Cafe Racer Forum banner
2301 - 2320 of 2323 Posts

·
Administrator
306 Posts
Well, I rode to work this morning under beautiful blue skies and at 2:30 they turned black. I said we ya later and headed home. Almost made it. HEAVY down pour but no hail thankfully. First time I the rain on that bike, the tank and fairings have a great way of channeling all the water right to your crotch. Oh well, still better than driving the truck.

·
Administrator
306 Posts
I rehomed the last of my fresh water aquarium stock last night and will be beginning the task of switching over to a salt water reef tank. Anybody here keep a salt water tank?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I rehomed the last of my fresh water aquarium stock last night and will be beginning the task of switching over to a salt water reef tank. Anybody here keep a salt water tank?
Yes Tinsnips. I've been keeping marines since 1985. This little Kent Bio Reef was set up 5 years ago.
Water Natural environment Plant Botany Organism

·
Administrator
306 Posts
Beautiful! I have 90lbs of dry rock to cure and cycle and my goal is soft corals and invertebrates with a few fish. I am hoping to be cycled and ready for livestock in November.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
110 Posts
Adjusted the preload on my vulcan, carrying more gear lately to work.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system

it’s way back in there but I didn’t have to take anything off to get to it (y)
Automotive tire Auto part Motor vehicle Metal Close-up

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
So last night I replaced a leaking float bowl gasket while the carbs were still on the bike... I took the opportunity to replace the float valve seat o-ring as well. This morning I go to take a ride and noticed that the carb was still leaking.
My dumbass put the float in upside-down. Took the carbs off and did it right... also took the time to replace all the float valve seat o-rings and bowl gaskets. Hopefully it's the last time I have to do it for the next year or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trying do diagnose some weird wiring issues between the headlight, instrument panel, and turn signals.

PO has the brown taillight wire spliced into the white headlight wire. I’m hoping that brown wire is just an extra and is going to one of the switches and should hook up somewhere else. Plus I want to get rid of all those crappy blue connectors.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
oof... if that's an indication of the rest of the wiring harness, you might just want to get a brand new one.

Reactions: Classic250

·
Registered
12 Posts
oof... if that's an indication of the rest of the wiring harness, you might just want to get a brand new one.
Fortunately it’s not. The main junction under the tank and everywhere else is legit, it’s just here in the bucket. One of the POs had replaced the turn signals at some point and did who-knows-what. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
This morning before work, I whipped up an adapter plate for my current project's GX200 clone motor. While not absolutely necessary, this doohickey provides some advantages:
  • A gradual transition between the D-shape intake port and round intake — theoretically better flow than designs that just slap a flat plate over it.
  • Enlarges the intake dia. to match readily available 1.25" dia. 18ga tube.
  • Intake mounting holes are now clocked to avoid frame tube interference.
  • Intake mounting holes are now symmetrical, instead of being slightly offset from center.
  • Greater center-to-center distance between the mounting holes, which will provide more room for a weld bead around the flange/pipe joint of the intake tract.
I originally planned to thread the flange mounting holes, but at the last minute I simply drilled 6.5mm holes and will put nuts behind the plate. Unfortunately, I happened to position the lower hole right in front of a cast fin on the head, so that will need to be ground back a small amount. I also need to soften the transitions between the main center hole and the smaller "D" holes. In fact, the whole inner surface could use some smoothing; my boring bit was a bit duller than I thought it was.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Rim Alloy wheel

·
Registered
1975 Yamaha RD350
9 Posts
I am currently a mechanic at a friends shop. A few days ago I interviewed with a boiler company for a project controls role (have 16 years of industrial construction experience) and I have not told my buddy/boss. I won't tell him until it's too late.
He's been fucking up lately and doing stupid shit. Today I decided that I am taking EVERYTHING I have at the shop I am currently working on that relates to my cafe racer build and am taking it home and putting it in the garage to work on there, instead of at the shop. I intend to also remove all of my tools and equipment I have at the shop in the next few days. Surprise, you should have paid me instead of shorting my checks.

People often forget that extreme things happen when people are pushed to the extreme.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Rode the first electric motorcycle I really liked today, it was cool. Electric Motion 2022 Race with a clutch, and it handles nice. Yay, Electrics are finally a thing, all it takes is money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rode the first electric motorcycle I really liked today, it was cool. Electric Motion 2022 Race with a clutch, and it handles nice. Yay, Electrics are finally a thing, all it takes is money.
A clutch ?

I thought they were just off and on , no gears

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
The clutch is what the electrics always needed to make it operate like a real motorcycle.

... a 2 speed gearbox would be a nice addition but they probably won't do that because of weight. I had no problem hitting top speed with only one gear ratio to play with.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Not with those torque figures listed you wouldn't!!

Impressive stuff considering the weight of the bike
Torque output does not replace a clutch. You take one without a clutch and I take one with a clutch and you won't be following me for very long.

2301 - 2320 of 2323 Posts