Cafe Racer Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 2083 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I didn't keep track of time, but the actual cutting wasn't all that much. I wouldn't call it a skill quite yet. That is my first gear and the previous post about the rotary table was my first thread cut on the lathe, so still trying to acquire a reasonable level of skill. The threading thing was relatively easy, just watched a few YouTube videos. If you want to learn a bit about the world of machining then watch a bunch of "This Old Tony" . Most of them are really well done and entertaining even if you aren't really into whatever he's doing.
Learning to cut the gear was a different story and the Machinists Handbook (the bible) has over 500 pages on gear cutting graphs formulas etc. My eyeballs start to bleed after 10 minutes of that and it's pretty heavy going for someone who never showed up for class. I also watched a bunch of videos on gear cutting which helped with basic setup but in the end, just figured out the setting on the dividing head by farting around. Need 49 teeth, head has a ratio of 40/1. Actually seemed relatively straightforward once you know the answer.

Back to the subject of time.... I'm the wrong guy to ask because all of the steps take me a lot longer than normal. Even rummaging around finding stock or turning the gear blank takes way too long. The lathe belt is oil soaked and held together with a shoelace, so I have to take light cuts. A "machinist" would knock one of those out in about an hour I would guess depending on setup time for the indexing stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb_BURLuI70

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I was interested in the time because your a newbie garage machinist. I had a grumpy old fart machinist until he retired and now I have a pair of over equipped, arrogant, talented, young dickheads.
My formula is; TTL x BSC = TITD (Time to learn X Brain strain of the calculations = Take it to dickheads).

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Now having cut one, I'd guess that next time it would consume at least 1/2 the day? Combine the shitty memory with the learning curve, changing the diaper on the apprentice etc and it definitely takes a while..... however, it takes the better part of a day for me to drive across town to the one machine shop that I sort of trust to do cylinder boring etc. There is a local place that could cut that gear, but it wouldn't be cheap and might take weeks depending on the season. In spite of the brain strain, there was a bit of a fun factor and at the risk of sounding smug, there certainly is a sense of satisfaction when you do the final pass and the last tooth is the same size and spacing as the other 48. Still have to mount it onto the other gear/hub and see if it works. The milling gods may still decide that I need another kick in the nuts.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Part 2 of my mailbox saga...

I was driving back to KY from Rhode Island and my wife texted me this:

Apparently the town was in the process of resurfacing our road and as a result of the uneven pavement making the lanes narrower, some jabroney clipped my mailbox.

Here's the damage:

Mailbox:

The base:

The 1/4" bolts that held the base to the post:

I didn't find any debris, but I must have fucked something up good.

Here's what I upgraded with:

So I filled the old holes in the post with wood glue and secured the new base to the post with two 1/2"x6" countersunk bolts. I then added some wood glue to the countersink hole. I also used super heavy gauge L-brackets secured with six 1/4"x1.5" bolts.

Time for round two

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
My road was just beginning to show wear in one or two spots. I'd say it makes sense to resurface it now before damage is done to the sub-layers.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
So I had some stickers made...

I think I may change the color to suit the Z1 better...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I whipped this up... I think I like it better

Japan police car logo grey.png

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
What's the purpose of the lever above the lock?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It is for signalling. The mail person puts it up when they put mail in the box, owner puts it down when the box is emptied.
Isn't that backwards? I always raise my flag when I have mail to be picked up and the carrier puts it down... which then raise the question, if they have mail to be picked up, do they leave it unlocked?

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
Haven't seen too many rural mailboxes with a lock on it :| most don't even have a working flag.
I just drive to town and mail at the post office, rural delivery mailboxes are a pain, besides; the girl at the post office is kinda cute ;)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I think the flag goes up when there is mail in the box. You are already ahead of me because they only deliver in rural areas, don't pick up. I have had one on my mail boxes pretty much my whole life and never actually seen it used and locks, LOL, well let's just say you don't need to wait for me to come home to grab a beer.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You are already ahead of me because they only deliver in rural areas, don't pick up.
I thought rural routes were the whole point of the flag. We were told that postal carriers aren't required to pick up outgoing mail from our box specifically because we're on a municipal route (that is, a named street address, not a RR number). Of course, that was when we moved into the house in 1992.

However, they are free to collect mail if they choose, at their individual discretion. Fortunately, we place letters and parcels in our box all the time, and the guy on our route always takes it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I thought rural routes were the whole point of the flag. We were told that postal carriers aren't required to pick up outgoing mail from our box specifically because we're on a municipal route (that is, a named street address, not a RR number). Of course, that was when we moved into the house in 1992.

However, they are free to collect mail if they choose, at their individual discretion. Fortunately, we place letters and parcels in our box all the time, and the guy on our route always takes it.
Hey Rumpelstiltskin, put down those tools and come out of the garage, a couple things have changed in the last quarter century, you may want to take a look.

I don't know when they stopped individual rural pick up here, it may have been available when I was young and they may still pick up from the rural community boxes.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
My mail carrier is hit or miss with picking up stuff I have in the box.

She's even more hit or miss with what she decides is crammed in my mailbox or what's brought to the door... Most recently I had a 24" tube (containing baffle material) placed in my mailbox, protruding 8 inches into the street. Other times I've been nearly unable to remove the package from the mailbox... like its some sort of Chinese fingertrap

Reactions: TrialsRider
1821 - 1840 of 2083 Posts