1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much weight do you think it would be possible to shave from this:

WITHOUT altering its appearance!

Think as radically as you can.

I have been thinking that a black bomber with a newer motor (5sp tranny and larger oil pump) and other internal mods to balance top speed and reliability, combined with a significant weight dump, might be the stuff of legend.

I'm imagining a bike that could tour without breaking a sweat like a big bike, but kick around town and curves like a little guy. Mostly it's the styling of this thing that gets me every time, though.

So, how could I lose 100lbs and no one notice? Pretend that money is no object.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what I have thought of so far:

· New CrMo frame
· CF/glass/molded plastic bodywork (with chrome panels on the tank)- tank, headlight, fenders, side covers
· Aluminum body shocks,
· Aluminum rims
· New super light exhaust repro'd to look identical

OK, yes, the shocks and rims would look slightly different, but I'm thinking you could use the plastic covers on the shocks and remove stickers from the lower bodies, and the rims wouldn't be very noticeable.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Air cushion is lighter than seat foam
One piece tank with 'chrome' panels instead of separate ones.
I recon it would be at least 100lbs lighter, maybe more.
$500,000 'CB450';)
You won the lottery? :D

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Ti....lots of Ti bolts
losse the stock battery in favor of a A123 type thing
bet that lighting the crank/rotor should save a few Lbs

since you want it to look the same you really are just focusing on changing the material used in the stock bike to lighter ones

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by crazypj

...$500,000 'CB450';)
No lotto win yet...just got to thinking. :)

I'd like to think it could be done for a lot less than $500k, though. What could be done for <$50k?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
quote:Originally posted by spacmanspif300

quote:Originally posted by crazypj

...$500,000 'CB450';)
No lotto win yet...just got to thinking. :)

I'd like to think it could be done for a lot less than $500k, though. What could be done for <$50k?
You could probably get 'autographs' on a build quote from all the custom bike builders for 50K :D

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
50k will get you a 60rwhp 450 thats probably 80lbs less than stock and handles a lot better.

You want completely stock looking?

Send the check to me. Message me for address. ;)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The weight of the cb450 is around 410lbs. In order to loose 100lbs (about 25% of it's total weight), you would have to take all the metal parts like tank, fenders, side covers and such off the bike and replace them with reproduction plastic parts, replace the steel wheels for aluminum, change all the screws, bolts, axle and such to some lighter weight metal and so forth.... Even with all that - you might loose somewhere like 40-60lbs.

You would be better off loosing 100lbs of your own body weight and leaving the bike alone...

·
Registered
745 Posts
leave it alone you fucking degenerate.

then sell it to me.

instant loss of 410 pounds.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

The weight of the cb450 is around 410lbs. In order to loose 100lbs (about 25% of it's total weight), you would have to take all the metal parts like tank, fenders, side covers and such off the bike and replace them with reproduction plastic parts, replace the steel wheels for aluminum, change all the screws, bolts, axle and such to some lighter weight metal and so forth.... Even with all that - you might loose somewhere like 40-60lbs.
What about the new, lightweight moly frame? And what do you think such a thing might cost?

quote:Originally posted by engel

leave it alone you fucking degenerate.

then sell it to me.

instant loss of 410 pounds.
That's the kind of reply I was looking for. Cheers! Or is it Pröst with you?

Either way, if I ever become a millionaire and for whatever reason have nothing better to do than this, please rest assured knowing all the original stuff would go into storage, making a resto possible at some undetermined time.

·
Registered
745 Posts
cheers, prost, etc... all work fine. my standard comment to other drinkers is "geddadogubyayafadmoll". so far translations into german lose some context in the process. try telling someone to have a hound inserted in their rectum you non compact prostitute and they look at you sort of bewildered. i'm starting to question my abilities as an ambassador for australia when abroad in fact.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ti frame and swingarm
Ti fork tubes and handlebars
Carbon/Kevlar tank, seat pan, engine covers (painted to look like alu.) and fenders -paint to suit
single wall polished stainless pipes and aluminum mufflers styled to look like those
aluminum rims and spoke nipples
Aluminum non-load bearing screws and bolts
Ti axles, hardware etc
VM30's in place of OE carbs with pods hidden behind CF side covers
A123 battery
Lightened crank, undercut and beveled gears, lightened pistons.
Helium filled sealed frame tubes
Healthy shit
Dummy started
minimized wiring

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by mlinder

50k will get you a 60rwhp 450 thats probably 80lbs less than stock and handles a lot better.

You want completely stock looking?

Send the check to me. Message me for address. ;)
These 60 horses: are they streetable, or race horses?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
quote:Originally posted by spacmanspif300

Good ideas, all. I'm still curious on price estimates for any/all of this...

Ti frame? Holy fuck.
Bakker Frambou in Holland makes replica Manx frames in Ti. Last price I heard was 18,000 euros. But it comes with a mag swingarm for that price.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I haven't a clue where one would commission something like this.
I have tig welded Ti successfully and I can lay up resinous cloth structures.
Throw me $15,000 and I'll make it happen! :)

edit: by the way...how would this make you a douche? Pay me to build it and you'd be my best friend and I can vouchsafe that my BFF could NEVER be a douche! hehe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts