Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beth and "Mr. Beth" are toying with the idea of doing this one.
"The Mongol Rally is a charity event pitting comically unsuitable sub
1-litre cars against some of the worst terrain on the planet."

London to Mongolia; 1 liter displacement or less (and that's cars, not
motorbikes) Here's the website...

http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/index.php?page=overview

Now, check out the motorbike rules:"If you want to go on a motorbike (ideally a scooter) they are limited to under 125cc. We're an amicable bunch though, so if you're desperate to use something bigger you can be accommodated, but you will be fined £100 for every 0.1 litre above the limit, payable straight to the charities."

My suggestion was to run Trail 90's

Well, since there is no way in hell I can do this with a brand new mini-rosko running around I figure I'll live vicariously through them! If they do it I'll chip in a few bucks from NYCvinMoto. How about caferacer.net folks pass the hat also?

...or send a team?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
London to mongolia on Trail 90's? I'm in. God knows I could use a vacation. Seriously, instead of endless drivel about Carpy this and Carpy that, and did Cafe Racers ever have 1/4 fairings
(which in my childhood they most certainly did); could caferacer.net embrace its global conscienceness and have fun with this, if only vicariously?

Cheers- Leo

P.S.-But, just to be clear. If there happens to be a charity within the charity, and caferacer.net sponsors a team and needs someone to do a stint on the trail 90, I'm in. Hemorrhoids and all.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Hey Leo,

If you want to do some small bike riding, but on a slightly less grand scale, check out the USCRA spring motogiro. Its just a couple hours away from you in the upper Catskills of NY. Two days of small displacement bikes over beautiful backroads. Great bikes, great camaraderi, great fun!

Quite a few guys on here do the event.

Jack

·
Registered
266 Posts
That would be really cool to do

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
227 Posts
quote:
Beth and "Mr. Beth" are toying with the idea of doing this one.
"The Mongol Rally is a charity event pitting comically unsuitable sub
1-litre cars against some of the worst terrain on the planet."
London to Mongolia; 1 liter displacement or less (and that's cars, not
motorbikes) Here's the website...
We're looking for a cheap CT90 now to build up a prototype then "test" it on some long rides on rough terrain. Cross country would be a good test but we don't have the time off. These motors are all over Asia so if necessary; getting replacement parts on the way shouldn't be impossible.
We have a friend who rode is old Indian around the world inlcluding across Siberia, a few years ago; 5 mos.
Check out his pix for some inspiration:
http://www.guzzidoug.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Any leads on CT90's in the northeast; please let me know!

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
569 Posts
Beth,
I bought my ct90 at mid-ohio for $550 running, there are lots of them there..been replacing rusty parts as I find them...wouldn't be my first choice to do 9,000 miles on..not a good street bike and a both feet down kinda dirt bike..that said, it's probably is very relibable. Great pit bike....and she does have a nice rack on'her..;))

d.

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

Edited by - dch on Feb 06 2008 07:21:08 AM

·
Registered
569 Posts
ah... and you might ask what would be my choice...9,000 miles under 1000cc - easy, 1968 SAAB 96, 750cc 3 cyl 2-stroke, 35 mpg, flat bottom, big 15" VW type wheels, lots of ground clearance, easy to work on, 2 people can pull the engine and change the clutch in an hour with only had tools, my best was 45 min..but that was with a lift and air tools...great car. was a great rally car in it's day. and the 850 with the rally kit, 3 carbs, tuned exhaust and trick gearbox...weeeeeeeeee.

d.

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can't do your Saab Dale. Only shit-box cars are allowed 1 litre or less; and the "motorcycles" have to be under 125cc. one guy did it on a CM91 and this year he's back with a 50; WITH his girlfriend. So we figure a CT90 would be reliable and can handle the mud, streams, etc.

How about a Messerschmitt 3 wheeler? (spelling?)or for a real adventure; something ITALIAN
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Messerschmitt_Kabinenroller.jpg

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

1 - 9 of 9 Posts