Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which years had major issues? I remember hearing about engine seizures and transmission woes.

Are they all sorted now? Which years are good/bad?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am sure leo will correct me on this:

Which new enfields are you talking about? The RE bullet was in continious production from 1957 until about 2005 when they redesigned the engine to meet new emissions standards.

The Pre AVL engines are called Iron Barrel engines because of, you guessed it, the iron cylinder. These bikes are fragile, tempremental, and everything you expect in 1957s british technology with 2/3s the quality. These are the bikes where break in is super important lest you destroy the engine later on. At some point they switched to 5 speeds from the old 4 speed.

The AVLs are also verm much like the previous iron barrel bikes in that break in is important, but are a much improved engine.

The UCE bikes came to this country last year (2009) as its first year. The early production bikes had a gear box issue but otherwise so far not that many issues have come up.

If I were in the market for a RE, I would buy either an AVL aluminum barrel bike, or a new C5, 2010. I would buy the New 2010 C5 because it comes with a warranty, I don't have to touch it, and it is a fun bike to ride.

If I bought an AVL I would put the motor to the side and find some other single or para-twin motor to shove in the frame, most likely an XS650 or an SR500 mill. Maybe even a cb450 motor as I seem to have an abundance of them right now.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am sure leo will correct me on this:

Which new enfields are you talking about? The RE bullet was in continious production from 1957 until about 2005 when they redesigned the engine to meet new emissions standards.

The Pre AVL engines are called Iron Barrel engines because of, you guessed it, the iron cylinder. These bikes are fragile, tempremental, and everything you expect in 1957s british technology with 2/3s the quality. These are the bikes where break in is super important lest you destroy the engine later on. At some point they switched to 5 speeds from the old 4 speed.

The AVLs are also verm much like the previous iron barrel bikes in that break in is important, but are a much improved engine.

The UCE bikes came to this country last year (2009) as its first year. The early production bikes had a gear box issue but otherwise so far not that many issues have come up.

If I were in the market for a RE, I would buy either an AVL aluminum barrel bike, or a new C5, 2010. I would buy the New 2010 C5 because it comes with a warranty, I don't have to touch it, and it is a fun bike to ride.

If I bought an AVL I would put the motor to the side and find some other single or para-twin motor to shove in the frame, most likely an XS650 or an SR500 mill. Maybe even a cb450 motor as I seem to have an abundance of them right now.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking about those made after the 2005 redesign, I guess.

It seems the new guy with the EFI and integrated transmission is the way to go. Other than being pushrod, the engine seems surprisingly modernized.

It looks they're on the floor, now.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was talking about those made after the 2005 redesign, I guess.

It seems the new guy with the EFI and integrated transmission is the way to go. Other than being pushrod, the engine seems surprisingly modernized.

It looks they're on the floor, now.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Had a demo for a day, actually liked it a surprising amount. Fun bike, did everything right. The lesson I am learning with my ducati is that I own old bikes to work on them, and I don't want to be spinning wrenches and making payments on the same vehicle, otherwise I would get a classic car finance deal.

The one thing I don't like about the new UCE is that it is a UCE. Love the FI, love the weight reduction, but hate the fact that if there is a problem with the tranny, the whole shebang has to come apart, even if the engine runs great. That is the one thing I will give harley credit for - even in their unitized sporty engine the tranny for years dropped out as a cartridge which made it easy to service.

Now that they switched the military to the C5, The G5 is starting to grow on me. I am still upset that the G5 is the only one with a kickstart, but hey, for the money I don't think you can beat it for a round towner.

RE has been really good about warranty issues, and even things that could be user error are being taken very seriously.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Had a demo for a day, actually liked it a surprising amount. Fun bike, did everything right. The lesson I am learning with my ducati is that I own old bikes to work on them, and I don't want to be spinning wrenches and making payments on the same vehicle, otherwise I would get a classic car finance deal.

The one thing I don't like about the new UCE is that it is a UCE. Love the FI, love the weight reduction, but hate the fact that if there is a problem with the tranny, the whole shebang has to come apart, even if the engine runs great. That is the one thing I will give harley credit for - even in their unitized sporty engine the tranny for years dropped out as a cartridge which made it easy to service.

Now that they switched the military to the C5, The G5 is starting to grow on me. I am still upset that the G5 is the only one with a kickstart, but hey, for the money I don't think you can beat it for a round towner.

RE has been really good about warranty issues, and even things that could be user error are being taken very seriously.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
quote:I am sure leo will correct me on this:
Don't be so defensive Geet. So far so good. More or less.

I like all three generation bikes for different reasons, but having said that, yes, the iron barrel was fragile. The AVL was really quite a step forward overall, but not as pretty as pretty a motor.

The UCE, although not perfect, is a quantum leap forward (for RE). And a nice answer for a lot of folks. Not the least of which is:

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13119

The C-5 is for me, a bit of a conundrum. Striking? Yes. Pretty? Yes. But like some beautiful, but vapid women, doesn't keep you coming back for a second, third, forth.... look.

So the G-5 is considered the bit of an ugly duckling then.

But, the lack of a kicker, as pointed out, is, for me an issue with the C-5. So the G-5. The G-5 is the girl that kept you going back for a second look, and kept you wondering.

Though not a hugh fan of it stock, although I have some customers who are, the G-5, I think has a lot of flexibility and potential.

My G-5. A work in process. But I think a handsome motorbike; fun to ride, and 70 MPG.

Having said all that:
Relate to an iron barrel as you would any 50's Brit bike with as Geet says, 2/3'rds the quality.

The AVL; a pretty livable answer.

The UCE, again, though not perfect, a massive leap. And RE is hugely committed to making it work in this market. (The First World). Great product support, commitment, and enthusiasm.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
quote:I am sure leo will correct me on this:
Don't be so defensive Geet. So far so good. More or less.

I like all three generation bikes for different reasons, but having said that, yes, the iron barrel was fragile. The AVL was really quite a step forward overall, but not as pretty as pretty a motor.

The UCE, although not perfect, is a quantum leap forward (for RE). And a nice answer for a lot of folks. Not the least of which is:

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13119

The C-5 is for me, a bit of a conundrum. Striking? Yes. Pretty? Yes. But like some beautiful, but vapid women, doesn't keep you coming back for a second, third, forth.... look.

So the G-5 is considered the bit of an ugly duckling then.

But, the lack of a kicker, as pointed out, is, for me an issue with the C-5. So the G-5. The G-5 is the girl that kept you going back for a second look, and kept you wondering.

Though not a hugh fan of it stock, although I have some customers who are, the G-5, I think has a lot of flexibility and potential.

My G-5. A work in process. But I think a handsome motorbike; fun to ride, and 70 MPG.

Having said all that:
Relate to an iron barrel as you would any 50's Brit bike with as Geet says, 2/3'rds the quality.

The AVL; a pretty livable answer.

The UCE, again, though not perfect, a massive leap. And RE is hugely committed to making it work in this market. (The First World). Great product support, commitment, and enthusiasm.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Leo, you can't tell me that teal color is aimed at heterosexual men as its target market. The bike is great, the color is ghey.

the military model needed to be on a C5, just didn'y look right on the G5. The new battle green is a flat which helps a lot more.

which is better:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Leo, you can't tell me that teal color is aimed at heterosexual men as its target market. The bike is great, the color is ghey.

the military model needed to be on a C5, just didn'y look right on the G5. The new battle green is a flat which helps a lot more.

which is better:

·
Registered
692 Posts
The G5 Deluxe is the Hottie . Chrome tank , still hand painted stripes , can do reasonable speeds RELIABLY , etc . Just might be my next bike when I sell my CB .

And BTW Leo : Your post : " The G-5 is the girl that kept you going back for a second look, and kept you wondering."

In deed it did . 4 times that day I went back to be exact .:D

·
Registered
692 Posts
The G5 Deluxe is the Hottie . Chrome tank , still hand painted stripes , can do reasonable speeds RELIABLY , etc . Just might be my next bike when I sell my CB .

And BTW Leo : Your post : " The G-5 is the girl that kept you going back for a second look, and kept you wondering."

In deed it did . 4 times that day I went back to be exact .:D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I was never a fan so much of the red, too tomato-ie for me. But a black G-5 deluxe, done up with some nice retro touches? That'd be cool.

Geet, by the teal bike I assume you mean that demo bike you rode. I dunno, I think it worked with the argyle. Maybe just me.

I was never a huge fan of the Military (Although perfect for the City. Go ahead, knock it over. Like I give a fuck.), so take it FWIW. But I prefer the G-5 Military platform over the C-5. Still too damn pretty. It's like Cindy Crawford in camo.

Maybe it just needs some ammo cans strapped on, and a few good battle scars.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I was never a fan so much of the red, too tomato-ie for me. But a black G-5 deluxe, done up with some nice retro touches? That'd be cool.

Geet, by the teal bike I assume you mean that demo bike you rode. I dunno, I think it worked with the argyle. Maybe just me.

I was never a huge fan of the Military (Although perfect for the City. Go ahead, knock it over. Like I give a fuck.), so take it FWIW. But I prefer the G-5 Military platform over the C-5. Still too damn pretty. It's like Cindy Crawford in camo.

Maybe it just needs some ammo cans strapped on, and a few good battle scars.

Cheers

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you ever read any of the old james bond books (not movies - books) they have these great images of dispatch riders running through english country side on BSA M20s. The idea of riding a proper military green english single with purpose has always stuck with me.

it is why people still buy aston martins, and why the military bike is the best seller of the New enfields. People like to pretend.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you ever read any of the old james bond books (not movies - books) they have these great images of dispatch riders running through english country side on BSA M20s. The idea of riding a proper military green english single with purpose has always stuck with me.

it is why people still buy aston martins, and why the military bike is the best seller of the New enfields. People like to pretend.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
just in case anybody forgot what a military M20 looked like:

as cool as riding a sidevalve single in NYC would seem, they don't keep up with modern traffic, are heinously expensive for what they are, and really are meant to be a solo bike.

With an enfield, in green you keep up with traffic, you can get parts (mostly), and it is easy to ride. Plus it won't piss oil on your leg as you ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts