Cafe Racer Forum banner
2221 - 2240 of 2323 Posts

·
Administrator
306 Posts
Man she is pretty. Always wanted on of those. I ran (and sucked at) trials for a short time on a Yamaha 60 enduro as a little kid. I always was envious of the kids with real trials bikes. It's like they are mechanical mountain goats.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I call them full body exercise personal mobility devices.
I know I can ride it places I can't walk or climb for sure, that's been thoroughly tested.

·
Administrator
306 Posts
They say motocross is physically demanding, I wanna say trials is the same or more so. You guys must have the abs of a gorilla.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
More. I did motocross before, and all the enduro guys that are cross training on trials bikes here agree the trials bikes are a better workout. Although I don't go very easy on them lol want to try one? I can hook you up, after you sign a waiver.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Agreed. Those look like nice clamps too.
The clamps were stupid expensive too, but they are a lot nicer than the stock ones (especially after 30 years of use). Plus they claim the warranty on the hoses (lifetime) may be invalid if you use the wrong type of clamps... all in all they were worth it I guess. Oh- and the new hoses are thicker so I'm guessing the stock clamps wouldn't have fit anyway.

Though in the end it probably doesn't matter as I suspect the hoses/clamps will outlive me!

In other news, I'd love to play around on a trials bike someday but the opportunity has never come up.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
That's why I don't mind letting somebody try my spare bike, it's like where else are you going to get an opportunity to try one.
... after you sign the waiver that says you understand I am a completely irresponsible individual and you are totally crazy to follow me.

·
Administrator
306 Posts
Hey. So a guy started his first day as an animal control officer and was assigned to Tom who he had heard was an absolute legend and could handle anything.

The very first call was for an escaped gorilla who was running about the roof tops in town. Tom springs into action:
“ Get a ladder, hand cuffs, the pit bull in the back room, and a shot gun. Load it in the truck and let’s go!”

They arrive on the scene amd Tom again takes control:
“OK, put the ladder up against the house. I am gonna go up there and wrestle the gorilla till I can throw him off the roof. When he lands on the ground the pit bull is trained to bite his crotch and not let go. That will give you time to get the hand cuffs on him and we should be ok after that.”

The new guy said “Got it. What about the shot gun though?”

“ Oh, yeah, listen, if the gorilla throws me off the roof first…shoot the dog.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Went for a morning rip on my favourite muscle bike (zrx1200r) and then came back home rebuilt the carb on the 51 650t Thunderbird, took it for a lazy ride that only a single leading shoe front brake will dictate.
Then tried my hand at cerakote (oven cure) for my project bike brake calipers (gsx550) came out great on initial spray and are now curing in the oven.

A very productive day.

Attachments

·
Administrator
306 Posts
I am hiring for a position in my shop. Got a resume from a kid just barely two years out of high school. His resume had very little experience, honestly there wouldn’t be much he could add in two years anyway. I wasn’t really hopeful but I interview just about everyone who applies.

The young man shows up, on time, in a shirt and tie (Double Windsor knot - serious old school), thanks me for seeing him, shakes my hand and when I ask about his experience he straight out says “I want to learn”.

Damn right he is starting on Monday. Those four words got him the job.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Today I was supposed to be driving back to Minneapolis but instead am contemplating brushing up on my drywall skills.

Turns out the pup's storm anxiety is in full force, I didn't think I could leave him with our dogsitter, considering. I cleaned all the blood off the walls and floor and countertop after I swept up the remains of the wall. Then ended up staying up with im from midnight to 4am. Looked at the forecast, chance of rain after 4 was around 10% through later in the day. Woke up at a little after 6 to storms and a stressing pup. Forecast now showed chance of rain at 98%. Well isn't that helpful.

Yes, we have a thundershirt. Yes, we have the over the counter meds, yes we have prescription meds like Xanax. No, none of it helps if you don't give it to him at least half an hour before the storm.

My wife (who is driving back to Mpls herself now) told me last night he should probably be our last dog. I feel sorry for the little guy but I gotta admit, at about 3:30 am when it's been going on for hours and should have ended already according to the worthless forecasts, the thought of being dogless doesn't seem so bad.

The little bastard in better weather. He's a great dog right up until rainstorms or fireworks enter the equation.

·
Administrator
306 Posts
Damn Desmo. That is tough. Have had the same here with past dogs. My current idiot did this as a pup, ate a hole in a leather couch cause he got scared.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I am hiring for a position in my shop. Got a resume from a kid just barely two years out of high school. His resume had very little experience, honestly there wouldn’t be much he could add in two years anyway. I wasn’t really hopeful but I interview just about everyone who applies.

The young man shows up, on time, in a shirt and tie (Double Windsor knot - serious old school), thanks me for seeing him, shakes my hand and when I ask about his experience he straight out says “I want to learn”.

Damn right he is starting on Monday. Those four words got him the job.

A lot of industry nowadays is in a tight spot because they don't take the time to train inexperienced people. Train someone and pay them a fair wage, and your business will benefit.
My peers have no loyalty to their employers because its been consistently shown that the only way they can get a raise is by changing employers and that as soon as they're no longer needed then they're laid off.
But what do I know about normal people, I've been in the army for the past 12 years.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,233 ·
We cant get techs at the office.

Up to a $2k signing bonus and still nothing.

·
Administrator
306 Posts
I had a guy I interviewed and liked. I called him three times to offer him the job and has hasn’t returned any messages. He will call when his unemployment benefits run out.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
We cant get techs at the office.

Up to a $2k signing bonus and still nothing.
A $2k bonus isn't all that much nowadays. Obviously it depends on the overall package, but I think people are using COVID as an incentive to finally jump to new industries/careers.
Employers are going to need to pay a lot more to get people to come work for them. Maybe wages will finally catch up to worker productivity/inflation

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Desmo, we had cats and dogs continuously for 22 years. When the last one passed away in 2013, we decided to take a break from animals in the house. We quickly realized how much effort, expense, damage, and anxiety came with them. We might get a dog when we’re both retired, but not until then.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Today I was supposed to be driving back to Minneapolis but instead am contemplating brushing up on my drywall skills.

Turns out the pup's storm anxiety is in full force, I didn't think I could leave him with our dogsitter, considering. I cleaned all the blood off the walls and floor and countertop after I swept up the remains of the wall. Then ended up staying up with im from midnight to 4am. Looked at the forecast, chance of rain after 4 was around 10% through later in the day. Woke up at a little after 6 to storms and a stressing pup. Forecast now showed chance of rain at 98%. Well isn't that helpful.

Yes, we have a thundershirt. Yes, we have the over the counter meds, yes we have prescription meds like Xanax. No, none of it helps if you don't give it to him at least half an hour before the storm.

My wife (who is driving back to Mpls herself now) told me last night he should probably be our last dog. I feel sorry for the little guy but I gotta admit, at about 3:30 am when it's been going on for hours and should have ended already according to the worthless forecasts, the thought of being dogless doesn't seem so bad.

The little bastard in better weather. He's a great dog right up until rainstorms or fireworks enter the equation.
Good looking dog. I have an Aussie Shepard. He is at the other end of life and still terrified in storms or with fireworks. He won't even hang around if I start a bike. Hunting season is his least favorite time of year. I have a walk in shower in the en-suite and that is where he likes to be during storms. I think likely the chewing is a puppy response and he'll grow out of it.

·
Administrator
306 Posts
Well, since we are on a dog discussion my little one came up lame on the front left paw this morning. She was fine last night. No obvious injury, likely pulled a muscle. Will have to keep tabs on her for the day.

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,239 ·
A $2k bonus isn't all that much nowadays. Obviously it depends on the overall package, but I think people are using COVID as an incentive to finally jump to new industries/careers.
Employers are going to need to pay a lot more to get people to come work for them. Maybe wages will finally catch up to worker productivity/inflation
Nah, just an incentive to design systems to need less skilled labor or labor in general.
People are just not worth the money they think they are.

Sucks right now as the current system relied on labor, but over time that will even out.

Personally I am SHOCKED that covid did not eliminate 80% of low skill "clerk" jobs.
Why does a fast food place need ANYONE on the register? Same with check outs at the grocery store.

·
Administrator
306 Posts
Nah, just an incentive to design systems to need less skilled labor or labor in general.
People are just not worth the money they think they are.

Sucks right now as the current system relied on labor, but over time that will even out.

Personally I am SHOCKED that covid did not eliminate 80% of low skill "clerk" jobs.
Why does a fast food place need ANYONE on the register? Same with check outs at the grocery store.
There are some McDonalds here with self order kiosks. You pick all your food, pay, and are given a pick up number before you even approach a person.

2221 - 2240 of 2323 Posts