Cafe Racer Forum banner
2201 - 2209 of 2209 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Finally got around to sealing off that tach drive gear housing on a xs850. It would weep oil I assume around the threads.
Hi temp thread sealer and rtv to the "flange" and it looks like it's holding.
I welded the open center of the threaded nut closed and pulled the seal out.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
63 Posts
Finally got around to sealing off that tach drive gear housing on a xs850. It would weep oil I assume around the threads.
Hi temp thread sealer and rtv to the "flange" and it looks like it's holding.
I welded the open center of the threaded nut closed and pulled the seal out.
Are you running a tachometer off the coils now?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Are you running a tachometer off the coils now?

This was my first, temporary mock up for the dash maybe 4+ years ago... I never bothered to redo/complete it. It works fine as is. I'm very lazy... (4 years I watched that oil leak...LOL)
Stack tach runs off one of the coils. It is one of the better things on the bike. Solidly built, always rock solid steady reading. The cluster of cheap LED lights is the shift light that comes on around 9.5-10K. A Spa dual oil pressure/oil temp gauge next to it. These three pieces of info are all I need on track! The tach/oil temp/press gauge is wired to a 3 push button cluster on the left clip on as both gauges are programmable for various things like shift light, hi temp, low pressure idiot lamps. That switch on the triple clamp was the temporary location I chose for the headlight switch that came with a relay kit from hella I think. Never moved it.

Really should get a small GPS speed readout put on there as it's just a street bike now. I don't think I'll track this bike anymore. Just not enough brakes... too heavy... controls too heavy... not enough tire... needs more clearance...

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
so my massive fuel leak wasn't due to the float valve shrinking...

It was due to the float valve SEAT o-rings shrinking (due to age).
Also, I love searching for problems and finding forum posts that I participated in 5, 6, or 7 years ago that contain the answers I'm looking for.

And finally... so many Keihin CR parts are back-ordered, even ordering them straight from japan. Luckily I had some old float valve seats that had O-rings on them that were still decent, so at least I could get a ride in this morning.

PMC japan also came out with these:

PMC(Performance Motorcycle Creat : [Color] ClearFloat chamber [14-7201]

I'm totally digging them... but wonder how they hold up in the long run.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
My buddy had a wicked crash today, busted a front fender, dinged his frame, I didn't see it but I heard it and I knew where he was. Three times it drops. The way down.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Finally got around to fitting a custom rear brake line from core moto... i think I was using a way too long oem rubber line lying around from a random sportbike. Probably could have spec'd the line a couple inches shorter, oh well.
Installed and bled.
system is a stock 45yo rear master to a zx-10r rear caliper/bracket and disc with a custom spacer/adapter to fit the rear wheel. This was done about 4 years ago. All that work and money and the only thing it's good for is holding the bike still while at a stoplight. Not much stopping power there.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Snapped my clutch cable at the lever on the way home from visiting my Dad... fortunately it wasn't too far and I pushed it back to his house and bummed a ride home.
Serves me right for not EVER lubing these 40+yo lines in the last 4+ years.
Anyway, found a spare line at home. Pretty sure it was off a xs850 special as the line was a little bit longer. No big deal. 10 minutes to install and back in business.
Last time I had the carbs off, the throttle cable looked a little frayed at the carb side ferrule. I better just look to get new lines.

2201 - 2209 of 2209 Posts