Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Cb450 needs tires...and a front end. I want to make this bike handle very well, and look great without breaking the bank. Not handle like a race bike though. I'm upgrading the forks just a little, i'm going to replace bushings and bearings too. I'm going to replace the back shocks also with something that will dampen well and maybe raise the back up higher.
here she is in her current state...

So i could put on old school looking tires and it may look cool, and handle ok. Or i could put on very modern tires and still pull off the cool look , but it would handle better.

Here are some tires i've been able to find in a 120/90/18 for the back.

Dunlop GT501

Pirrelli Sport Demon

Avon Road Riders

Avon AM18 (sport touring?)

I've ran the road runners on a cb750 and they feel great.

But i really like the way the Dunlop looks.
Also, i'm not even sure that this is the tires size i want to run for sure on the back. I've never ridden hard with a speedmaster in the front mostly because it looks like it would hate for me to turn the bars at all. How do these actually handle? I'll most likely get a match for the front to go along with the rear.

Any other nominations to add? any thoughts on one of these particular tires?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
most modern rubber is more than a match for a vintage motorcycle frame...not to mention most riders. adhesion won't be your limiting factor. responsible riding, and should that fail you, fear will keep you far away from the limits of any tires you might get. camelhairy sometimes runs chen-shin street tires on the track and roasts many with pricier rubber.
-parks

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
any sport touring tire will do for spirited riding and still give you some miles...even if you're just cutting a commuter strip down the middle. finding modern tires in your narrow/big diameter rim sizes will be the problem. but it seems that the bridgestone battalax BT-45s are one of the better choices that are still made to fit the old hondas. the cheng-shins aren't really a bad tire, i've used them a couple of times on a 400 and got well over 5K miles before they got squirley.

-tt

·
Registered
699 Posts
im going with the b-stone battalax 45's on my RD when it is time to replace...i have heard nothing but good things about them

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've put Bridgestone Spitfires on my cb450 - 120/90 in the back and 100/90 in the front. I wish I would have gone with the 110/90 in the back as it feels a bit ballonish on the stock wheel. My 2 cents. I can get some pics if you want.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You can "overtire" a vintage bike - I see it happen on T500's sometimes. Anything wider than a 110 in back and a 90 or 100 in front slows the handling. I'd be willing to bet it's the same for the CB450 as well.

My vote would be for the BT-45's - 100/90-18 (or 19 depending on your rim size)in front and a 110/90-18 in back. Followed by the Avons.

Keep in mind you should plan on replacing the swing-arm bushings while you have the bike apart. Bronze bushings are a good upgrade. And roller bearings up front.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I've had good luck with the Avons on a bigger street bike, they should be great on a smaller bike. Maybe consider the 90/90 front and 110/80 rear to keep the handling

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I just went through this tire choose issue with my new build - I ended up using 120/90 Continental tires on the rear and 3.25/19 front. Continental still sells the old school rib tire for front tires.

On my other cb750 I use a Continental 3.50 on the front and put a chen 120/90 18 on the rear. For the cb750, I like the way the 3.50 fills the fender up in the front. I went with the chen on the back because it was the only tire that I could find that had any rain tread on it. So far so good with the chen but I like the Continental tires the best.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Most people with Ninja 250s upgrade to the Sport Demons.

I run them on mine and in the twisties I can hang with just about any sport bike out there,they are that good! For a bias ply tire on the street they are hard to beat for the grip/price and wear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts