Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this might be a dumb question, but does any body know of a good way to clean the gunk and grime off of their moters?? ive been using wax tar and grease remover with rags then taking a wet rag after that to get the streaks and junk like that, could probably use a brush or somthing but idk, i don't have much for equiptment such as presure washers and stuff

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Not a dumb question - go to your local auto parts dealer and check out what they offer for cleaning grease. I've used this stuff called Greased Lightning cleaner degreaser (in a purple bottle) with good results. It doesn't harm the engine finish, is nontoxic to the environment and is not very pricey and best of all works. They may have 5 or 6 other offerings there that do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
on the advice of others here, I use Simple Green (I originally thought it would hurt the aluminum) and a heavy scrub brush. Worked great. Rinse the engine very well after you're done, and make sure you seal up all the little holes, though.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
tide works pretty good at the car wash

even beter when you mix it with some Ajax liquid detergent

not the anti-bacterial type

cheap that way too

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
after you've done the above, hit it with some semichrome polish and a dead toothbrush, then buff it out. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Aluminum wheel cleaner. you spray it on, let is sit and then pressure wash it off. Brake cleaner works good on greasy and oily spots.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Oven cleaner. Didn't we just discuss this a couple days ago?

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

Oven cleaner. Didn't we just discuss this a couple days ago?
Yeah I think so. IIRC, pissing on your engine after a night of heavy drinking does the trick pretty good, but you gotta get the thing nice and hot beforehand (the motor, not your pee-pee).

Easy-off works fine, too, especially if you want to chemically etch the aluminum parts to a nice dark gray!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

tide works pretty good at the car wash
Bingo. Go to one of those u-do-it car washes with the high power sprayers. Spend the extra $0.25 for the soapy hot water, and let'er rip.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I've used oven cleaner lots of times, not letting it sit too long, and no discoloration.

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

I've used oven cleaner lots of times, not letting it sit too long, and no discoloration.
yup, the temporal aspect is an important one...i found out the hard way [:I]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts