Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Your bike is beautiful. Just curious.......and I don't k now if this is like asking a woman her age or how much a person makes but........ what is the ball park restoration cost. Just for education.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. There was the cost of restoring the CB750 and the cost of acquiring all the Dunstall parts. The restoration costs are probably similar for any vintage Japanese 4, so I will focus on the Dunstall items. I collected parts for 9 years to get all the Dunstall items so this was a long term project. That is probably the biggest issue with trying to get the Dunstall items, they won't all be for sale at the same time. It will take years to get everything unless you get a bike that already has the Dunstall kit. The rarest items are the original windscreen, rearsets, and exhaust.

Tank - replica, not original Dunstall - $500
Seat - used original Dunstall - $100
Fairing - used original Dunstall - $100
Rearsets - used original Dunstall but sold as Commando units - obviously not for a Commando so I got a decent deal - $100
Front Fender - replica, Glass From the Past - $50
Exhaust - nos Dunstall - $400
Mufflers - replica Dunstall Decibels (not Emgo) - $250
Windscreen - nos Dunstall but I had to buy another entire fairing to get it - $250
Fairing Lowers - replica, Glass From the Past - not on the bike - $150
Clip-ons - nos Dunstall - $100

There are also the muffler/passenger peg/centerstand stop mounts that were Dunstall specific and originally came with the exhaust. I had to buy another used exhaust system to get them but sold it for a small profit so those were basically free. I still have the extra nos Dunstall fairing that I had to buy to get the windscreen. I have tried to sell it a few times but never really got any bites. There is a steering damper and the dual disk that were Dunstall options but I don't consider them part of the kit. The dual disk was built using Honda parts and the damper is from a Guzzi. Dunstall also offered a cam, big bore kit, and head work but there are better options for the CB750 than old Dunstall engine parts. All told the kits parts or replica items came to about $2000. The costs of paint, polish, and chrome was just mixed into the general restoration costs so I don't really consider them Dunstall specific.

HTH
Scott

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I like the resto. I like the Dunstall style. I like the fact the fairing is big enough for a days fast riding in inclement weather.

Also I like that you look almost exactly how I look riding a bike.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Well thanks for the info Scott.......very nice machine. To be honest I was briefly tempted to make a trip to Thousand Oaks and see if I might finagle for 1 of the bikes. To be honest I was just a little scared of a restoration cost though.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts