Cafe Racer Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1031 Posts

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
Then why are you still pushing the coil as the issue when it only involves one cylinder. I imagine it's only because you like dumping on Geeto.:D
Nope, I actually do think it is the coil.
It is acting up when rev'ed.

Could be a crack, or a short or a bad wire, or connection.
Something is sparking before the plug.

Fairly hard think to track down.
Cheaper/easier to replace the parts.

Right now "normal" is workin against our friend.
Also assuming that swapping to those other coils proved anything is silly.

Swap the coils on the bike side to side.
See what happens.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
Then why are you still pushing the coil as the issue when it only involves one cylinder. I imagine it's only because you like dumping on Geeto.:D
They are his coils. I got them from him. ;)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
wire is not arc-ing to ground, at least not that I can see.

I cleaned all the crap off that coil jag and there were no crack in it. At least not any that are visible on the outside. If there is an internal crack I would never know....but usually the problem of a crack in a coil is from moisture getting in the external crack and shorting it out.

It feels like a wire or a plug issue.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The kind of coil failures I've experienced fit the description I've heard from some old mechanics of a break in the actual wire of the coil, that makes contact until it expands from heat, then takes a shit, then works fine again once cooled down.
A way to test it is to heat it up then perform the same continuity tests.
It could still be the pickup for the electronic iggy as well. I've had early jeeps that I swapped from the ford/AMC ignition to GM HEI distributors because I'd get a miss above a certain rpm from some fuckup or another. Either way, the HEI fixed it

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I know you already sorta verified fuel, but take the bowl off and shoot some carb cleaner with red straw up thru the main jet. While you're there, make sure that they fuel starts to pour in when you turn the petcock back on but the bowl off. What do you have to lose? The wife already thinks you smell like crap and isn't coming near you.
I had a similar issue on my bike earlier this summer. WOuld idle fine but after riding i couldn't get passed 1/4 throttle. Found a cold cylinder and found she wasn't getting fuel anywhere besides the slow jet.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
I am going to buy another set of plugs tonight and try them. I think I have wire wheeled these fouled plugs at least a dozen times.

I know you already sorta verified fuel, but take the bowl off and shoot some carb cleaner with red straw up thru the main jet. While you're there, make sure that they fuel starts to pour in when you turn the petcock back on but the bowl off. What do you have to lose? The wife already thinks you smell like crap and isn't coming near you.
I had a similar issue on my bike earlier this summer. WOuld idle fine but after riding i couldn't get passed 1/4 throttle. Found a cold cylinder and found she wasn't getting fuel anywhere besides the slow jet.
good idea.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
Ill mail you this.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Have you ever stuck your finger in and tried it???

I want to stick my finger in and try it.... just to see...
Have some balls and stick your dick in it and see what happens. I once made the mistake of putting my finger over the spark plug wire hole on my magneto and spun the shaft by hand. It took a few minutes to clear the cobwebs from my brain after picking myself up off the floor on the other side of the room. Learned that lesson pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have some balls and stick your dick in it and see what happens. I once made the mistake of putting my finger over the spark plug wire hole on my magneto and spun the shaft by hand. It took a few minutes to clear the cobwebs from my brain after picking myself up off the floor on the other side of the room. Learned that lesson pretty quick.
I had a similar experience with a Cyclops mini-bike at age 12.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am going to buy another set of plugs tonight and try them. I think I have wire wheeled these fouled plugs at least a dozen times.
good idea.
I read somewhere that every time you cleaned a plug like that, it increased the resistance in the plug. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Here's a thing:

Suppression plug WIRES

Suppression CAPS

Resistor PLUGS

If you have 2 of the 3, it will waste days of troubleshooting.

If you have all 3, you're screwed.

ONLY RUN ONE OF THE THREE (resistor / suppression), run the other 2 items standard.

I like plain, heavy copper wires, resistor CAPS, and plain plugs.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
I read somewhere that every time you cleaned a plug like that, it increased the resistance in the plug. Who knows?
The angry pixies prefer to jump from sharp edges so wire wheeling them does increase the resistance as it blunts the sharp edges on the electrode. Dressing them up with a bit of emery after wheeling them puts an edge back on the electrode making the spark jump easier.

Also if you wire wheel expensive exotic plugs the steel tends to deposit on the harder electrode raising the resistance.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
It's only one cylinder doing it, it's not your wire/cap combo.

If it does it on the same cylinder with 2 different sets of coils, I'd take a close look at the triggers. I didnt read enough to see whether or not you have points or pickups, but it doesn't matter. If you have points, I'm sure you have set dwell and gap plenty of times, tried new ones, etc. If you have dyna or another ignition with pickups test the A/C voltage while cranking on both pickups.

841 - 860 of 1031 Posts