Cafe Racer Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 2048 Posts

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
The battery charger for my wife's Spyder was inop, so I bought another. Plugged it in today and the new one wouldn't charge either. The battery in '10-'12 Spyder RTs is buried deep under the seat behind a bunch of body panels and structural parts -- almost impossible to get to. It took me 2 hrs 45 min to replace the charging pigtail.
Just glad your wife doesn't drive the american mk1 golf or that post might've taken on an entirely different meaning!!

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Had a rude awaking last night. I had just nodded off to sleep at around 3am when there was a violent pounding on my front door. It was neighbor letting me know half my yard was going up in flames. I hauled ass out there in my underwear and started dousing the flames nearing the shop door, behind which are the 2 bikes. After about 10 minutes and realizing it was going to take a bunch more water to put it out I handed the hose to the neighbor to man while I went back in to get some clothes on. By the time I got back out there the fire department had arrived and after a half hour I realized there was NFW I was putting out the fire with my garden hose. It ended up burning a good part of the side yard and destroyed my race car trailer tires and decking. Actually that part was a blessing as I was planning on reskinning the trailer and wasn't looking forward to removing the old decking, well the fire and the fighters took care of that for me when I said the wood under the diamond plate skin was still burning.So the ended up ripping the whole deck off. 2 of the tires were already blown and shredded from the last trip home after selling the race car. The only good tire left is still good, I'll replace all 4 obviously. If not for the neighbors Pit Bull, my buddy, raising hell and waking his owners there's no telling what might have happened. As it is now I am just considering it a minor brush fire. We are in a drought and with the leaves falling there are massive forest fires in north Georgia and the air here is just filled with smoke everywhere.

Here you can see how close it got to the house. Nothing but dry leaves the fire would have followed right up to the house and I'd a been f**ked.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Glad to hear it didn't end in tears. Bonus that it got a couple of shit jobs out the way. No such thing as brush fires here as there are only 2 and 1/2 dry days a year in yorkshire.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Fix faster, Ride more

Geesh you guys need to get out and ride more, today was an awesome day for riding, almost the best this year! With 4 bikes on the go we dealt with one bad spark plug, one dirty carburetor, one clutch basket that came loose behind the friction plates, two fractured rear fenders, one broken thumb and everything got fixed out in the woods using a few hand tools, a swiss army knife, several zip ties and a rock :D bike repairs barely even cut into our riding time.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Geesh you guys need to get out and ride more, today was an awesome day for riding, almost the best this year! With 4 bikes on the go we dealt with one bad spark plug, one dirty carburetor, one clutch basket that came loose behind the friction plates, two fractured rear fenders, one broken thumb and everything got fixed out in the woods using a few hand tools, a swiss army knife, several zip ties and a rock :D bike repairs barely even cut into our riding time.
So still doing the survivor man motorcycle series then? :cool: Cool, I'm still holding out for a few more riding days before I make room next to the couch. Just got to get out and back before the temps plummet at the end of the day and the deer start roaming the streets. Other than that some great scenery you don't normal see now the leaves are off the trees and the bike loves the cooler temps for running. Often wish I still had a dirt machine. Woody had a trials bike for sale a while back but the never sitting down thing sounded exhausting.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
You gotta come out and try it some time, you'll be totally addicted once you do, waaaaay better exercise then running! Only warning I would offer is that riding trials bikes tends to render all other forms of motor sports boring by comparison.
:| my spare bike is in service mode at the moment or I'd suggest you come out and ride with us next time.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
So still doing the survivor man motorcycle series then? :cool: Cool, I'm still holding out for a few more riding days before I make room next to the couch. Just got to get out and back before the temps plummet at the end of the day and the deer start roaming the streets. Other than that some great scenery you don't normal see now the leaves are off the trees and the bike loves the cooler temps for running. Often wish I still had a dirt machine. Woody had a trials bike for sale a while back but the never sitting down thing sounded exhausting.
Friday, Saturday look really good for temperature, although with all the guns in the bush 'round here right now it's better to be on the roads. I thought we were done for the season a couple weeks ago, got to put a battery back in a bike.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Short videos from yesterday of Wojo's first ever attempt at Mt.Rushmore rock :)

[video]http://vid990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/eotamoderator/videos/arden2016Nov14%20-%201_zpsi8yamacw.mp4[/video]

...somebody once asked what the 2 guys standing at the top of the rock were for:

[video]http://vid990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/eotamoderator/videos/arden2016Nov14oops%20-%201_zpswbvao5gp.mp4[/video]

I think this was where he busted his thumb

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You gotta come out and try it some time, you'll be totally addicted once you do, waaaaay better exercise then running! Only warning I would offer is that riding trials bikes tends to render all other forms of motor sports boring by comparison.
:| my spare bike is in service mode at the moment or I'd suggest you come out and ride with us next time.
I did try it and it was TOUGH. Reinforced what I already knew, I am in terrible shape. I had more falls than cleans, but ya gotta start some where.
Footnote: 1974 TY250 heavy on about the 3rd pick-up.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Talk to me about Global Warming when we're in the middle of the brutal winter that is expected this year.
Praying for a brutal winter here as I've not yet had the opportunity to introduce betty properly to the soul boost you get from sliding out of control down a hill covered in a shit ton of snow......

As far as what I'm doing today..... the zx6 is misbehaving and not pumping fuel..... after all i've fucking done for the bitch..... I know she'll come round to my caress though..... nowt ever got done under duress so I'll tease her rather than poke one of her eyes out and do the rest of her makeup with an angle grinder....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I will take you up on a lesson in trials sir. Would be an awesome experience. Though being a little old and worn out does make me apprehensive. Watched the competitions for years in amazement as to what could be done with balls and two wheels. I don't mind a few bruises as long as I'm learning. It's when things snap I get a little whiny. I remember some Lambkin (sp?) guy who was always amazing to watch. Saw him go up a waterfall once and I was hooked. Anyway, if your patient and offering I'd like to see what it's all about. Looks like spring given my current work schedule though. Cheers

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
that be dougie lampkin.

climbing over things with bikes will teach you a finesse of low speed control that others will gape at.

I feel a strange need to post this.......

Find the rest of his shit..... you will be inspired....... then attach a motor and carry on.....

on a side note I love how all the muggles come and look down the subway steps after the wizard disappears...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
that be dougie lampkin.

climbing over things with bikes will teach you a finesse of low speed control that others will gape at.

Find the rest of his shit..... you will be inspired....... then attach a motor and carry on.....

on a side note I love how all the muggles come and look down the subway steps after the magician disappears...
Watched allot of this guy, does some great videos. Actually it was him what got me thinking bout Dougie.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Watched allot of this guy, does some great videos. Actually it was him what got me thinking bout Dougie.
Changing gear can be a fun thing to learn on a lot of them if you come from road land, sort of hook it backwards and forwards whilst you dance on your tippy toes....

Ten minutes real learning on a trials bike and you'll astound the car drivers around you the next time you trickle in traffic on your road bike whilst demonstrating a perfect four way balance between rider weight, rear brake drag, clutch slip and throttle.

TBH everyone who rides a motorcycle should have to do a bit of unpredictable surface, slow work as part of the test before being let loose on a mid powered bike.

Everyone who drives a car should be beat to death with the radio, aircon, kids, iphone and then made to do all of the above before ever being allowed to control a ton and a half of potential kinetic destruction.

I

1001 - 1020 of 2048 Posts