Cafe Racer Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 2135 Posts

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,101
Dealing with 2-3 feet of snow, a roof leak and the long wait for the shipper to get to me.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,103
;) You're suppose to fix your roof in the Nice weather Jag
Nah.
Way better to do it last minute with snow, in the north east during christmas week.
Little known fact, it is the best prices of the year!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ya know Jag, for someone with a very British screen name, you’re quite the Italia-phile. ...or would that be Ital-isti?

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,106
Ya know Jag, for someone with a very British screen name, you’re quite the Italia-phile. ...or would that be Ital-isti?
I went through a Norton phase for a while.
Had three at my peak.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Dealing with 2-3 feet of snow, a roof leak and the long wait for the shipper to get to me.

View attachment 104067

That's much too nice to put on the track though.

Have I got a solution for YOU!

AKA my track bike never sold, it'll be back on the market this spring at a slightly reduced price. It seems I just can't bond with anything that doesn't say "Ducati" on the tank. Well, there is that Moto Guzzi I bought in July, but for the most part...

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,108
At some point I should try my hand at track riding. Never taken the plunge.

These Millies just do not have much appeal. Like you said, guys line up for Ducatis.
Honestly you should just get your bike back together as a street bike. Dont even mention that it was tracked in the add.

What Guzzi?
Would love to be able to play "Duck, Duck, Goose" when walking in the garage.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
What Guzzi?
Would love to be able to play "Duck, Duck, Goose" when walking in the garage.
In July I got rid of my Monster 1200S and bought a Guzzi V85TT

I am now down to one functional Ducati and two projects that have never run under my ownership. The last time I only had one Ducati was the fall of '95. Aside from the RSV, the last ime I had anything OTHER than a Ducati was in 1998ish. But for some reason I decided it was time to try something different.

I'm not sorry I bought the Guzi, but I see another Ducati in my future if/when the RSV sells.

Unless a Bimota project sneaks in there. But even then I'd prefer a DB something.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,110
I was shopping for a 999R when the RSV Haga popped up. Last time I was shopping for a 999R I bought two Bimota.
Had just given serious thought to a 1098R, but think I will hold out for a DB7/8.

There was a DB6R semi local that we were close to a deal on. Thought it would be epic to replace my S4 Monster as the naked daily.

How do you like the V85TT?
They look like a great alternative to a KTM/BMW

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I was shopping for a 999R when the RSV Haga popped up. Last time I was shopping for a 999R I bought two Bimota.
Had just given serious thought to a 1098R, but think I will hold out for a DB7/8.

There was a DB6R semi local that we were close to a deal on. Thought it would be epic to replace my S4 Monster as the naked daily.

How do you like the V85TT?
They look like a great alternative to a KTM/BMW
How do I like the V85: Summed up, I like it a lot. Sure I wish it had more power but come on, I was riding a 1200S Monster before I got this.

That picture was taken when I got home from the dealership. Right after this it was rolled into the garage and the bags removed/stuffed on a shelf in my basement. The next morning, crash bars and a center stand were installed. Since then I've added the MIA bluetooth interface, which also adds in dash navigation (simple stuff, nowhere near what a dedicated GPS can do). Main reason for it was so I can control the music in my helmet with the switchgear but the navigation is nice. That said, I did also add a mount for a Tomtom Rider 550 GPS for real trips, which I hope to start taking next summer.

I've only got about 1500 miles on it so far and it did take some getting used to. The brakes on it are not even in the same league as on the Monster, but to be fair that is likely in part by design. The Monster was supposedly the best braking streetbike Ducati had ever built at the time, even outbraking the superbikes. "They" tell me brakes that powerful aren't a great idea for a bike that may be ridden off pavement. I get that but damn, the first time I hit them on the way home I wondered what the hell was wrong. I got used to them pretty quickly though, the bike stops fine it just takes more effort.

The power is also WAY off from the Monster, but no surprise there. The two guys I normally ride with both have bikes with twice the power. I still get the same places they do at about the same time they do. I do have to plan passes now but it's not a race bike so, whatever.

It has a gear indicator but no engine temp gauge. I have yet to have anyone tell me why I need a gear indicator but some people swear by them. I dunno. I'd rather have it display oil temp. Some smartass pointed out to me it does display coolant temp though. ;-)

The range is stupid on it. Somewhere near 300 miles per tank. Maybe 250 if you're pushing it hard and don't want to get into the low fuel range. I don't recall the last bike I had that I wasn't getting nervous if it had gone 100 miles and there was no fuel stop planned yet.

I plan on taking it out west for some more serious touring riding next summer but so far I'm pretty jazzed about it. I'm still not 100% used to the way it rocks when started though. I haven't thought I was falling over so often since, um, ever. I knew they rocked but it's more than I expected. Not at all noticable when underway though.

Cruise control. I've only played with it very briefly so far, but it would have been a wrist saver on the last long trip I took. One night I couldn't hold on to a pen to sign my name when we stopped riding for the day. I look forward to having it if I ever had to ride across Nebraska again...

It's fooking heavy compared to my Monster at a little over 500lbs, but light-ish compared to a GS? Again not noticable when riding but moving it around the garage took some getting used to. It's a taller bike too so that adds to it.

The stock screen was fooking HORRIBLE. The wind noise was literally unbearable to me. Some guys are putting huge screens on them but I went the other direction and cut down a stock one. Much more better but still a little more noise than I'd like. It's liveable though, and there are a couple more tweaks I can make.

Overall I think it's a keeper, but it will be treated like an adopted orphan. I don't exepct it to see a dealer again any time soon as I'll do all my own maintenance (it has the Monster beat hands down on that front). I'm still a Ducati fan boy and, well, truth be told, can see myself buying another Monster at some point... maybe an "R" this time, or go the other way with an earlier air cooled version?

Oh yeah, the local Ducati dealer is better than the local Guzzi dealer. Luckily the Guzzi isn't as dependant on the dealership as a Ducati is IMHO. But still.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

I am now down to one functional Ducati and two projects that have never run under my ownership. The last time I only had one Ducati was the fall of '95. Aside from the RSV, the last ime I had anything OTHER than a Ducati was in 1998ish. But for some reason I decided it was time to try something different.

I'm not sorry I bought the Guzi, but I see another Ducati in my future if/when the RSV sells.

Unless a Bimota project sneaks in there. But even then I'd prefer a DB something.
Detroit Iron?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

Nice

Have you ever taken it off road yet?.....just curious of its off road mannerisms

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Nice

Have you ever taken it off road yet?.....just curious of its off road mannerisms

I've been "off pavement" with it but no trails. I really didn't buy it for that anyway, I expect the worst it will see is little more than dirt roads on rides out west - which I haven't been on yet. I have no desire/expectation to ride any sort of techincal trail with it.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
5 of us rode most of the day today, first tracks was easy, everything we rode the day before was slippery as ****
It was an awesome new years ride day. I think I only crashed twice, the young guys were riding studded enduros and they were crashing all over the place.

2101 - 2120 of 2135 Posts