Cafe Racer Forum banner
2261 - 2280 of 2326 Posts

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Wife went fishing, now I gotta go clean some nice Bass :cool:
Recovering from the crash injury nicely, bruises have surfaced, swelling is reduced and I'm no longer coughing up fluid throughout the night. I think I'm going to live.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
So were clocks ever a thing on bikes in the 70s? like one you can wind up to tell the time?
I'd like to get one for my Z1, but would prefer something period correct.
I know some of the old velocettes and stuff had them.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
So were clocks ever a thing on bikes in the 70s? like one you can wind up to tell the time?
The only gauges I remember from "back in the day" were BMW Motometer accessory clocks, which could be fairing or gauge-pod mounted, and the Hondaline accessory clock for the CBX/Sport fairing. They were electric, not wind-up.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Today I loaded my 851 onto my new/used trailer and discovred that older Kendon trailers were not set up for bikes with 17" front wheels and full fairings.

In stock form the chock doohickey is too far back and basically worthless for anything other than scratching fairings. The front end isn't tied down, as soon as the fork compresses the fairing will hit. My buddy's Panigale got bitten by his Kendon a couple years back.

Newer Kendon trailers have an adjustable chock so you can avoid this. Older ones do not. I took it off since it wasn't doing anything anyway, but didn't like having to deal with the bike not being held up by the chock anymore so I figured out how to move it forward with welding anything to it.

Much more better. But it still doesn't hold the bike up as well as I'd like... Next mod will be changing the platform on the back of the trailer so I can bolt a Pitbull trailer restraint to it. That will solve the whole holding the bike up until it can be tied down issue!

·
Administrator
243 Posts
Only my 1982 BMW RT had a clock, don't know of any other bikes other than BMW that had clocks in the 70s.

A few years ago I bought one similar to those in the link but in matt black (#5). It was quite heavy duty and the battery lasted three years. I bought it from a local online marketplace for around $8US.

It kept great time, however I dropped it when trying to change the battery - still, 3 years for $8 isn't too bad.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Added some new videos to the parts bin video section, to include an interview with Allen Millyard and a 1970s motorcycle safety film

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I needed to cut through 8 inches of 1/2" thick 6061 aluminum to make an engine plate for my CVT bike project. I don't have a chop saw or band saw, and I wasn't looking forward to hacksawing it or using an angle grinder. Several people online had good results with circular saw blades designed specifically designed for cutting aluminum. I was skeptical; as a rule, cutting metal with a saw designed for wood is a no-no. However, I decided that for $20, it was worth a shot. I thought, even just a good, straight, perpendicular score across the metal would help me cut straight with the hack saw. I put it in my sliding miter saw and made a series of approx. 1/8" deep passes just to be conservative. Wow! It cut effortlessly—no bogging, no burning, just plenty of little chips flying out the back of the saw. The resulting cut was really clean. I'm really surprised how well it works. I should have tried this long ago; I could have saved so much time.

Attachments

·
2,007 Posts
Metal cutting saws run at a slower rpm than wood ones.
I picked up a Dewalt (DW872) used off of facebook or Craigslist several years ago... new they are ridiculous at $400+, $600 with a blade!
Honestly, didn't notice a huge difference from a high quality wood cutting one but it has served me well. I have cut mostly tubing with it when I need fit up for welding to be better than can be achieved cutting with a cutoff wheel.

·
2,007 Posts

Well there we go for better or worse. I'd like to cut out the fuel filler section to redo it, but it'd just take too much effort and time.
Tank comes in at just under 9 pounds sans fuel pump. Tubing was 30 thou wall thickness, I could bend the 1/4" section with a plastic tubing bender. The rest I bent with an oxy torch and sand.
Welding sucked. both cause I didn't care too much about fit up so the gaps were largish in places and 30 thou is a bitch to weld. Basically brake line wall thickness.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Had another succesful day at Grattan.

I started the day convinced this would be my last track day. I ended the day convinced I need to get my 900ss into a state of trustworthy for track use - I got to the point I didn't really want to ride the 851 any harder and risk binning it. On my final session of the day, a guy on an ST4s following me and an instructor went down. Unhurt, the bike received cosmetic damage, but I would have been heartbroken had it been the 851... track bikes need to be more disposable me thinks.

So, now back to figuring out what it would take to get the 900ss whipped into a suitable condition...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Had another succesful day at Grattan.

I started the day convinced this would be my last track day. I ended the day convinced I need to get my 900ss into a state of trustworthy for track use - I got to the point I didn't really want to ride the 851 any harder and risk binning it. On my final session of the day, a guy on an ST4s following me and an instructor went down. Unhurt, the bike received cosmetic damage, but I would have been heartbroken had it been the 851... track bikes need to be more disposable me thinks.

So, now back to figuring out what it would take to get the 900ss whipped into a suitable condition...
WE are going to be mad if you scuff up the 851,LOL.

I have some damaged but usable plastics (yellow) and some clean pieces as well as other parts that are coming off the project bikes. We won't have a complete list for a couple months.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
WE are going to be mad if you scuff up the 851,LOL.
That's funny. The crash red flagged the session so I never saw it. When I got to my car, I had barely shut the thing off when some guy rode up and was saying something to me. I walked over and he said something along the lines of "It wasn't you?" When I figured out he thought I had crashed, I told him no, wasn't me. He told me it was a bike that looked like mine (the ST was all red also) and he was happy it wasn't me.

I truly doubt he was concerned about ME...

In other news - I have told people before that there is no such thing as a single "Ducati red", they have changed the color throughout the years. My claim is that the red they used in the early '90s is nicer than later reds. It was a sunny day yesterday, and the 851 sat next to some current model red Ducatis. A bystander commented on the difference in color, it's very noticable when they are side by side. The older red will dang near glow under the right light. Rumor has it the older red is really a tint over a pink undercoating. That's how one painter matched a mirror on my '91 907ie anyway. It took a lot of tries and when he finished it looked great, but he told me if I ever needed anything else painted on it, I should take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hooking up the trailer to go shopping tomorrow.

Hopefully it will come home full. If it does I will post pics.

2261 - 2280 of 2326 Posts