Cafe Racer Forum banner

801 - 820 of 1031 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Does it have 2 identical sets of points and condensers? For the small amount of work that would be involved I would switch them and see if the problem goes to the other cylinders.

... or whatever the martek thing is

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Coils......
Or float height.....

You know if the floats in gas?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #806
I was futzing with it last night and I think It might be fuel related. I don't run a filter in the tank and maybe there is something restricting fuel flow. will take petcock off tonight and see.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Still vote floats.
Not just the height....that they are actually floating correctly.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #808
Still vote floats.
Not just the height....that they are actually floating correctly.
I checked that they are floating when I re-assembled the carbs. They are the solid rubber kind, not the brass hollow kind. At least with the #1 carb I think there is gunk holding the float needle valve open and also possibly clogging the drain. I let it overflow yesterday to see where it was leaking from and it was coming out the bowl gasket area, not the bottom drain. those bowl gaskets are new so.....something's up.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Rubber type fail to float correctly too. Did you check they float in fuel?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #810
Rubber type fail to float correctly too. Did you check they float in fuel?
yes I checked the float in fuel. And it was several months back so it's possible that it went bad recently (the leaking didn't start until a week ago).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #811 (Edited)
so following Jaguar's suggestion I decided to check out the fuel delivery over the weekend. I dropped the #1 float bowl and found......nothing. no fuel, no sediment, nothing. So I opened the petcock with the bowl off and saw this:

yeah you see that little bead of fuel dripping off the float? that's the rate of fuel flow. So rather than ripping the carbs off I decided to test the other end and then work my way to the middle. Well this is the flow out of the petcock on full open reserve:

That ain't exactly a flood of fuel. So i remove the petcock and see this:

Nothing, right? well...not exactly. Since the filter sock and straw are missing I decided to take it apart (thankfully this design has no gaskets) and found inside the valve itself some collected sediment that was blocking the passages. Blew it out with some compressed air, and reinstalled. now:

fuel is flowing. So I start it up and it has a miss. Cylinders 1,3,&4 are getting hot but cylinder #2 is ice cold. Pull the plug, fuel fowled and not firing. Wire wheel it, check it, and reinstall. Bike fires up perfectly and runs smoothly. When cold it is still running rich so it still needs some tuning but bike is running much smoother right now.

now the bad news, while road testing it I had to panic stop for a deer and it popped both fork seals. FML.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
That will be $37.59 please

Reactions: woodsman

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Dammit man, haha.
If you were a 17 year old asking for advice, I'd tell you to go get a newer bike lol.
Old stuff does have an appeal that you can't deny, whether it is dependable or not, it maintains coolness that the cookie cutter crotch rocket can't hold a candle to...

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Really didn't even use a tray to catch the fuel?

Hack

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #818
Dammit man, haha.
If you were a 17 year old asking for advice, I'd tell you to go get a newer bike lol.
Old stuff does have an appeal that you can't deny, whether it is dependable or not, it maintains coolness that the cookie cutter crotch rocket can't hold a candle to...
I am not going to lie, that pipe sounds like an entire 1960's Grand Prix race (the whole field) when it's at full chatter, popping and crackling and all. It's actually louder and more offensive than my ducati which I didn't think was possible since the duc has completely straight through pipes (no baffle). If it were a keeper I would take the winter and sort everything out perfect but as it stands the push is on to sell more stuff. It needs that kind of riding and fetteling only a loving owner can provide.

Depends on what pickle it held, Gherkins or Beetroot is fine, eggs are not.
who really eats pickled eggs? nobody that's who. Gherkins.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Love Gherkins, always have one with Rock Eel, and chips.

Reactions: Andyshep

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
If I get some time after work this week I might try to shoot some video of the bike riding. I have that $20 chinese go pro knock off I want to use anyway.

801 - 820 of 1031 Posts