It was the worst it could have been...but luckily the fix went smoothly. Mary and I had the job done in about four hours and the bike went out and ran successfully. No leaks and nothing came apart. I don't feel quite as bad about it now since I discovered the leak was definately my fault...picked up the wrong head cover and installed it....one with old gasket material still on it. Still had to tear it down and fix the stud but the helicoil went well and everything torqued down nice.
To top it off, during the teardown I noticed that the copper head gasket sealed with hylomar was about two laps from competely blowing...luckily I included a Cometic CFM-20 head gasket in the spares kit and took care of that problem too.
I showed it to Frank C.....he says.."You can't use hylomar on a head gasket!".... I said Frank...I asked you about five times and you told me it was good for everything. For future reference....DON'T use it, it's too soft for almost all applications I've tried...only a matter of time before the smallest pressure pushes the stuff out.
Mary is becoming a good wrench...had the bike stripped down and ready to take the engine out in no time.