Cafe Racer Forum banner

the pedal bike variety - noob indoor trainer help

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  sdurand76 
#1 ·
Winter is in full swing, 'molson muscle' is getting out of hand..

any recommendations/things to watch out for on indoor trainers? currently looking at a magnetic resistance trainer, just not sure if there are some brands that garbage or not. looking for something that will at least last the winter (before I spend money on a good one). I like the portable/small size of the magnetic resistance ones I'm seeing, just not sure why the huge price differential (lots at 100$ish, all the way up to 2-3g's)

#3 ·
the difference in price is usually a difference in the way you adjust the resistance, and the consistency (speeding up, slowing down) of resistance while using one.
cycle ops is a good brand, get one from performance bike and make sure to note their 100% satisfaction guarantee that is a return/exchange policy with no time limit, while storing your receipt in a safe place.

#5 ·
I have a kurt kinetic which is really nice. I had heard bad things about the magnetic trainers and how well they compare to real riding. But I read a lot of complaints about even the expensive hydraulic trainers leaking around the shaft. The Kurt Kinetic is a hydraulic trainer that is driven by magnets. So the hydraulic pump is permanently sealed. I remember finding one a lot cheaper on Ebay than I could in stores.

#6 ·
well, came across one locally for a reasonable price...should've been thrown off by the name 'Rad mag personal bike trainer'....(rad standing for 'ride all day' not...just lost from the 80's.) just did 30 minutes to see how it felt.... NOISY...bah...took it all apart and none of the guts are concentric, might be able to quiet it down but resistance wise it was pretty bobo. Enough to work up a sweat, but the legs could go for another hour or three. Odly enough, read quite a few reviews that said it was great/quiet/good resistance.....boo the internet.

Oops....going to say that I got bit by wanting something now, not whenever ups got it here.
CCantagallo - seen a lot of 'good press' on the kurt kinetic. but, is it quiet? whoa...just checked the prices...nevermind on that one - not sure the price of quiet is in that range.

#7 ·
It was quiet enough for me. One thing that makes a lot of the noise is the tire and the entire thing vibrating. If you are really concerned about noise, buy a trainer tire and a trainer mat. They make a compound tire just for trainers and it makes a noticeable difference with the sound.

I got a new Kurt Kinetic for $280 on Ebay. I think they were going for around $330 at online bike shops and amazon. Also, I would look for a used Kinetic. Since they do not have leaking problems, there isn't as much risk going used as there is with the hydraulic shaft driven trainers.

#14 ·
quote:Originally posted by ccantagallo

It was quiet enough for me. One thing that makes a lot of the noise is the tire and the entire thing vibrating. If you are really concerned about noise, buy a trainer tire and a trainer mat. They make a compound tire just for trainers and it makes a noticeable difference with the sound.
That. They all make noise. And will make more if you're wheel or tire is out of round. My kinetic trainer has lasted 5 years and thousands of miles during the winter. Still working strong.

#13 ·
quote:Originally posted by ccantagallo

That. They all make noise. And will make more if you're wheel or tire is out of round. My kinetic trainer has lasted 5 years and thousands of miles during the winter. Still working strong.

#15 ·
Yes, resistance wise - the magnets don't seem to work for crap.

I'll start with the basics - more forgiving/damping floor material, up the pressure a bit in the rear, maybe a road slick compound. The wheel out of round issue - well, that'll get addressed when I come across a better deal (stupid montreal bikehippies). the coin it seems to require for a decent wheel leaves me confused. I'm not offroading a road bike, but montreal roads aren't fantastic...

#16 ·
Yes, resistance wise - the magnets don't seem to work for crap.

I'll start with the basics - more forgiving/damping floor material, up the pressure a bit in the rear, maybe a road slick compound. The wheel out of round issue - well, that'll get addressed when I come across a better deal (stupid montreal bikehippies). the coin it seems to require for a decent wheel leaves me confused. I'm not offroading a road bike, but montreal roads aren't fantastic...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.