Cafe Racer Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 2047 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Good luck at Bonneville.

I'll have to make an effort to get down there one of these years (to spectate). In the mean time, I'm going fishing again. The parts that I ordered from the UK were shipped air mail a month ago and I found out yesterday that they are in Jordan. HTF did they get to Jordan?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
So I rode to work fine this morning. At 0800, about two hours after arriving at work, I get on the Z1 go 1 mile down the road to the dining hall. About half way there the bike cut out completely. Almost like the kill switch was tripped. I was able to start it up immediately but 100' later it happened again.

20 minutes later I leave the dining hall and the same issue kept happening. The bike idles fine and the issue only shows up when moving. Several times after re-starting, the bike would shut off as soon as I engaged 1st gear (with the clutch still pulled).

I've checked the connections under the side cover and seat. The next step is to take off the tank and check those connections. I'm guessing it might be a faulty kill switch or ignition switch.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
bummer check the fuse holders if still glass tube fuses i have seen them very loose and be inhermitten
I upgraded the fuse to a blade type. Checked that and all connections are good.

I just pulled the tank and checked the coil connections, they're all good.
I did, however notice that the power wire from to the horn had pulled out of its connector... I disconnected both wires and taped them up for now. Maybe that hot wire grounding out could cause an issue? I would expect it to blow a fuse though.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Dare I say it's fixed.

Rode a few miles down to the gas station and back. No issues. The loose hot wire to the horn must have been pulling enough power when it grounded to starve the coils?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Nearly finished shaping these arches for my MGB. The green one I agreed to buy from shit bay a little while ago turned out to have been an insurance write off (bugger) so I cancelled the sale and found another. Really good solid condition this is, but getting it media blasted shortly for a bare metal re-paint. Sebring replica is what it should be.

IMG_0788.JPG

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
cleaned the garage after completing a few projects.

Built a new work bench top:

Built a kitchen table.
Drew up some leg designs and had my machinist weld them up, then made the top out of oak:

And finally spent yesterday evening tidying up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That looks like a nice workshop.

Dam im jealous of the space you yanks get when you have a house with a garage.

You would laugh at the size and price of british homes let alone the sorry boxs that are passed off as a garage.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
That looks like a nice workshop.

Dam im jealous of the space you yanks get when you have a house with a garage.

You would laugh at the size and price of british homes let alone the sorry boxs that are passed off as a garage.
I've had to get really creative making the shop. There is a great space for a workbench, but the previous owners decided to bolt a steel tornado shelter to the floor. I'd sell it but I'd feel like a real asshole if a tornado then came through. Right now it's filled with all my TA-50 (issued army stuff). I did use it to bolt those tire racks to though.

I designed the bench area to be only about 20" deep so that it fits snugly against the wall and a second car could theoretically be parked in the garage if needed.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Clean space. My garage looks like a tornado went through it. Literally. I've got shit all over the place and on the floor. Like a frickin' homeless tard, I am.

Anyway...

Thought I would fire up the welder again to make my own cat eliminator for the track bike. I went super cheap and bought some mild steel exhaust tubing from the local auto store on Friday. Probably was aluminized. It welded black but brushed clean. And chopped up part of a stainless exhaust I had laying around to weld a stub on the collector.

4 1/2 pie cuts later. Finished by Monday after I picked up some stainless filler and filled my second argon tank for purge. Turned out nice.
cat eliminator.jpg

Did all the squidly trackbike stuff like install an ignition bypass harness, (fork extenders and shimmed rear shock had already been done earlier), installed a quickshifter, removed the pair valve and exhaust valve, then flashed to ecu for all the above...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Swapped out the cast OEM Brembo brakes for some, ummmm, cast Brembo brakes I had lying around.
Modified some spacers to fit. Took the brake lines from an unrealized BMW build.
Bled and zip tied then bled again.
Biggest tip on bleeding brakes, take the calipers off and press the pistons back in the bores to remove the stubborn traces of air in the caliper bores.

20170822_165612.jpg

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Checking back into CR.net because i been a lazy motorcycle neglecting bum. :cool:

1441 - 1460 of 2047 Posts