Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anybody knows of a good wheel builder. need to get the spokes on mine replaced, with stainless. i probably could do it myself but the moto-wheel won't fit on my bicycle wheel stand, go figure! had a sweet wheel stand from an old honda shop but it's in hawai'i and i'm on the east coast!! i should have gradded it, i know i kick myself all the time with that one!! mahalo ---c

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
if youre looking to have a rim drilled and stainless spokes, there is pretty much one place that does this. buchanons. i can onlt tell you that they do ok work, if youre not looking for some out of the ordinary pitch, other than that they are a total pain in the ass to deal with. and anyplace you get parts from most likely buy from them. there are places in england that can give you a good deal on parts and sell you the new akront. there are a million different places that can build you a wheel though. aaron is one guy to talk to. although hes got plenty on his plate now. that and i dont know how much he charges. where on the east coast do you live?? i think most listers are in new england and they can point you to a decent place. if further south, i can help you out proabbly.

alot of people will tewll you to do it yourself and if you were lacing bicycle wheels, thats harder to do. i trust it to other people who know what they are doing.

good luck

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a set of borrani rims on the bike and would like to keep them. the spokes that are there now are badly oxidized and need replacing. i am a certified bicycle mechanic so building wheels is easy for me to some extent i just have no experence with moto wheels. i am back and forth between VT and NYC. a good friend of mine in NYC says he ships his wheels to kentucky or tennesse to get built, but if i could get it done closer that would save a bit i think.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
aaron??? anyone??? there has got to be a a million answers to this question. id send you to the guy i know who alot of people send thier stuff to, but aaron hates him. you can try and contact retromoto.com they are a new jersey new york crew that run some small bikes. chris minks is a good guy and will probably point you to the right guys in the nyc area if he cant do it. aarons in boston pretty much. there are people up and down 84 (it is 84 from ny to vt right??) i dont see anyreason to send a wheel assembly half way cross country just to have it laced up. chances are there are guys in your home town that can do a great job. just my opinion. if no one answers, i can post to another list im a member on and i'll surely get you an answer. you can do some early leg work and order the spokes up from buchanons now. that will at least get that out of the way. i think its buchanonspoke.com

later
joe c

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
First off hand... Chris M. is great. I do hate most people but thats actually a group of guys who are always helpful and have been very cool at the track.

I would do your whell but I have been so busy I barely have enough time to get my own stuff done. In a couple of weeks if you can't fins anoyone to do it, I will do it. If you can't wait you can call Hutchinson Cycle and they'll do it, but you still probably have to wait the couple of weeks because doesn't move there and neither do they.

Aaron

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i was talking about the other guy who sells tires and buys his wife porsches. loser. i like chris too. hes a good guy.

i'll see what i can track down for wheels. thanks for the heads up. i knew you were way too busy to do it. drop it into a box and ship it to me asap. i have a guy here who will do it for me.

no hard feelings man.

jc

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aaron i may take you up on the offer. i have to get the bike regisered, the cali. reg expired and i am going to get it registered in VT this month, so i will probably not get any work done till the end of the month. i'll keep you all posted. mahalo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts