build a road racer kit over the counter in the early 1960s. These were known then as CYB parts. Before Honda developed the HRC for racing products they also had a Racing Service Center (RSC). They were in charge of aftermarket racing parts for Honda. Honda in the 1967 and early 1968, built approximately 16 RSC Honda 350s. There were designed around Honda’s new 350 motor. Suddenly in 1968 Honda decided to “get out” of racing. They had dominated racing in the previous years. Their six cylinder racers had become the epitome of GP bikes. Honda had always known that it was best to quit while you were ahead. At the same time RSC had been developing a kit to emulate the RSC 350s. At the Tokyo Show in 1968, the bike was introduced. Neatly laid out before the bike, was all of the available parts to convert your CB350 into a CYB 350. Because Honda was exiting the racing at this time, few kits were ever seen.

The only mention of one in the States was by Alan Girdler who allowed how Honda had shipped over a motor to be installed in a regular frame. It was extremely fast. They decided the project was not feasible due to the narrow demand. It seems that the CB350 motor was outlawed from racing in Europe because it would beat both the Nortons and BSAs. Girdler was able to place 5th in the 350 GP class at Daytona one year on one. The front silver fender has been repainted and it looks nice. There is a ding in the front. The red gas tank is in excellent condition. And the black cloth seat is nice and shows some wear. The faring is in good condition with no brakes or cracks. The spoke wheels look great and are wrapped with a 3.00-18 in the front and a 3.50-18 in the rear. Both tires have lots of tread life left. There is no odometer, only a speedometer.

The Engine is a four stroke twin, 180 degree firing SOHC with two valves per cylinder. The transmission is a five speed, constant mesh. The power band is 8,000 to 11,500 RPM with a safety zone of 1,500 RPM extra. The ignition is a energy transfer Magneto with two sets of points, one spark plug(12mm) per cylinder, B12EN NGK, timing, 45 BTDC. The carburetion is Two Keihin 31mm smoothbore, dual cable operated. The power at RPM is 45 BHP at 11,500 RPM. The max speed is 137 MPH. The total weight is 250 without the faring. Total displacement is 343.1 CC. Included with the bike is a list of the sports kit parts, the story of the CYB 350, and an article about the bike. The VIN is CB350E1056522 and it is being sold on a Bill of Sale only. GET OUT AND RIDE! "

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Geeto67,

Where would you see differences, from the outside, between a CYB motor and a stock one? I thought the only difference would be on the inside. Just curious.

Craig

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by craig641

Geeto67,

Where would you see differences, from the outside, between a CYB motor and a stock one? I thought the only difference would be on the inside. Just curious.

Craig
IIRC other CYB parts would include DOHC heads and dry clutches (but not every one). The thing that bothers me about this is that it is not specific about what CYB parts are actually in the engine? Pistons? Head?

Plus he starts insuinating that this is the motor used by Allen Girdler and then just drops the story off...fishy....

the bike looks like it belongs to Ellis Holman, and there are more specs on it here:
http://home.comcast.net/~eholman/index.html

I am not doubting that the rest of the bike may be authentic and I don't really know about 350s enough to see what is different from a standard one in the specs....I am just being skeptical because the info is vague - talks a big game about how fast it is and performance, yadda yadda...but I am not hearing any real details.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i think its obviously a guy who has no real clue what it is. the cyb kitted 350s ive seen were sohc. the motor was pretty much the same from the outside. im pretty sure ellis sold that bike not too long ago. its a nice bike. would kisk ass in just about any class it was run in. but not as special as what its being made out to be. in my opinion.

jc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
But wasn't Ellis' bike a homemade CYB replica? And one that did use CYB parts. And don't get me wrong because he did a VERY nice job but what makes any CB350 that has CYB kit parts not a CYB motorcycle? I can't be convinced that there is only 1. The story on the ebay page seems to allude to 16 being built. I've read elsewhere that only a couple were built and all destroyed by the factory. I think it's all urban myth.

There are CYB parts out there. But I'm not sure that CYB parts of 1968 vintage are anything better than you could build today from Ross Pistons and megacycle cam shafts. And some high quality port work. This 45hp numbers are from an era where the factories were pretty optimistic with hp numbers.

Craig

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
considering honda sold the cyb parts individually or as a kit, any stock cb350 with cyb parts is a cyb bike....but is it a cyb factory bike like the auction alludes to? um...well....no

The thing that makes this bike unique is the bodywork since the cyb kits were largely mechanical I have a hard time beliving honda sold the body kits as well...but then again they did it with the 970 cb750 kits so who knows?

I think at this point I have officially crossed over into talking out of my ass

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
short reply. leaving work.
cyb was a factory kit, only a few were made. even less survive. only 1 known to be in USA by those inclined to know. 2 in england. Yes the kit had tank, seat, fairing too. not that it is any better than what one could do with the parts available, just what the factory developed for that bike in '68. It only took folks 30 years to engineer the bike back to that level. (as in 250 lbs!:D) So if you ever wondered what sochiro and the gang would do to one, well there you go. Yosh did a kit too. If one could get their hands on the stuff it would be interesting to compare it to a racing cb350 of today.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
There's a guy that races his CB350 with AHRMA that's got the Yoshimura parts in his motor. Crank and pistons. I've held the pistons in my hand, and they're quite a bit shorter than the racing pistons on the market today. There's a picture of them, I think, on the Hanson Honda web page.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i can get to under 250 lbs with a rear tire change and going with a shitty front brake too.

hehe

roskos right, they did come with the tank and seat. tacho too. id like to know what kind of motor parts came with it. todays technology is cheaper to buy. 40 years ago, not so much. you had to have the deep pockets then to get a factory race prepped bike. if it was even possible. ive read a bunch on the cyb stuff. years ago. but ive given up on finding really any of it. so ive pretty much forgotten what any of it was. yeah, id be cool to have a cyb tank, but it would just sit in my house, or shop. looking nice. with no real meaning to 99% of the population. so whats the point?

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
ps, i was running that same steering damper n my bike til 06.

they suck. totally useless. but looks the part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to say hello to all of you first off. My name is Dan, I am the General Manager here at Motoexotica. We tried to include all the information that we could in the auction for this Honda.

We purchased the motorcycle out of an auction in January. What we said in the auction is just about all we know about the history on the bike. If you all have more info on it, please let me know so I can better inform the new buyer and add it to the next auction that we run on Ebay.

Thank you all for looking and be sure to check out our website!

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts